Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday's Joe Rogan Experience interview had positive mentions of Tesla too:

IMO Tesla should really have blanketed Joe's roof with active tiles even if it's technically an inefficient installation, and discounted the installation price - the PR value would have been enormous ...
IMO it would be worth it if a bunch of us got together and paid to blanket Joe's house with solar tiles.

Reactions: AZRI11
"A 3 hr tour".

EGe7hDUU8AAaX3g.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
...He also disclosed that he talked to Elon about the Tesla Pickup Truck, and Elon said:

"I sent Elon a picture of a truck and I said hey man this looks f*cking dope, he's like that's not really our truck mmm yeah he said it was his words it "it's more blade runner-esque" that's what he said it's more than that"
The pickup truck picture Joe Rogan sent to Elon was this fan render:

94847097-3EAF-4993-ABF3-A6C74FE0CEB7.jpeg
I mean, cool and all, but ...?...

Other Tesla bits from Joe Rogan's show is that he tried to get the Solar Roof, but his roof didn't have the right pitch:

"we were going to get the Tesla roof panels but our roof has the wrong pitch for whatever that means out direction yeah so we have another set up another solar panel"
IMO Tesla should really have blanketed Joe's roof with active tiles even if it's technically an inefficient installation, and discounted the installation price - the PR value would have been enormous ...

Given he is going to install panels instead, I don't think it is a direct efficency issue. It could be the roof is either too shallow /flat to shed water correctly, or too steep to install safely. There are also the internal appearance louvers which could block too much light/ look bad from the ground if installed at the wrong angle.

Ha ha, they are on strike and don't even have a contract, yet GM is requesting unpaid overtime.:)

Even if there's good Shanghai news (which is not a given - the GF3 construction timeline was extremely compressed and a few weeks of delay would be well within the margin of error), I'd expect Tesla to withhold any developments for the Q3 earnings report and earnings call on October 23.

Tesla might wait to announce it but the market always finds out about this sort of thing first. The drone videos don't lie. ;)

Mod: there are perfectly good (and very long) threads about the environmental effects of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere over in the environment forum: Energy, Environment, and Policy .

For courtesy, I have preserved the posts from this thread in a newly created thread, but it really shouldn't be here. It should be over there. So don't talk about it here. --ggr

• Helpful
Reactions: Fact Checking
Any guesses on what percent of FSD revenue Tesla can now recognize? Will it be just a simple breakdown based on advertised features or based on functionality? If it's a simple breakdown then we are looking at 4 out of 6 features delivered. Plugging in some numbers below.

• Say 20% of cars (I have no idea what the number is but some of you may) have FSD
  • average FSD sale price $4k? (some pay 6k, some paid 2k)
  • Last quarter's average margin was about 19%
  • Average car sale price at 60k.
  • FSD revenue can be recognized at 66%
$533 in new margin on average per car + $11,400 (old margin) / $60k = new margin of 19.8% That's just going forward, not accounting for past sales that can now be recognized. (I have not accounted for Tesla's costs to build out/upgrade the software of course)

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
Yesterday's Joe Rogan Experience interview had positive mentions of Tesla too:

(Starting at timestamp 1:10:50)

He also disclosed that he talked to Elon about the Tesla Pickup Truck, and Elon said:

"I sent Elon a picture of a truck and I said hey man this looks f*cking dope, he's like that's not really our truck mmm yeah he said it was his words it "it's more blade runner-esque" that's what he said it's more than that"
The pickup truck picture Joe Rogan sent to Elon was this fan render:

Other Tesla bits from Joe Rogan's show is that he tried to get the Solar Roof, but his roof didn't have the right pitch:

"we were going to get the Tesla roof panels but our roof has the wrong pitch for whatever that means out direction yeah so we have another set up another solar panel"​

Yeah, he has been a huge booster for Tesla.

I actually love this render. That's kinda what I'm picturing. A basic pickup shape but futuristic and cool as heck.

Any guesses on what percent of FSD revenue Tesla can now recognize? Will it be just a simple breakdown based on advertised features or based on functionality? If it's a simple breakdown then we are looking at 4 out of 6 features delivered. Plugging in some numbers below.

• Say 20% of cars (I have no idea what the number is but some of you may) have FSD
  • average FSD sale price $4k? (some pay 6k, some paid 2k)
  • Last quarter's average margin was about 19%
  • Average car sale price at 60k.
  • FSD revenue can be recognized at 66%
$533 in new margin on average per car + $11,400 (old margin) / $60k = new margin of 19.8% That's just going forward, not accounting for past sales that can now be recognized. (I have not accounted for Tesla's costs to build out/upgrade the software of course)

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

I think FSD revenue will provide a nice boost this quarter but I don't think they will recognize the deferred revenue at anything approaching 66%. There's a lot of future benefit for recognizing it more gradually. It's a tool that can be used to make quarterly results overall more consistent. Wall Street rewards "steady as she goes"..

Max Pain is 240 today, or so Grand @Papafox discussed. It'll probably try to push for it for a bit, if not most of the day.

Today is a cliffhanger. Hedge funds won't likely regain their usual afternoon strength to push down that low as long as volume is high and word of the China meeting results stretches into after hours.

I think FSD revenue will provide a nice boost this quarter but I don't think they will recognize the deferred revenue at anything approaching 66%. There's a lot of future benefit for recognizing it more gradually. It's a tool that can be used to make quarterly results overall more consistent. Wall Street rewards "steady as she goes"..
I'm leaning that way as well. Seems risky to call it out by feature rather than total functionality, but that's up to their accountants I suppose.