Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was mentioned.... Hertz is getting pounded today. They reported lower EV resale values and higher than expected EV repair costs. Recall most of their EVs are Teslas (35k of 50k total or 70%).

I should add this quote:

"about double what the company pays to fix damaged gasoline cars," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr.

Outside of Tesla, how many component manufacturers (that aren't only Tesla suppliers) and certified technicians are there in the US/world that could create competition against Tesla to drive service cost lower and create an ecosystem for EVs?

I actually think this political chart would be the same if we replaced the X axis with income. Tell me I'm wrong.

That would fit my circumstance perfectly. I desperately want to own an EV. I am making every attempt to live on Social Security and avoid drawing upon my TSLA chairs in order to maximize growth for the longer term.

It is a conundrum I struggle with and which vexes me because it seems hypocritical for me to sing the praises of EVs to every ear I can bend, yet, not actually be able to own one as long as TSLA sits idle in the Doldrums waiting for the sails to be filled.

Fortunately, I have an abundance of patience and a fairly high pain threshold.

HODL

Last edited:

ADDING!!! For all those people so pro-advertising you should be incensed. By rebranding the standard AND then rebranding the units, an incalculable amount of free advertising has been given away. Like billions of dollars worth.

I LOVED this post except for the ADDING!!! part. Realistically Tesla needed a new name if the Tesla standard could be one. By calling it NACS rather than Tesla adoption has become the path of least resistance. Now there will be BEVs from every major automaker realizing the benefits of Tesla. Tesla also receives payment for all those electrons at ~20% gross margin with constant exposure to 'the real BEV'. They've given away nothing, just assured profits from supplying BP and many others.

This counts as a solid victory in my eyes.

I actually think this political chart would be the same if we replaced the X axis with income. Tell me I'm wrong.
According to the article and the quote from it that both @Cherry Wine and @aubreymcfato provided, you would be wrong.

"The partisan rift goes well beyond preferences linked to income, urban density or the current rate of truck ownership."

The graph may look similar to some degree, of course, but the correlation between sales and each of these other factors would be significantly less than between sales and partisan view, according to that particular article.

Reality is that for most purchasers of vehicles (and many other things), emotion is typically a greater purchasing factor than logical reasoning. Perhaps it should not be that way, but, well, humans...

There's a photo or mockup from bp's press release:

View attachment 985423

bp boosts EV charging network with $100 million order of Tesla ultra-fast chargers

The Tesla ultra-fast chargers, which have an output of 250 kW, will be branded, installed and operated by bp pulse. The chargers will be fitted with Tesla’s ‘Magic Dock’, which is compatible with both North American Charging Standard (NACS) and Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors. This enables EVs from other major vehicle manufacturers to use the Tesla chargers on the bp pulse’s network, regardless of whether they use CCS or NACS ports. To further improve user experience, the Tesla chargers will support use of the Plug and Charge protocol, which simplifies and automates payments. As is Tesla's current policy, third-party operated ultra-fast chargers meeting Tesla's reliability and functionality requirements are featured in Tesla's vehicle UI and apps, and bp pulse expects to uphold those requirements on its network.​
This is great news. I wonder how easy it would be for Tesla owners to use these?

Not sure if this was mentioned.... Hertz is getting pounded today. They reported lower EV resale values and higher than expected EV repair costs. Recall most of their EVs are Teslas (35k of 50k total or 70%).

I should add this quote:

"about double what the company pays to fix damaged gasoline cars," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr.
My Hertz Model Y rental in Fla received no love. I mentioned this a month ago here, and people just said... "it's a rental car, they all have low air" along with small scratches and dents. I felt like I was driving a beater. Dirty too, but this is only a couple of data points here.

Imagine trying to sell that rental car with all the dents and scratches on it (saw another rental Model 3 at a Tampa charger, same issue). Repairs will shock many. Again, my tailgate replacement was over $10K and when I was side swiped, it was a total loss.

Those little scratches etc - who would want one without serious discounts? They really needed to be taking these more seriously at the staff level. If the body is dinged, they just let it go; there was no review process. It's business is catering to a disposable vehicle, so I'm not surprised Hertz was caught off guard. It all looked so good on paper I'm guessing, until now.

Then again, they were depreciated with the Tesla price drops, this may have a more pronounced impact to Hertz. Imagine how they feel... consequences there.

Reality is that for most purchasers of vehicles (and many other things), emotion is typically a greater purchasing factor than logical reasoning. Perhaps it should not be that way, but, well, humans...

Which is why S-curves for disruptive technology exist.

Once the tide turns and an abundance of buyers become emotionally motivated as those around them change direction, the curve increases in steepness at an exponential rate.

Wait for it...

Last edited:
Why not just buy a 4 yr old Model 3? Shirley there's one out there with your name.

I'm a hatchback/SUV person and despise the lack of utility a sedan offers.

That, plus, I haven't taken a loan in several decades and have no inkling what affect this will have on the financing.

... and don't call me Shirley. 🤨 😉

This new data supports this theory:

View attachment 985436

“EV ownership is deeply tied to voting behavior in the U.S., according to a report by BloombegNEF.

For every 10 percentage-point increase in Joe Biden’s share of votes in the 2020 election, the concentration of EVs was roughly 50 percent higher. The partisan rift goes well beyond preferences linked to income, urban density or the current rate of truck ownership.“
If true, then it will be Tesla Semis for the win; most businesses are driven by economics; corporate management doing otherwise fail in their obligations to shareholders.

That would fit my circumstance perfectly. I desperately want to own an EV. I am making every attempt to live on Social Security and avoid drawing upon my TSLA chairs in order to maximize growth for the longer term.

It is a conundrum I struggle with and which vexes me because it seems hypocritical for me to sing the praises of EVs to every ear I can bend, yet, not actually be able to own one as long as TSLA sits idle in the Doldrums waiting for the sails to be filled.

Fortunately, I have an abundance of patience and a fairly high pain threshold.

HODL
Buy your Model 3/Y and use it to drive Uber to cover the payments until TSLA goes parabolic again.

Hertz is still pro EV. They are shifting the EVs to ride share drivers.

View attachment 985451
Sounds like they’ll be amping up the pressure to bring down repair costs.

The numbers coming from Hertz are interesting as well. At the start of the year, Hertz said they ended 2022 with just over 48,000 Teslas and now they’re down to 35,000? Maybe these numbers are being juggled between Hertz and Uber or whichever

Buy your Model 3/Y and use it to drive Uber to cover the payments until TSLA goes parabolic again.

I'm about a hour from the nearest metro area, am easily annoyed by urban traffic, and by many people.

Though it might bear looking into further to see what sort of demand there is for the service in a rural area. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I personally do, as in my experience Tom Randall is probably the best "old media" journalist out there regarding EVs.
He's no particular fan of Elon but always has given due credit to Tesla for the EV revolution.

The whole article is here:

while the X thread is here:
So let’s say it’s factual for argument’s sake. I’m not convinced but whatever.

What’s the purpose of pointing it out other than to continue to divide people?

Yeah, it’s a big deal that the fact it’s coming from Tesla and will be known by nobody outside this tiny TMC thread world.

Just you watch what happens. Praise for other charging networks while either ignoring Tesla’s, Tesla, and the fact it’s Tesla’s invention, hardware, software and standard etc.

And no, I don’t think ‘monopoly’ was or should be a ‘worry’. I’m really, really, really annoyed that the people and company that worked their butts off, that had to take all the ridicule and doubt, are now being effectively ignored and vanished. This is exactly how history gets lost and rewritten.

Absolutely hate (and I rarely use that strong, dirty word) what’s happening.

ADDING!!! For all those people so pro-advertising you should be incensed. By rebranding the standard AND then rebranding the units, an incalculable amount of free advertising has been given away. Like billions of dollars worth.

The first person who comes onto TMC and posts BP (or whomever) has a charging network as good as Tesla’s; I’m going to invite them to The Mountain and then push them off the side.
You are safe. BP are completely useless at managing the Pulse network. They leave many chargers in the UK inoperative for months. They have a 20 charger bank at a Park and Ride in Edinburgh where the other day the whole lot were powered off. Not one available. They are greenwashing and trying to piss EV owners off.

I LOVED this post except for the ADDING!!! part. Realistically Tesla needed a new name if the Tesla standard could be one. By calling it NACS rather than Tesla adoption has become the path of least resistance. Now there will be BEVs from every major automaker realizing the benefits of Tesla. Tesla also receives payment for all those electrons at ~20% gross margin with constant exposure to 'the real BEV'. They've given away nothing, just assured profits from supplying BP and many others.

This counts as a solid victory in my eyes.
Yeah, I understand why the rebranding. I understand it’s a win for mankind. But I disagree that nothing has been given away.