Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I'll drop it after this. I understand that most people don't care. I care because we're about to go through this again and I'd like to know what to expect.
Most of us were not trying to sell our shares during the last split, very few actually, but that's not the point. The point is, if we wanted to, some of us couldn't. because the shares were not there. This actually happened to some people who did want to sell and they posted it right here.
Really, the point is that something couldn't happen but nobody actually tried? Seriously? Actually, I'm sure that anybody who tried was able to do what they tried to do. I was watching carefully at the time and saw lots of complaints about what people perceived to be the case, but nothing about actual failures. At least not in the US.

Failures overseas with shares held in unusual ways certainly happened. But they were all warned about in advance. The terms and conditions on the accounts covered those situations. Not that that made it reasonable, but it moved the needle from criminal to unfortunate.
But I'm not going to spend even a minute of my time going back to find it because you are free to believe whatever you want. Being right, at least in your eyes, is simply not that important to me. And the real point of this has already been pointed out to you earlier. That we are all robbed when shares are floated that don't exist. The fact that they always eventually make good on those shares does not mean they are not manipulating the normal functioning of the markets. And this robs all market participants, even those of us who were not trying to sell our shares before they appeared in our accounts.
If what you are saying is that we are all robbed by naked shorts, I agree with you. But that has nothing to do with the false assertion that people were robbed by their brokers preventing them from doing legitimate trades.
I'm getting bored now with your posts on this subject which happened a long time ago, and so far I haven't bitten, but in the hope that it will end the pointless argument, here is what happened with me:

My broker was very late in allocating my shares and the delay prevented me doing something which I wanted to do. I was extremely annoyed with them, in fact frantic, and made a complaint. One of their managers telephoned me and was on the phone for about 20 minutes. Extremely apologetic, lame excuses, "you're a valued client" etc etc.

Following the call I received this email:

Dear Mr.
Thank you for your time on the phone earlier, it was nice to speak to you.
It was good that, following the recent stock split, we were able to update all our customers Tesla holdings earlier this afternoon, once the new shares had been received by us.
I would like to reiterate our apologies for any inconvenience that the delay may have caused you and, as a gesture of goodwill and also in recognition of your loyalty to our service, I am happy to arrange a payment of £200 to your dealing account. This will take approx. 3-5 days to process, I will let you know once it has been credited.
Finally, please do let me know if you encounter any future issues which cannot be resolved via normal channels and I will look to assist in any way that I can.

OK I know your next question - what was the amount of your loss? Here's my answer: I'm not telling you.

Can we just leave it there please.
No problem. Said several times that some folks overseas were affected. But I bet if you look at the terms and conditions of your brokerage agreement, you'll find they were completely within their rights. They paid you to keep you happy, not because they had cheated you and owed you anything. And, no, my next question would be whether you know what the terms and conditions are on your account so that you can prepare properly and aren't surprised the next time this happens.
Yeah, in the event it wasn't just Equiniti that was deliquent in delivering the dividend shares in Sep 2020. @Chocochip had the same issues with Hargreaves Lansdown (read #197,563 ) and @SebastianR had those issues with Consors, a German broker (read #197,472 ). I recall about a dozen TMC members that reported receiving their shares late.

REMEMBER, by Friday morning, TSLA had gone down over 30%. Those brokers bought legitimate shares on the cheap, and retroactively gave them to their rightful owners. Now, if you don't have the RIGHT to sell, how are you the RIGHTFUL owner?

P.S. You aren't, the Broker owns you. Lawsuit!
Yup, all overseas people. The issues were unfortunate, but expected and common and covered by their agreements.
There were in fact people who could not sell shares and/or exercise/close/sell their options and they were just as angry as you, but not nearly so - belligerent.

None of us here today are those people, but we have already told you it did happen. Feel free to use the search engine and go digging. It’s not our job to find that information for you and upset your fantasy.
No people in the US who owned their shares in ordinary ways. At least not that I've seen or heard of. Lots of people complaining that their accounts didn't seem to have what they should have had in them, but not who actually tried to sell and were denied, which is all that matters. If you didn't try to sell, then you were unaffected, and certainly not cheated. If you tried to sell and were refused, then you might have a case.

No people in the US who owned their shares in ordinary ways. At least not that I've seen or heard of. Lots of people complaining that their accounts didn't seem to have what they should have had in them, but not who actually tried to sell and were denied, which is all that matters. If you didn't try to sell, then you were unaffected, and certainly not cheated.

Lets see if you can figure out why no one here was "affected". Read your post above three times, then turn off all your devices and go meditate on it for at least 16 hours.

I couldn't resist and bought 5 shortly before close...but than changed my mind.. we have a call-wall at 950.. so i rolled it down to 940 :D
I have an order in to sell at slightly less than 2x on what I suspect will be an early pop followed by pushdown to a $949 close. Had hoped to get in cheaper, but ended up at $4.68.....looking for $9 in the morning. Unless of course my eyeballs pop out of my face in the next hour.

Agreed. Price of gas in the US is still dropping. From GasBuddy:

View attachment 836661

1659649599462.png

Thanks for the source. Going back just a little further it's interesting to see that gas prices were going up steadily ever since November of 2020. I wonder what would have occurred to cause that? I don't recall Putin invading anyone then.

View attachment 836770
Thanks for the source. Going back just a little further it's interesting to see that gas prices were going up steadily ever since November of 2020. I wonder what would have occurred to cause that? I don't recall Putin invading anyone then.
2020 is kind of a misleading year. Covid shutdown across the world killed demand. If you go back to 18 and 19 you see 2020 was an abnormally low year that hadn't been seen since 2016.

chart2.svg