Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were these rentals before they started offering the QR code to setup access via the Tesla app and sync your settings? (I think their standard process resets everything to default between renters now, at least when they do it correctly.)

I was simply handed the key card (encased in a big plastic holder) and sent off to the car. No QR code setup.

I had previously made a reservation on-line for the Austin rental. To their credit, Hertz sent a bunch of emails introducing me to Teslas. FWIW, the emails said I had to return it with at least 80% charge. But when I actually rented the car, they said >70% was fine. (Visited my first Buc'ees, and Supercharged there. :D)

The Chicago rental was spur of the moment. There weren't any available when I made the online reservation. But when I arrived and went up to the counter, they actually had one available. They also said >70% was fine.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2024-01-11-21-15-16-143_com.twitter.android-edit.jpg

I was simply handed the key card (encased in a big plastic holder) and sent off to the car. No QR code setup.

I had previously made a reservation on-line for the Austin rental. To their credit, Hertz sent a bunch of emails introducing me to Teslas. FWIW, the emails said I had to return it with at least 80% charge. But when I actually rented the car, they said >70% was fine.

The Chicago rental was spur of the moment. There weren't any available when I made the online reservation. But when I arrived and went up to the counter, they actually had one available.
I can see where EVs could be having a difficult time for Hertz. Even Tesla. There is a learning curve. For people who are given an EV without requesting one, they could be woefully unprepared especially last minute. Non tech savvy / inexperienced people could be completely lost being just handed the key cards, let alone charging the car. Add to that where Hertz employees themselves are often clueless, just adds to the confusion and poor experience.

But Hertz could reduce the issue by doing a much better job training their employees and doing their best not to force someone into an EV if unwanted. Also be better about NOT saying it’s just like a gas car. There are some significant differences.

Just having one “EV expert” on site per shift could accompany customers to the vehicles when getting to their EV and going through any questions they may have. This alone could make the experience much less nerve wracking for inexperienced EV drivers. Would be worth the investment for Hertz, IMO. Much of this issue with Hertz is self inflicted.

Last edited:
I can see where EVs could be having a difficult time for Hertz. Even Tesla. There is a learning curve. For people who are given an EV without requesting one, they could be woefully unprepared especially last minute. Non tech savvy / inexperienced people could be completely lost being just handed the key cards, let alone charging the car. Add to that where Hertz employees themselves are often clueless, just adds to the confusion and poor experience.

But Hertz could reduce the issue by doing a much better job training their employees and doing their best not to force someone into an EV if unwanted. Also be better about NOT saying it’s just like a gas car. There are some significant differences.

Just having one “EV expert” on site per shift could accompany customers to the vehicles when getting to their EV and going through any questions they may have. This alone could make the experience much less nerve wracking for inexperienced EV drivers. Would be worth the investment for Hertz, IMO. Much of this issue with Hertz is self inflicted.

To be fair, I'm sure the staff in the parking lot could have easily helped me with things like how to adjust the seats and mirrors, and even some basic screen stuff. I didn't need it, so didn't really ask for it.

One thing that would help a lot is a handout of local DC fast charging locations, and how to use them. Maybe also include hotel and other L2 charging locations. Also remember that with the Teslas, you need to find the adapter for those which have J-1772 plugs. I used the Superchargers for my Hertz rentals, so just used the on-screen nav.

On this last point, when my daughter rented the Kona, the rental company said it would be $40 extra if the car was returned with less than 70% charge!

Last edited:
According to Reuters, Tesla said this themselves. To whom, I have no idea. And I know Reuters doesn't count as a decent source anyway. https://www.reuters.com/business/au...two-weeks-over-red-sea-supply-gap-2024-01-11/
Yeah Reuters doesn't count. Unless I see it from Tesla, I won't believe it. Reuters have stated that Tesla said it - so they're on shaky ground if they've told porkies. Reporter is based in Germany I think, so legal repercussions are possible if untrue.

On a related note, Reuters forgot to take down their April fool joke

1705008373065.png

So they were supposed to keep them longer and have them depreciate more?
By “depreciating more”, are you referring to it occurring at a higher rate than normal per the assumption that the price Tesla price reduction would continue…or at a normal rate that all of Hertz’s assets, ICE vehicles included, would? If it’s the former, what evidence exists to validate that assumption? If the latter, why a particular focus on Tesla vehicles and the calling of attention to typical selling practice to that of Tesla vehicles?

In short, it’s financial engineering that easily fits a narrative that would please average share holders. It does seem fishy as to motivations. Tesla’s direct engagement with Uber may have something to do with it.

In fact, it was Costco that should have taken note of Tesla's actions regarding unions. Treat your staff right so there's no need for them to unionize. Costco dropped the ball and realized it too late. Just like Peter Tosh, Tesla is keeping the ball in the air in rhythm to the music!

• Does Costco have an important mission?
  • Do employees at Costco do interesting and challenging work?
  • Are smart hardworking people attracted to working at Costco?
  • Does CostCo have a flat organisation structure?
  • Is company equity part of the salary package at Costco?
Costco might be able to tick some of these boxes, but in some areas Tesla has a natural edge that is hard to replicate.

Hard working intelligent people rarely need a union, because usually the company knows how valuable they are, and retention is a priority.

I have no doubt some people will attempt to infiltrate Tesla with the intention to unionize. That will be for political, ideological, and self-interest reasons, nothing to do with how Tesla staff are treated.

This a risk recruitment and HR need to consider.

Optimus doing low-skill repetitive and boring work should mean all Tesla employees are eventually doing well paid interesting work and raising the bar on the qualifications and skills needed to join Tesla will help screen out future union infiltrators.

We are also at the stage where factory line employees from other car companies don't necessarily have any vital skills that Tesla needs to acquire. Higher skilled workers from existing car companies should have similar motivations to existing employees.

Berlin shutdown is a reminder that Tesla need to local-source as much of their components as they can. At least its happening to Berlin, not shanghai, fremont or Texas. In Q4 Berlin production was ~10% of Tesla's global total. A 2 week shutdown would be 0.38% of total yearly production. So insignificant really.

Also a reminder perhaps that we could do with model 3 and semi production in Europe too. The less Tesla has to ship stuff around the world the better, not just because its cheaper, but also less prone to interruption, and way better for the environment,
I expect to see ALL the European EV manufacturers use this as an excellent excuse to also have downtime, and lower production.

Plus... if there were a problem in the Red Sea, wouldn't crude be spiking a bit harder? It's all in the same noise range in fact.
Ya I also call BS on the shutdown as well. I thought it was odd it as dated in the future. It's not like Tesla to even announce those details.

View attachment 1008063

Spot Container Shipping Rates Soar 173% on Red Sea Threats​

• Suez traffic is down 28% in past 10 days, IMF PortWatch says
  • Risk of congestion rises heading into Chinese Lunar New Year

From a few days ago ...