Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article below from the Information (paywalled), that says that Tesla is replacing their local head of operations in South Korea (Austin Kyungho Kim, who is currently on leave from Tesla) with Yvonne Chan, one of Tom Zhu's deputies. Chan was previously the country Director for Korea and Thailand from 2018 to 2020. Could be nothing but still an interesting move the day after Elon met the South Korean President.

Tesla Replaces South Korea Chief as Musk Meets With Head of State

He also said that in Q1 earnings call in January. And what happened after that? They had to cut prices again in March to get demand to meet production which is same as Q4 (440K). Elon may have referenced the data for that week and extrapolated. We just need to look at their actions, not their words which are often overly optimistic. Same with Zack - he guided for an ASP above 47K and a gross margin above 20% and what did we get? An ASP of 46K and a gross margin of 18.3%. Doesn’t mean he was lying - it just means they are not very good at predicting what’s going to happen the rest of the quarter. Instead of just listening to the management, we all can use publicly available data. The backlog is zero. Hopefully the recent Q2 price cuts bring a lot more demand to meet production, which one again will probably be same as Q4 and Q1 at around 440K.
Elon has talked about being able to pull "demand levers" before, I don't doubt they try to tune demand to match production pretty closely.

My point that seems to be being missed is that price reduction is not always evidence of a demand issue. We've seen them cut prices for other reasons. Hence "correlation is not causation" applies here.

Finally I'll note that being able to tune demand when gross margins's are a multiple of what competing vehicles garner is pretty impressive.

If Tesla opted to cut prices to only provide a 2% gross margin, you'd have your backlog. But why do that?

This is a prime example of why wagers should not be allowed on this site. But it happened, and you lost, so you should pay. But either way for goodness sake please stop whining about it.

"No, no Mr Bookie. You don't understand. I didn't think I could actually LOSE when I made the bet."
I told you i wanted $100 on New York, i didn't specify which sport or which team!!

It's not dishonorable, they raised the prices a few weeks after they dropped them. It's a legitimate reason.

I can't make you agree with me. It'll just have to be an agree to disagree situation.
You have got to be kidding me! ”something happened after I made a bet that I wasn’t expecting, and thus the bet is off”??? Dude, that’s the whole freaking point of a bet. You’re trying to predict the future and no matter what happens, even WW III, that’s the result. There’s no force majuere in a bet, maybe in a legal contract, but not in a bet. You have proven yourself to be dishonorable and untrustworthy.

23716E1D-9EBA-4D85-B110-E82EC943EA94.jpeg

Umm...what?

Person A: Elon said "blah blah blah" years ago, and because of that we something something, and it's his fault.

Elon: I say a lot of stuff, I don't recall what you are referring to.

Person A: It was a video I saw on-line.

Elon lawyer: We aren't going to blanket authenticate random online videos in this day and age.

Court: Ok, we're gonna need you to testify regarding authenticity of specific videos and claims.

MSM: OMG! Elon's laywers say he can say whatever he wants with no repercussions because it might be a deepfake.

Also MSM and Person A: We're going to ignore that we've previous stated the deceased driver said NoA repeated failed at that road juncture. And that they were playing a game on their Apple provided phone which allowed operation while driving. And that the barrier was not reset by Caltrans.

Apple Engineer Killed in Tesla Crash Had Previously Complained About Autopilot | KQED

You have got to be kidding me! ”something happened after I made a bet that I wasn’t expecting, and thus the bet is off”??? Dude, that’s the whole freaking point of a bet. You’re trying to predict the future and no matter what happens, even WW III, that’s the result. There’s no force majuere in a bet, maybe in a legal contract, but not in a bet. You have proven yourself to be dishonorable and untrustworthy.

View attachment 932636

Not to mention he explicitly said it was in his best interest that he lost.

He wanted to have his cupcake and eat it too.

It's not dishonorable, they raised the prices a few weeks after they dropped them. It's a legitimate reason.

I can't make you agree with me. It'll just have to be an agree to disagree situation.

lol...the bet and outcome looks pretty clear cut to me. If you aren't going to pay up at least admit you are being dishonorable.

The only "Terms" were that we agreed upon 18% as the cut-off. There were no provisions for additional price changes, etc.

I don't care about the money, I was going to have you send it to a charity that aligned with Tesla's mission. I do care about the honorability of keeping one's agreement.

No I'm not. I PMed him. His posting it on a court of public opinion.
Regardless if you made it privately or in a public forum, are you claiming you didn't make it?
I'm not whining about it. Look at my post history. I didn't once bring this up. But hey im happy never to respond to any posts about this again. There problem solved.
The claiming there was a circumstance that you didn't expect that invalidates it is tantamount to whining.

The "happy to not talk about it again" smacks much more of "I don't want to have to look bad defending an untenable position... can you all please stop holding me accountable?"

The only "Terms" were that we agreed upon 18% as the cut-off. There were no provisions for additional price changes, etc.

I don't care about the money, I was going to have you send it to a charity that aligned with Tesla's mission. I do care about the honorability of keeping one's agreement.
Careful there. It'll end up in the Mr. Moo retirement charity for sure. That said, I hoped y'all wouldn't make me do this, but please let's stop:
beating a dead horse.gif
beating a dead horse.gif
beating a dead horse.gif

-Thank-kew.

Edit- I hope our highly valued MODS will wind this up by:
1- prohibiting further discussions about this bet,
2- Prohibiting further bets across TMC forums.

Last edited:

I don't agree with bkp_duke that much, but it's pretty clear you made a bet with him on unambiguous terms, and lost it. Raising/lowering prices was not a condition of your bet, therefore not a legitimate reason.

Make the bet, loose the bet, pay the bet. That's how it works. In civilized places.