Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a pretty good idea of SR+/AWD/P splits in Europe from sites like eu-evs.com. @Troy's surveys also provide mix and option take rate info. Surveys suffer from self-selection bias, but that doesn't change dramatically from one quarter to the next so the trendlines are pretty good. Check out the Near-future quarterly financial projections thread for spreadsheets from @luvb2b, @EVNow and others plus good discussion of the inputs to their models.

Of course, a Tesla costs far less to make now than it did a year ago, and Tesla has almost entirely weaned itself off of US tax credits (indeed, if US credits ever get reinstated... geez, I hope they have three operational vehicle gigafactories by then!), and it's now operating predominantly on sustained orders rather than backlog, in an ever-growing marketplace (EVs) - while still having more major automarkets to move into, and some of its Q2 expansions not done yet with their initial surges.

I agree with you about the 3 and the Y being on the same platform, but the Y will be designed and built from day 1 with the new wiring harness while it will take a fair amount of modification for the 3 to utilize it. I'm sure that's in Tesla's plans but it's not like you can flip a switch and use it even if they're based on the same platform. I'm sure they will convert the 3 to utilize it, but it will be interesting to see how they do it.

I'm just curious to see if they had the new wiring harness in mind as they put the new factory into use in China... would seem to make sense, but what do I know? Very little after my dream Tuesday night apparently .

China assembly line looks manual. New harness is designed for robotic assembly (also a different electrical setup). Low risk, low cost approach is to keep parts common with US version.

The stock will take off when Tesla shows it can be consistently cash flow positive. Investors thought that would happen after model 3, and it hasn't yet. When Musk claimed constently profitable going forward, and then Q1 happened, that left permanent damage to the stock that will not come back until profits come back.

Tesla is consistently cash flow positive. Q3/Q4 2018 and Q2 2019 were positive FCF. Q1 2019 was negative mainly in part to a 920 debt repayment which they paid in cash.

Did you mean to say consistently profitable on a GAAP earnings basis?

What are your thoughts on what the Model Y does for the company's financials?

It should be a huge profit center. Many people who were first considering the Model 3, might now be waiting for the Model Y. I may be one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the pent up demand is so large, that the Model Y could be priced to allow for a significant profit margin. The same could likely be true for the pickup truck. :cool:

Texas is right up there with you. There is so much wind excess power at night, my energy provider offers free power at night (to try to modify the demand curve). Guess when I charge my Tesla.
I got a lot of "likes" on this, so I’ll expand further.

My old energy plan was provider's-choice for source at $0.096/kWhr energy charge. The new plan is all renewable: solar days (0600-2100) at $0.163/kWe and wind nights at $0.00. When all the transmission charges were taken into account, I would break even if my night/day usage ratio was 35/65 or higher.

I don't drive much - maybe 600 mi/month. But with the new plan I’m still saving 10-35% (determined mostly by how much the home AC is running during the day) over the old plan (as long as I still charge at home every night). But an interesting observation is that even if I started driving a lot, an 11 kW charging rate could still completely recharge a 75 kWhr EV battery in the 9 hr window of free energy. So if I started driving 300 mi/day instead of 20 my electric bill would not change!

This seems to show the potential for an excellent synergy between abundant wind power and electric vehicles.
Since there is (currently) no good grid storage for excess wind energy during off-peak use, the EV batteries serve that role. The energy provider charges a higher rate during peak hours (essentially getting some income from this otherwise spilled power) and the consumer potentially still saves money (depending on usage patterns).

This will all change if 1) there are enough EVs charging at night to significantly change the demand curve and/or 2) grid-scale energy storage comes online.

Last edited:
Where does Tesla spend the bulk of its precious R&D dollars? The Y will be the new volume product, Pickup and its variants (read SUV) has the makings of being the new high profit margin product easily outselling the S/X multiple times. The Semi being a transformative force for over the road trucking.

The debut of the Pickup next month is major. The next couple of years will be exciting for Tesla.

Tesla's R&D dollars aren't that precious. Tesla is not capital constrained.

Barring major world wide recession Tesla is supposed to be swimming in it by second half of 2020.

It should be a huge profit center. Many people who were first considering the Model 3, might now be waiting for the Model Y. I may be one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the pent up demand is so large, that the Model Y could be priced to allow for a significant profit margin. The same could likely be true for the pickup truck. :cool:
I don't think that is the case on pent up demand. Most people don't know that the model Y exists. I've talked to several folks that were considering Teslas and had zero idea that a small SUV was coming out next year. (anecdotal but that's all I have)

I definitely think it will be very successful as it ramps and people realize it is a thing.

This seems to show the potential for an excellent synergy between abundant wind power and electric vehicles. Since there is (currently) no good grid storage for excess wind energy during off-peak use, the EV batteries serve that role. The energy provider charges a higher rate during peak hours (essentially getting some income from this otherwise spilled power) and the consumer potentially still saves money (depending on usage patterns).
It's going to be very interesting once we can use our cars as accessible grid storage. I expect our charging will be free or they will be paying us for the privilege.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
Replace Y with 3 and you have this board in 2016. The stock will take off when it takes off. No one here knows when that'll happen.

I agree, but only to a point. Here's what's going on broadly with regard to when we will see more profitability/recognition and appreciation:

Many years ago Musk saw that the declining cost curves of batteries and associated components was going to intersect and pass the cost curves of ICE cars but that no ICE manufacturer was going to be prepared to hit the ground running with EV's (for numerous reasons). Not only would this be bad for AGW, but it also spelled opportunity. So Tesla has now positioned itself exceedingly well and the cost curves are just now starting to come into line.

However, Musk was a little too optimistic with regard to the kind of production efficiency he could achieve with the Model 3. The fact that they spent extra money making the car extra good didn't help. Specifically, the super safe and highly engineered chassis, the glass roof that improves safety, interior volume and aerodynamics (as well as making the cabin feel light and airy), the responsive suspension and electric steering with redundant power feeds, the low rolling friction Brembo brakes, the spun-cast and roll-forged 18" wheels, the durable, comfy seats engineered and produced in-house, the the durable and highly reliable powertrain, the high-tech silicon carbide power inverters, etc., etc. etc. It's really too "nice", too well equipped with high-quality components and too durable and long-lasting for a true mass-market car. But they knew they were going to disrupt some of the richest and most powerful people in the world so they couldn't show up to a gunfight with only a knife. The FUD was going to be running thick and strong and they needed to be ready for it. They needed a car beyond reproach. I think they made the safe choice although it definitely delayed the milestone of large and sustained profitability.

But remember the declining cost curves of BEV's. It's just a matter of time. And Tesla's position in the BEV space is basically beyond reproach based on the strength of its products to date. As long as Tesla keeps its development efforts of its core technologies and software ahead of the game and continues to increase manufacturing volumes and efficiencies, they will be able to offer more compelling BEV's than the competition which will make them untouchable for the foreseeable future. The declining cost curves will drop Tesla into a very enviable position. It didn't happen with Model 3 because Tesla played the safe side of the cost/quality curve because they knew their products would be under a microscope.

Wall Steet wants to see the money, not next year, right now. That's all they care about. They have no vision and no soul. They think EV's are just electric motors hooked up to a bunch of batteries (everyone knows the red wire goes to "+" and the black wire goes to "-"). How hard can it be, right? Didn't everyone play with electric motors as a kid?

So, I agree, no one knows exactly when the future value of Tesla will be fully recognized in the share price but you can bet it's a lot closer than it was in 2014. It's completely normal for speculative stocks like TSLA to not appreciate steadily and gradually but instead to do it in fits and spurts of 5 or 10 years, especially when you are not selling the latest fashions or the coolest new widget but, are building a global heavy manufacturing capability to take on established multi-billion dollar companies and deeply entrenched oil and gas interests. What Amazon has done is incredible. This is orders of magnitude more difficult. The really difficult part has been accomplished (technological lead and volume manufacturing with good gross margins). It's really just a matter of continuing to expand, release new models and watching the battery/motor/controller cost curve continue to decline. Wall Street won't come around until it's so obvious even Homer Simpson can see it.

Last edited:
I expect the China launch to go quite smooth. Two points.

-I have done a few transfers of manufacturing into China and they went amazingly well. The amount of resources applied is incredible and they meet the timelines. They can afford to have more people so what might take a week here gets done in a day or so in China. In the end they may not be as efficient in labor hours/car but they are more efficient in $$/car.

-The model 3 is now a stable design so they will not be dealing with design issues as they ramp production.
Yes, it might - or it might not.

All I'm saying is - I won't make investment decisions assuming quick GF3 ramp up. Any production we get there is an upside.

Getting back to original comments I was responding to about whether Tesla can sell enough Model 3s to hit 360k for 2019 - well, yes they can !

Even if there is zero output from GF3 - they can draw down the inventory - which normally happens in Q4. They have ~15k Model 3s in inventory. Instead of GF3 making 5k cars, they can sell inventory cars to hit the 360k mark.

James Stephenson on Twitter

upload_2019-10-3_17-57-41.png

I got a lot of "likes" on this, so I’ll expand further.

My old energy plan was provider's-choice for source at $0.096/kWhr energy charge. The new plan is all renewable: solar days (0600-2100) at $0.163/kWe and wind nights at $0.00. When all the transmission charges were taken into account, I would break even if my night/day usage ratio was 35/65 or higher.

I don't drive much - maybe 600 mi/month. But with the new plan I’m still saving 10-35% (determined mostly by how much the home AC is running during the day) over the old plan (as long as I still charge at home every night). But an interesting observation is that even if I started driving a lot, an 11 kW charging rate could still completely recharge a 75 kWhr EV battery in the 9 hr window of free energy. So if I started driving 300 mi/day instead of 20 my electric bill would not change!

This seems to show the potential for an excellent synergy between abundant wind power and electric vehicles.
Since there is (currently) no good grid storage for excess wind energy during off-peak use, the EV batteries serve that role. The energy provider charges a higher rate during peak hours (essentially getting some income from this otherwise spilled power) and the consumer potentially still saves money (depending on usage patterns).

This will all change if 1) there are enough EVs charging at night to significantly change the demand curve and/or 2) grid-scale energy storage comes online.
Excellent stuff. Have you seen this?

Storage developer plans to bring batteries to 149 MW Texas wind portfolio in SPP territory

Yeah, Kansas and Texas being leaders in Wind Energy is amazing. Just goes to show that even if you don't care or don't agree with climate issues or don't want more pollution controls, green energy is compelling on a pure profit perspective.
There are other interesting synergies going on as well. In Texas, the big wind farms are out in the Panhandle and Trans-Pecos, and the big consumers are Austin, San Antonio, DFW and Houston in the east. In an amazing feat of forward thinking, the state authorize a huge upgrade in the transmission grid to move all that wind power

This may have been the catalyst to finally open the floodgates for Texas solar. There is a LOT of west Texas acreage that is well-suited for solar, and now the transmission capability is ready and waiting.

Without "funding secured", "pedo guy", "let's go to youtube" and with a bit more careful setting of expectations (not sandbagging, just more clear messaging of the insanely ambitious goals), we would have hit $400 easily already.
While you're at it would you mind telling me next week's lotto numbers?