Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, after an accident this becomes a gray area where I'm not sure about what should happen, because there could be a damage to sensors and misinterpretation of what the car "sees".

Maybe it can diagnose them within some milliseconds and decide they are still good and then figure out what's next. Or navigate based on partial sensors still remaining. This is really mind boggling.

There was another poster in the reddit thread claiming the AP wrestled control away from him and changed 2 lanes to avoid side collision.

That would be a total of 2 claims to-date where AP automatically leaves your current lane.
I am still not sure this has really happened, because it is not documented.

I think this is freakish somewhat if you have to encounter a scenario where AP takes away your control and drives all over the place - especially if you didn't notice where the danger comes from. This kinda needs documented, so you know what to expect.

During Investor's Autonomy Day Karparthy stated that the software continuously verifies the consistency between the sensor input and the orders for the actuators. So in principle the car should be able to react reasonably even during an unfolding accident.

I speculate that the psychological stress from experiencing a near-miss while driving can be amplified when the AP/FSD does something unexpected to avoid or diminish the accident.

I think this stress could be reduced if the FSD computer would use a synthetic voice to concisely announce its actions as they unfold.

Let's say it detects and starts reacting to an impending collision. While doing so it could then say e.g.
"Collision Evasion" - or if during maneuvering it realizes that it is not able to fully avoid the collision, it could complete the already spoken "Collision" with "from behind" - or something along those lines.

And I fully agree that to reduce the stress of driving, Tesla should make it known how the car can react - e.g. with a little textual slide show, played while upgrading the firmware, or maybe during charging.

Incorrect, for example WO2018222274, as well as, via Tesla patents new neural AI chip to improve self driving ability:

I'm talking about mainly software. Mobileye has hundreds. Tesla has 0. Even for hardware, that's not even autonomous cars related at all and as Tesla said themselves, neither of those will ever be approved (probably because of prior art or being too broad).

Also patents != application. I can apply to, and receive, patents without them having relevance or practical applications.
Furthermore, MobilEye doesn't do fleet learning. Like, at all. I mean sure, if I was working at MobilEye I'd probably write about them in the same enthusiastic tone as you do.

Do you work for MobilEye?

Also, is it now the norm to use user titles to project competence?

In acouple hours i will post the NN models in the Q4 2017 Eyeq4 versus Tesla's Feb 2019 AP.

But that's kinda my point. If they weren't confident of its success rate, they wouldn't enable code that has the potential to kill multiple people (swerving into an active lane of traffic).

I meant in terms of accident avoidance of the intended swerve. It probably already prevents swerving the same way it prevents passing if there is traffic in the other lane.

Reactions: mongo
I'm talking about mainly software. Mobileye has hundreds. Tesla has 0. Even for hardware, that's not even autonomous cars related at all and as Tesla said themselves, neither of those will ever be approved (probably because of prior art or being too broad).

In acouple hours i will post the NN models in the Q4 2017 Eyeq4 versus Tesla's Feb 2019 AP.
Please post it in the appropriate forum.

Back to price action, there's some movement in TSLA pps in the pre market right now.

Anybody watching the pre-Market?

BIG spike to $259.67 at around 08:45 EDT.

News?

Total speculation: The cap raise was today..maybe oversubscription or realization that a big supporter bought up a ton of shares?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong), that the new shares issued for the capital raise are delivered today at $243 price to the buyers. So what is the expectation for those ?

:confused: Are the new buyers going to be long holders ? Probably not all.
:( If some of them are bought with the goal of short term profit, at what point can we expect them to be dumped on the market ?
:mad: Immediately today as the SP is more than 5% above their cost ?
:eek: Wait until they make a 10% gain ~$267 and then start selling them at that point as limit order ?

I would guess the last option and so I expect a new resistance at 267.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
beats Tesla in development and deployment of neural net models. When you compare the NN in eyeq4 and what Tesla currently has in production. Its not even close.

Neural network models are not "developed" but "trained", with Large amount of labelled data, and trial and error in setting hyper parameters or tweak of architecture, whose results are again verified by large amount of labelled data. Development of NN is completely nonsense when you don't have access to huge amount of labeled data.

In multiple presentations and blogs Dr. Karparth addressed the hard problem of large scale data labelling and how to automate most of it. He reiterated some of those approaches in autonomous day and how Tesla's large, connected fleet plays a vital role in not only collecting but also filtering labelling of the data.

Unless you provide some evidence to how mobile eye is better at data collection and labelling, you sounds like certain troll on Twitter who likes to say "I know much more about this than you".

I ran across this Ars article about Electrify America's effort to "simplify" electric vehicle charging. Given the benchmark of simplicity set by Tesla, any article with a headline like this one should comprise a single sentence saying something to the effect of, "Just open an account, link your credit card, and plug in at any Electrify America charger." Suffice it to say, it's more complicated than that. Go figure.

Yes. Developers love writing code, hate writing release notes.

That would be the kindergarten variety.

Real developers follow a procedure by which documentation, release information and unit tests(*) are all updated along with the actual code.

(*) Some believe that the unit tests should be written by a separate group of coders who only rely on the documentation (since this helps to test also the documentation), in which case the non-test coder gets to write more detailed documentation (instead of just writing "see unit test code for examples").