Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting that it is only $0.99/month. It is £10.99/month ($13.31) in the UK or €12.99/month ($13.22) in Europe. But maybe the discount isn't as significant here in the US, or maybe they will adjust the monthly fee when it really goes live. (I would expect $12.99/month here.)

While I could sign-up for it right now, it doesn't show that there are any Superchargers that I could use, so it wouldn't make since to start paying anything right now. There is no mention of adapters, so they must be going with adding a second cable or the MagicDock that we have heard of.

Other interesting tidbit: You are only allowed to charge at a Supercharger 5 times per day per account in a non-Tesla.

Is this a joke?

.99 cents a month. Tesla owners have a legit gripe now. It cost practically nothing for non Tesla owners to pay the same lower rate as Tesla owners. Kinda of a slap in the face to me 🤷
Well, right now that $0.99/month gets you access to exactly 0 Supercharger sites. Hopefully they raise the price as they add sites to the plan.

Also, we don't know what rate they will pay. Maybe without a subscription they will pay 2x the Tesla price, and with a subscription it will be 1.5x the Tesla price. There aren't enough details yet to say anything.

Electrify America I believe charges $4/mth for lower rates while EVgo charges $7/mth for lower rates.
This 0.99/mth plan is going to put a lot of pressure on EA and EVgo.
I don't know why Tesla would want to undercut with them as the supercharger uptime is like 99.98% or something. It's a premium service which deserves a premium fee.

Electrify America I believe charges $4/mth for lower rates while EVgo charges $7/mth for lower rates.
This 0.99/mth plan is going to put a lot of pressure on EA and EVgo.
Well, the EA $4/month plan is normally cheaper per kWh/minute than the Tesla Supercharger prices in the same area, sometimes significantly. (At least during peak times.) So the only pressure will be on having enough sites/stalls and uptime.

FYI: I just saw a video where they are doing a towing test for the F150 Lightning across a few states, and in a live-stream they mentioned that they had lots of problems with EA sites. Some were reported up and they weren't, others were "degraded" and were only able to supply 32 kW. So they have been avoiding the EA sites and charging elsewhere. I think once that video series goes live that will help put some pressure on EA.

I don't know why Tesla would want to undercut with them as the supercharger uptime is like 99.98% or something. It's a premium service which deserves a premium fee.
Seriously, it’s not like Electrify America has anywhere close to the amount of chargers, super chargers, or the reliability. It’s not even remotely close. Tesla has absolutely no need go undercut the competition

The same reason why any big company sells anything really cheap. You think Costco sells that cheap food because it likes the consumer?
1. Get customers in the door so they may get something else.
2. Crush all competition then raise the price back up once every other company is bankrupt.

If this $0.99 rate is legit then it seems pretty clear Tesla is wanting to own this whole market.

But… this tells us nothing. Is this at all Tesla chargers? Or at some specific locations? Do people have to buy a Tesla adaptor?

It’s possible the rate is so low because you don’t get access to the whole network. Until we get details its a bit of a mystery how valuable this is.

But… this tells us nothing. Is this at all Tesla chargers? Or at some specific locations?
The information says just some sites. (Which is how it works in the UK/Europe right now.) In fact, right now it is ZERO sites. So that $0.99/month is a really bad deal. ;)

They likely won't open up overloaded/very busy sites to non-Teslas.

The same reason why any big company sells anything really cheap. You think Costco sells that cheap food because it likes the consumer?
1. Get customers in the door so they may get something else.
2. Crush all competition then raise the price back up once every other company is bankrupt.
Yeah but you are rolling out this service at the expense of current customers. You want the price to be high enough to de-incentivize current owners to jump ship, while keeping other cars from entering the network too much as to not disturb current owners. Remember this is just lip service, check off that mark that Tesla is "doing the right thing".

If Tesla is having a utilization issue because there are too many changing stations that's one thing, but currently they are having trouble keeping up due to the massive amount of cars they are dumping onto the road.

Over time, the 0.99 membership can open access to 250kw and below chargers. And maybe upcharge $2.99 for 350kw and above. Maybe tesla owners can use next gen chargers. But it does seem they want to just own the whole market. I am sure you would have to download the tesla app. With that, you can advertise, obtain and track data, then possibly convert to a Tesla owner.

If this $0.99 rate is legit then it seems pretty clear Tesla is wanting to own this whole market.

But… this tells us nothing. Is this at all Tesla chargers? Or at some specific locations? Do people have to buy a Tesla adaptor?

It’s possible the rate is so low because you don’t get access to the whole network. Until we get details its a bit of a mystery how valuable this is.
Isn't that just the membership price? An actual .99 cent rate is crazy high per kw. Anyways, $1 per non Tesla driver over the whole number of non-Tesla EV drivers is a lot.

Cory making some bold prediction for tomorrow. He thinks the market will gap up over resistance and cause capitulation by the bears. He also expect a pretty sizable pull back after the squeeze as institutional bears start shorting after all retail bears are squeezed out.
I feel like I laid this case out for you a month and a half ago. As a TMCer my opinion should rank above some silly YouTuber!

Crumbling oil trade on structural oversupply leads to peak inflation and a dovish Fed. All Powell(and the hedgies) have been looking at is the price gouging in oil and weather or not that nonsense trade could be disrupted.

And hedgies/MM's had pushed TSLA too low for the options market to function properly. The only thing making that 85-100 PE range possible was the abject terror of a marketplace worried about the Fed.

Without the oil trade, the curtain is pulled back on all of it and TSLA needs to find entirely new territory so MM's can get back to business as usual.....screwing over options traders.