Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far this has not come to fruition. But that's the reasoning: Tesla wants its own robotaxi fleet.
Also, Tesla has benefited enormously from having a thick rank of used vehicles Then gets to pocket that end of lease residual value bonus (at least it’s been a huge boon up until this year). Then they bolt FSD onto a disproportionate number of them and get that bonus revenue too.

If you want to own a Tesla—buy it. Leasing is for businesses who can expense the lease.

Wow.

Up ~70% YTD. Like, in 3 weeks:

1674840697600.png

I noticed a tidbit of information on the earnings call that I haven't heard anyone pick up on. Drew Baglino said:
"Our fleet is starting to mature, the 3, Y fleet. And we're gathering a lot of data out of that fleet to understand how we can sort of bring some margin that we didn't know we had out of the product. So over the course of 2023 on the powertrain side, we're actually going to go after sort of some materials where we're paying for more performance than we need, or we have more content than we need, without impacting reliability at all. And that will actually add up to a pretty significant cost reduction on the powertrain side over the course of 2023. So we're not just sort of relying on supply. We're also doing design actions to bring cost out."

I assume he is alluding to going down in material specs where fleet data indicates over engineering, but also that the the 3/Y non P cars have largely the same drivetrain as the P and are as such unnecessarily costly. If so, it means that they would separate P from non P hardware specifications more. An interesting balance act between saving on material vs increased production complexity and logistics costs.

If 3/YP will be replaced by the speculated carbon wrapped rotor Plaid 3/Y they will be separated anyway. Plaid 3/Y Seems more likely now that Semi is scaling up with the same motors which thus need to become super reliable and cheap.

For me, this was worth a bookmark for when I hear friends, investors, etc question whether or not Tesla can continue to bring cost per vehicle down.
Even their best-in-class powertrain is being tinkered with.

If Tesla had only done a $2k or $3k price cut across the board globally, the stock action would have been down . . .it would be seen as a sign of weakness (trouble with demand).

Price cuts up to $13k is so huge and rare, analysts needed to step back and and think "what is going on here?".
Conclusion: This is a sign of strength, strong margins, strong balance sheet, market share grab. Stock action is up.

What's really sad is that Tesla had to actually do the price cut for analysts to realize this.

Anyone with half a brain could have looked at Q3 financials and seen how much pricing power Tesla had. It's not a good look to the TSLA analyst community that so many professional analysts couldn't (or didn't want to) recognize this until Tesla forced them to. Because lowering the price didn't really change anything with respect to clarity on Tesla's pricing power. Which is why I know they are not paid to analyze; they are paid to bend public perceptions away from reality.

The less attention an investor pays to analysts, and the resulting share price, the better.

Not bad - but as impressive (and enjoyable) as this current move is I'm mindful of the simple fact that NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The business of Tesla is much the same as it was 1, 3, 6 months ago. Macro environment is evolving, but there was no rational reason for the extreme drop in SP. Efficient market theory my a$$. HODL (and congrats to everyone that bought from $200 down).