Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Netherlands, many people will decide to buy a Model 3 before the end of 2019, since then tax benefits go down as of 1/1/2020. The previous tax cliff caused 12K Model S/X deliveries in H2 2018, so I expect H2 2019 to be a multiple of that for Model 3 (in the Netherlands alone).

There’s a ship at pier 80, it looks like Tesla will unwind the wave by starting shipping to Europe earlier in the quarter, and stop shipping earlier in the quarter so that there’s less inventory in transit at the end of the quarter.

I expect almost double sales figures for the Netherlands, even some leasing companies will stock up M3 with lower tax benefits. the only issue is that Q4 will end for leasing companies beginning of November 2019 and the start of the quarters are a bit (understatement) slow.

I really do hope they won't stop near the end of the quarter. However if we see a change in shipments, more to Europe instead of China, we can epect a GF3 start.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I have thought a little more about deliveries in the next few quarters. Here are my current estimates:

PfypuG2.png

Some people will probably say 69K Model 3 deliveries in Q3 looks low. Why would it be less than Q2 2019? I can think of two reasons:
  • In Europe, there are no more reservation holders left. In Q2 2019, 18,279 Model 3s were sold in Europe and some of them were purchased by reservation holders. Let's say if 7K out of 18K were reservation holders, the demand in Europe going forward will be 11K, not 18K because you can't count reservation holders in Q3 anymore because there are no more reservation holders left. Tesla cleared the reservation queue in North America in Q4 2018 and in Europe in Q2 2019. Of course, demand keeps increasing. If sustainable demand was 11K in Europe, it might increase to 14K but I think it's still likely to be less than Q2. However, deliveries to the UK will make a difference. Therefore I will keep updating my Q3 delivery estimate. I will make another calculation around 10 Aug 2019 when we have the Eu numbers for July.
  • In the US, some buyers who didn't need a new car yet still bought it in Q2 because they didn't want to lose out on federal tax credits which dropped by $1875 for deliveries after 30 June 2019.
By the way, here is my accuracy in the last two quarters. Q1 was a difficult quarter. Model 3 deliveries were 10K lower than most people expected and there was a big drop in S/X deliveries. You can see the accuracy of all my estimates since Q2 2018 here.

iedA4HO.png

I like starting with pessimistic number and raising estimates as data comes in.
Thank You for doing your estimates, a lot of people are underestimating it's value.

But I agree with others worldwide demand and EU reservations are things you are underestimating. So even if because of logistics or whatever hiccup Q3 deliveries will be in 90-95k, production will be strong and this will make 120k in Q4 deliveries.

Last edited:
I can't believe Elon Musk will pass up an opportunity to improve things at GF3.

New factory, new layout, new crew, new country, new language. There's enough variables in the China equation without unnecessary changes when there's so much at stake.

Fremont is safer and easier to experiment with. And a heck of a lot closer to key personnel.

Jonas is an unpopular fellow on these boards but he was bang on right when he implored Elon to raise capital at +350 prices. He may or may not be completely wrong with his updated sales forecasts (I personally think he is wrong).

But ignore his concluding remark at your peril:
“we believe the conviction, passion and time horizon of the prevailing bear case in the market may take several more months or quarters to break”.

Except that he's been advising Tesla to raise capital every week for the last 10 years...

I think the moment one car comes off the line, we'll see a significant SP bump - Wall Street seem to either be in denial or are wilfully ignoring it, will be a big wake-up call IMO.

I just realised how spoiled we are:

In a timeframe of less than a year, Tesla will have managed to build a fully owned factory that produces state-of-the-art EVs.

Shorts were laughing when they saw Elon standing near a swamp holding his speech during the official announcement ceremony in China. Remember the discussing about the 'fake machines' to begin the foundations? Or it was al a big diversion because Fremont couldn't get passed 5k/week?

And yet, here we are at this point halfway the year: a record build has been achieved and production equipment is on its way or is already being installed.

Arguing how much cars are rolling out out of the assembly line , is almost absurd for both bulls and bears.
Even if GF3 produces only ten cars in december, then Tesla has already achieved the equivalent of landing a rocket without rapid disassembly!

Context is everything. Example: I own land that's been degraded by a millennium of overgrazing; while in ancient times it surely was home to birch forest, today it's 50% poor grassland and 50% gravel barrens (well, and some iron bogs, but they're good and shall remain boggy). The canyon slopes are subject to landslides as a result of the degradation. Simple restoration of the soil by fertilizer (it's highly phosphorus and nitrogen deficient), manure, or seeding leguminous plants can increase the amount of carbon in the soil (and overland) dramatically in 5-10 years or so - about 10t/ha aboveground and ~120t/ha underground to the gravel barrens, somewhat less for the poor grasslands. Reforestation (taiga species) would add another ~80t/ha aboveground and ~50t/ha underground over several decades. So long as the biome remains "forest", the carbon sequestered will not decline, as new trees replace ones that die - indeed, mature trees would continue to seed the barrens around them, expanding their groves and continuing to lock up more carbon. So long as grasslands are not allowed to become overgrazed again, their carbon, too, will remain locked up.

I have 8ha. That's a lot of carbon sequestration potential just from restoration and reforestation - something like 2000t when all is said and done. Honestly, the only thing that stops me from doing more is how much money I have to sink into things like soil restoration or buying seedlings. Even the smallest conifer seedlings I can get are ~$2 each, which would mean tens of thousands of dollars in reforestation costs. If I want larger trees that get the job done sooner, they're even more expensive. I've already spent many hundreds of dollars on fertilizer, and probably need to spend thousands more to get phosphorus up to normal. And whether I do nitrogen from synthetic fertilizers, paying for dozens of manure spreader truckloads, or legume planting, that too will come with a significant price tag.

Or to put it another way... cash does sequester carbon.

(On that note, if anyone wants to sequester some carbon, you're more than welcome to support restoration or reforestation plans on my land - I'd do all the grunt work, and send photos of your plants ;) Realistically, though, I expect this to just be a project that I slowly fund myself over the course of decades)
Do you have a GoFundMe?

I have thought a little more about deliveries in the next few quarters. Here are my current estimates:

PfypuG2.png

Some people will probably say 69K Model 3 deliveries in Q3 looks low. Why would it be less than Q2 2019? I can think of two reasons:
  • In Europe, there are no more reservation holders left. In Q2 2019, 18,279 Model 3s were sold in Europe and some of them were purchased by reservation holders. Let's say if 7K out of 18K were reservation holders, the demand in Europe going forward will be 11K, not 18K because you can't count reservation holders in Q3 anymore because there are no more reservation holders left. Tesla cleared the reservation queue in North America in Q4 2018 and in Europe in Q2 2019. Of course, demand keeps increasing. If sustainable demand was 11K in Europe, it might increase to 14K but I think it's still likely to be less than Q2. However, deliveries to the UK will make a difference. Therefore I will keep updating my Q3 delivery estimate. I will make another calculation around 10 Aug 2019 when we have the Eu numbers for July.
  • In the US, some buyers who didn't need a new car yet still bought it in Q2 because they didn't want to lose out on federal tax credits which dropped by $1875 for deliveries after 30 June 2019.
By the way, here is my accuracy in the last two quarters. Q1 was a difficult quarter. Model 3 deliveries were 10K lower than most people expected and there was a big drop in S/X deliveries. You can see the accuracy of all my estimates since Q2 2018 here.

iedA4HO.png
I think the estimates are on the very low side and deliveries will be 105k +/- 5%.

Reasons:
1) delivery overhang from Q1
2) Raven S/X have not arrived in Europe in any meaningful numbers. If there is any inventory at all in a given country, it's still heavily discounted pre-Raven models. Many waiting for an upgrade of their old S/X, and for some 3 is too small. Also, in US the upgrade wave is still running beside new demand.
3) Not all Europeans with reservations have bought or cancelled. Some just waited a little bit longer till quality is guaranteed or for other reasons. I personally reserved a 3 very early and may pull the trigger finally in September.
4) Europe Model 3, second wave of buyers after early adopters increases. People see their friends and neighbours driving a Model 3 and also want one. As it happened in US, and no demand cliff due to disappearing subsidies.
5) US, model 3, 3rd wave of buyers, reaching areas with low density Tesla concentration.
6) Last but not least. The SP does well as of lately. Many Tesla fans own the stock, and a windfall gain from there may make the decision to buy the actual product much easier.

What could go wrong and destroy this case (beside exotic tail ends):
7) communication, for example making people wait for the next generation of products, as Y and X/S Maxwell upgrade.
8) execution missteps.

What could surprise on the upper end:
9) China regulatory changes (to which I think too small attention is paid) could trigger a delivery surprise upwards. Not everyone wants to wait another 6-9 months, and if you look at current China import number for luxury cars, Tesla numbers are ridiculously low so far.

To me, all this FSD available soon and appreciating asset talk is kind of a blue crystal thing. It keeps people thinking and talking about Tesla, keeping and gaining mindshare. Given the history and the experience in my own model S with self parking and auto lane changing, I see not much of a chance, less than 20%. Should it come, against my expectations, well, it's like an unexpected bonus or a tail end case on the positive side.

Interesting information from DigiTimes

CFTC to hike components shipments to Tesla

Precision stamping service provider China FineBlanking Technology (CFTC) will increase monthly shipments of components for relays used in Tesla Model 3 from about 20,000 units currently to 40,000 beginning August 2019, according to industry sources.

Looks like 360,000-400,000 might be conservative

Jonas is an unpopular fellow on these boards but he was bang on right when he implored Elon to raise capital at +350 prices. He may or may not be completely wrong with his updated sales forecasts (I personally think he is wrong).

But ignore his concluding remark at your peril:
“we believe the conviction, passion and time horizon of the prevailing bear case in the market may take several more months or quarters to break”.

Considering my investment horizons, which is 10+ years, I really don’t care much about several-month or several-quarter short term fluctuations. Even if there is a short squeeze, I would not try to sell into that wave.

I know words from these so-called analysts will influence people’s trading decisions. But I’m not good at understanding other investors’ sentiment or institutions’ manipulation. Nor do I think anyone can predict these things. One can only speculate. But I do understand the company, their products, technology and their shortcomings.

Interesting information from DigiTimes

Precision stamping service provider China FineBlanking Technology (CFTC) will increase monthly shipments of components for relays used in Tesla Model 3 from about 20,000 units currently to 40,000 beginning August 2019, according to industry sources.

Looks like 360,000-400,000 might be conservative

Very interesting news! But it is hard to know what it means for sure without knowing how many CFTC relays each Model 3 has and if CFTC is currently the sole supplier.

Combined with Jerome's email this seems highly suggestive that Tesla is ready for a sustained 10k per week Model 3 production between Fremont and GF3. The timing suggests GF3 is on track to ramp to 3k per week very quickly.

A few weeks back, I loaned myself €6k and bought 31 shares @ $215 - this was with the idea that the SP was heading north as I'd need the money back mid-July and I was hoping to get a handful of free shares from the deal. I have to say it's looking positive.

I've a sell order at $250, which would net me $1085, so taking into account brokerage fees and taxes, I'll get 4 extra shares, just need another 4% from here, come on $TSLA!

Sooooo, I'm thinking about that leaked memo. How fast IS Shanghai going to come up? It is basically a copy-and-paste job (none of this "learning how to make a car production line" stuff which Fremont repeatedly dealt with). I could see the first cars coming out in early October, with volume production in January.

Everything seems on track for GF3 ramp, particularly with this latest news about Tesla doubling its CFTC relay orders from August.
The main question mark is on battery cell supply - it doesn't look like Tesla has awarded any cell supply contracts to local manufacturers. Given how regularly early stage cell discussions were leaked previously, I think we'd have heard if anything was signed.

My read is that Tesla was preparing to sign local cell suppliers as a contingency, but they knew they were making progress on persuading China to remove its battery cell white list for local supply. This white list was removed last month which I think opens the door to supply GF3 fully with Panasonic cells from GF1 or the Japan S/X factory.

We know Tesla is bringing on c.10Gwh new supply at GF1 in the next 6 months. We also know Tesla needs about 10Gwh new supply in GF3 by the end of the year.

Cell supply might look something like this:

GF1 cell for SR+ packs - 4.5k per week - 13Gwh
GF1 cells for LR packs - 2.5k per week - 10Gwh
GF1 cells for SR+ packs at GF3 - 3k per week - 8.6Gwh
GF1 cells for Tesla Energy - 3 Gwh. During the ramp to 35Gwh, it is possible for Tesla to use other suppliers for Tesla Energy if cells become a bottleneck to GF3 ramp.
Total GF1 - 35Gwh
Japan S/X factory - c.9Gwh capacity.
Likely currently at c.4.5Gwh production with plans to ramp back towards 9Gwh. Alternatively if Tesla doesn't plan to ramp S/X back up, half the 18650 cell lines in Japan could be converted to 2170 to supply GF3.

I think it is almost impossible for Tesla Energy to suddenly ramp to 12Gwh as many people seem to suggest as an explanation for the continued ramp at GF1. Tesla's guidance is for 2-3Gwh - there is a very long lead time on most utility scale grid projects, and Tesla does not yet have the pack/inverter etc production capacity for a sudden massive storage ramp.​

Beyond 2019 and in preparation for Model Y, it seems Tesla has a firm cell supply plan, but it also seems like Panasonic does not know what it is and has not been awarded a new supply contract. I think this very likely means Tesla is planning to supply Model Y with in-house cell production. This would require Tesla starting to build out its own cell capacity this year. In fact i think there is a good chance this is what the capital raise was for (remember in 3Q18 Tesla started adding this disclaimer to its capex forecast "consistent with our current strategy of using a partner to manufacture cells, as well as ..., we currently estimate that capital expenditures will be between $2.5 to $3.0 billion annually for the next two fiscal years.") Tesla has recently made significant space in GF1 by removing the old LR module/pack lines and shipping to GF3, so it is possible they could start to build cell capacity in GF1 before any further external construction. In its first iteration I think Tesla's cells are unlikely to use Maxwell tech, but you never know.

Last edited:
When will the market start realizing that the only way is up for Tesla from now on? I think at least 8 consecutive quarters of record deliveries are guaranteed if they just execute, and it will likely not stop there.
So woteru sayin? Adam "Air Pockets" Jonas is right about bankwupsy in 2022? :p

Cheers!

PfypuG2.png

iedA4HO.png

i think you do a decent job of estimating delivery numbers and you are generally transparent on your methods, but it is super misleading to be like "here are my estimates ... by the way here's a chart implying my estimates are 95% accurate" when you don't mention that those "95% accurate" estimates are merely your "final" estimates you make about a week before the end of the quarter, and the estimates you're posting today, several months out, are routinely off by 20% or more -- pretty much the same as the rest of us.

Yes, and I hate it when people try to hide their bad predictions.

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428436

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428437

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428439

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428440

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428441

Troy Teslike on Twitter
View attachment 428443

I fully own up to my mistakes. While I got Q3 and Q4 right, I totally screwed up in Q1 - I simply didn't realize that as many vehicles as they were sending overseas, they had planned to send far more - then had to scramble to pull a last-minute domestic surge to try to compensate (half of said stimulus which was rolled back for Q2 - base price nearly $40k rather than $35k). I made a mistake, and I admit to the mistake when talking about Q1 - without prompting.

If you want to play prophet, you better be willing to own up to when you get things wrong. You got Q2 very, very wrong, because you falsely interpreted Q1 as being a demand problem - a mistake that you're making yet again. Own up to your mistakes when talking about Q2 - don't pretend like you got it "almost right".
Well said. I think Troy’s early number was even quoted by @ZachShahan and I had suggested Zach to not rely on one estimate as individual estimates can be a hit or a miss.

What was even more puzzling that Troy ignored or discounted Elon’s email even in his May 26 forecast. Plus we knew that the order rates in Model 3 tracker was much higher than Q1. I mean Elon’s email should have been given the most weight as he has the best inside information. He may be off by a few thousands but the gap of 91k vs 72k didn’t make sense. People can argue on Q1 profit comment from Elon but he won’t be making these mistakes again and again. (I know some of you are chuckling at this last comment but it is fair).

Last edited:
Context is everything. Example: I own land that's been degraded by a millennium of overgrazing; while in ancient times it surely was home to birch forest, today it's 50% poor grassland and 50% gravel barrens (well, and some iron bogs, but they're good and shall remain boggy). The canyon slopes are subject to landslides as a result of the degradation. Simple restoration of the soil by fertilizer (it's highly phosphorus and nitrogen deficient), manure, or seeding leguminous plants can increase the amount of carbon in the soil (and overland) dramatically in 5-10 years or so - about 10t/ha aboveground and ~120t/ha underground to the gravel barrens, somewhat less for the poor grasslands. Reforestation (taiga species) would add another ~80t/ha aboveground and ~50t/ha underground over several decades. So long as the biome remains "forest", the carbon sequestered will not decline, as new trees replace ones that die - indeed, mature trees would continue to seed the barrens around them, expanding their groves and continuing to lock up more carbon. So long as grasslands are not allowed to become overgrazed again, their carbon, too, will remain locked up.

I have 8ha. That's a lot of carbon sequestration potential just from restoration and reforestation - something like 2000t when all is said and done. Honestly, the only thing that stops me from doing more is how much money I have to sink into things like soil restoration or buying seedlings. Even the smallest conifer seedlings I can get are ~$2 each, which would mean tens of thousands of dollars in reforestation costs. If I want larger trees that get the job done sooner, they're even more expensive. I've already spent many hundreds of dollars on fertilizer, and probably need to spend thousands more to get phosphorus up to normal. And whether I do nitrogen from synthetic fertilizers, paying for dozens of manure spreader truckloads, or legume planting, that too will come with a significant price tag.

Or to put it another way... cash does sequester carbon.

(On that note, if anyone wants to sequester some carbon, you're more than welcome to support restoration or reforestation plans on my land - I'd do all the grunt work, and send photos of your plants ;) Realistically, though, I expect this to just be a project that I slowly fund myself over the course of decades)
OT:
FYI - Very cheap. 2-year old seedlings, (about 12") cost about $350 USD/ bundle of 1,000 trees. One person can manually plant 800-1,000 trees in a day with a tree bar or hoedad. My personal record is 800 White Pines in a day, and I'm no athlete. This "planted a tree in Mom's memory" business isn't gonna do it.

But I think the ICE/oil industry planted this distracting tangent. Carbon taxes are needed.

Last edited: