Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By "everyone", I mean his shareholders. How did the vote pass with overwhelming support in 2018? Why are they struggling now? Oil and gas didn't suddenly hate him more.

If you followed KoGuan vs Elon's exchanges in December of 2022, you should know that exchange captured the essence of sentiment changes among his supporters. He/they begged him to stop / pause but was/were ignored, even unfollowed.

I'm not someone who cares what people on X think about Elon, but we're talking about his shareholders here. People who have a vested interest in the company. He should take this very seriously.

If he quits, he'll burn so many bridges behind him that I seriously doubt his other companies can survive.
In dec 2022 was when the stock was low and going lower. Then when the stock price was around 300 in July 2023, the screams lessened. Did Elon change between December of 2022 and July of 2023? No. Just shows it’s only about the stock price.

That was when the stock was low and going lower. Then when the stock price was around 300 in July 2023, the screams lessened. Did Elon change between December of 2022 and July of 2023? No. Just shows it’s only about the stock price.
The stock price lost 60% of its value in 2 months because he was dumping shares. Why would they keep screaming after he's done?

I'm not someone who cares what people on X think about Elon, but we're talking about his shareholders here. People who have a vested interest in the company. He should take this very seriously.

If he quits, he'll burn so many bridges behind him that I seriously doubt his other companies can survive.
There're plenty of examples where people act against their own best interest, and just because shareholders have an interest in the company doesn't mean they know how best to run the company, that's why there's a CEO in the first place.

Elon is entitled to quit if this doesn't pass, given voting no basically means shareholders don't want him or his vision and don't want to pay him. His other companies would be fine, SpaceX is already profitable, the rest rely on VCs who has no stake in Tesla.

There're plenty of examples where people act against their own best interest, and just because shareholders have an interest in the company doesn't mean they know how best to run the company, that's why there's a CEO in the first place.

Elon is entitled to quit if this doesn't pass, given voting no basically means shareholders don't want him or his vision and don't want to pay him. His other companies would be fine, SpaceX is already profitable, the rest rely on VCs who has no stake in Tesla.
If a group of investors see what he'd have done to another group of investors, you think he can still "raise $50m with just a phone call" going forward?

A "No" vote does not necessarily mean they don't want to pay him. It may just mean they want more fiduciary commitment out of him. Elon is not perfect.

The stock price lost 60% of its value in 2 months because he was dumping shares. Why would they keep screaming after he's done?
They are screaming again now because the stock price is down from 300 in July. Elon didn’t sell any shares since July.

And the plan passed in 2018 because it would be a massive win for shareholders even if it did cost a lot. The gains far exceeded the costs. Now post plan, there is no “gain” for shareholders other than Elon staying. The situation is completely different. So of course it will be harder to pass. It will be a miracle if this passes again.

They are screaming again now because the stock price is down from 300 in July. Elon didn’t sell any shares since July.

And the plan passed in 2018 because it would be a massive win for shareholders even if it did cost a lot. The gains far exceeded the costs. Now post plan, there is no “gain” for shareholders other than Elon staying. The situation is completely different. So of course it will be harder to pass. It will be a miracle if this passes again.
No, they're not screaming now because of that. They're not screaming at all. They're just irritated that they're being asked to vote. Imagine you've been pissed off in silence for so long and now someone is coming along, poking and giving you a mic, interested in hearing what you have to say. Their loudness is in direct proportion to the effort the Board has put into this campaign.

Imagine nobody cared about your opinion until they needed your vote. You wouldn't speak out loudly?

Last edited:
No, they're not screaming now because of that. They're not screaming at all. They're just irritated that they're being asked to vote. Imagine you've been pissed off in silence for so long and now someone is coming along, poking and giving you a mic, interested in hearing what you have to say. Their loudness is in direct proportion to the effort the Board has put into this campaign.
The vote was for an agreement made. Elon held up his end. Leo profited. Mad or not about what happened since does NOT matter about THAT vote. He can scream, sure. But for Leo to go back on his agreement after Leo was rewarded, is wrong no matter how you slice it.

And trust me, all the shareholder’s “moral objections” would pretty much disappear if we were at ATH right now.

The only ones that can vote no without going back on their word is if they voted no the first time or didn’t/couldn’t vote the first time.

Last edited:
If a group of investors see what he'd have done to another group of investors, you think he can still "raise $50m with just a phone call" going forward?

A "No" vote does not necessarily mean they don't want to pay him. It may just mean they want more fiduciary commitment out of him. Elon is not perfect.
What would he have done to the investors? A no vote would mean investors don't think he's important to retain, so him quitting wouldn't hurt the investors by their own logic. I mean didn't KoGuan claim Tesla needs a new CEO? So there you have it, they *want* him to quit.

Besides, in this scenario it would be the investors who go back on their word and cancelled his compensation plan first, that's the cause of Elon's actions. No VC would be stupid enough to place the blame on Elon.

If investors want some kind of commitment, they're certainly not making it obvious to the board, since I haven't seen anybody express such a thing.

The vote was for an agreement made. Elon held up his end. Leo profited. Mad or not about what happened since does NOT matter about THAT vote. He can scream, sure. But for Leo to go back on his agreement after Leo was rewarded, is wrong no matter how you slice it.

And trust me, everyone’s “morals” would pretty much disappear if we were at ATH right now.
Again.

Either
a/ A large number of shareholders, including KoGuan, turned into assholes for no apparent reason
or
b/ Elon pissed them off in some way

one view leads to resolution, the other does not.

how is it going to cost the company money? It's a vote to leave everything as is.

The question is not whether Elon can read people well. Smart as he is, I'd be very surprised if he sucked at reading people. The question is whether he'll let his ego get the better of him.

You may want to expand your knowledge regarding Autism Spectrum Disorders, of which Elon is "on the spectrum." People experiencing this do not act on "ego," as they are not as tied to this as can be many of the people around them.

Quite the opposite, folks on the spectrum tend to experience more empathy than ego, though they do struggle with showing this while interacting with others.

Here's a deeper dive.

Suffice it to say, it would likely be quite a feat for Elon to "let his ego get the better of him" the way you are concerned about happening.

He is much more likely to accept how the pieces of the puzzle have changed and take that into account as he finds another way to reach the goal in a way that embraces the change.

What would he have done to the investors? A no vote would mean investors don't think he's important to retain, so him quitting wouldn't hurt the investors by their own logic. I mean didn't KoGuan claim Tesla needs a new CEO? So there you have it, they *want* him to quit.

Besides, in this scenario it would be the investors who go back on their word and cancelled his compensation plan first, that's the cause of Elon's actions. No VC would be stupid enough to place the blame on Elon.

If investors want some kind of commitment, they're certainly not making it obvious to the board, since I haven't seen anybody express such a thing.
By quitting, he'd leave the company with half baked projects like FSD and Optimus - financial ruins. You want to invest in a guy who does that to his investors? Not my cup of tea but you do you.

I'm just guessing, but Elon is definitely not rich enough to just leave Tesla be. His big dream is Mars, and for that he'll need billions and billions, and probably Optimus.
Would you just step out butthurt or fight with an appeal the first decision and meanwhile make your millions shares accrue value deploying FSD and making the economy environmentally sustainable?
If he is who I think he is the mission is not accomplished. And Mars is not accomplished.

He could definitely have some obscure plan to leave and come back with better terms, but I don't think he thinks he's done with Tesla.
Leave the real advent of self driving to someone else in a couple years, after the work he's done? no way.

Again.

Either
a/ A large number of shareholders, including KoGuan, turned into assholes for no apparent reason
or
b/ Elon pissed them off in some way

one view leads to resolution, the other does not.
And again, a contract is a contract.

The “resolution” it could lead to is losing even more. Leo wanted Elon ousted in Jan 2023. I never trust an Uber bull because when they go negative, they go negative hard. There’s no middle ground. Dangerous either way.

I hope the following happens:
1. Leo sticks with no vote.
2. It passes regardless.
3. We get to ATH.
4. Leo admits he was wrong. (Still wouldn’t trust him though.)

By quitting, he'd leave the company with half baked projects like FSD and Optimus - financial ruins. You want to invest in a guy does that to his investors? Not my cup of tea but you do you.
Again, if investors vote no, it means they don't want FSD and Optimus, they want a new CEO to return Tesla to a car company, in this case Elon quitting is just doing what they want him to do. If they think Elon leaving the company would mean financial ruins, they wouldn't vote no in the first place.

BTW, here's what KoGuan said in December 2022: "Tesla needs and deserves to have working full time CEO.". Given Elon can't be a full time CEO, it's obvious that he doesn't want Elon as CEO.

Again, if investors vote no, it means they don't want FSD and Optimus, they want a new CEO to return Tesla to a car company, in this case Elon quitting is just doing what they want him to do. If they think Elon leaving the company would mean financial ruins, they wouldn't vote no in the first place.
No, a "No" vote means exactly that, they don't want to pay Elon 10%+ of the company at the moment. Stop with the BS.

Last edited:
By quitting, he'd leave the company with half baked projects like FSD and Optimus - financial ruins. You want to invest in a guy who does that to his investors? Not my cup of tea but you do you.
I don’t think he will quit if it fails. The board can offer another package. And Elon has said for years he never wanted to be the CEO of Tesla. Nothing new there.

These shorts are selling hugely at a long-running low period for the SP where it is unlikely to justify so large of a bet on there being a significant negative movement of the SP. Where is the logic in this?
The shorts are all, so to speak, holding bags of nitro. They need to drop their bags to run away, but if a large enough bag gets dropped all goes “boom!"

The shorts are praying for a miracle. The shareholder vote is the next thing they’ve latched onto, maybe that’ll help them for a bit longer, maybe not.

Previously I couldn’t see how someone could be caught and run over by a steamroller especially while holding a bag of nitro. Now it seems obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
No, a "No" vote means exactly that, they don't want to pay Elon 10%+ of the company. Stop with the BS.
Not BS at all, given Elon already said publicly he's not comfortable continue the AI work at Tesla if he doesn't have more voting control, every investor who vote no should already know this.

And as I posted before, people like KoGuan has been planning to get rid of Elon since 2022, they don't want him as CEO.