Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon pisses people off and tweets like this don't help. He disrupts with his ideas and belittles people's careers / ideas when he sees a more efficient way of getting things done. We're on the same team, but Elon is full of himself, which is a double edged sword of sort.
Lets face it, Elon usually IS the smartest man in the room. When he's with people trying to puff up their own importance on careers he sees as...unimportant or promoting ideas that are patently silly upon examination...I think he has difficulty showing faux respect or interest to spare their feelings. When those people are in positions of political power, and have the ability to impact his life and businesses, I see more than a little frustration there. There is an old term about "not suffering fools easily".

Flip side, when I watch an interview between him and Sandy Munro or bringing someone through Starbase that is genuinely intelligent and interested, he's been very polite, welcoming and patient. I don't think he has a lot of patience with politicians or reporters trying to play "gothca" with him.

Elon pisses people off and tweets like this don't help. He disrupts with his ideas and belittles people's careers / ideas when he sees a more efficient way of getting things done. We're on the same team, but Elon is full of himself, which is a double edged sword of sort.
Elon driving the bot means he thinks it is the area with the biggest problems, or the most interesting problems.

IMO that could indicate he is not overly concerned about:-
  • FSD
  • 4680 cell production
  • Insurance
  • Model Y production in Austin and Berlin
Elon's is probably also doing plenty of work on:-
  • Cybertruck
  • Various SpaceX projects.

So if the bot is jumping the priority queue ahead of some of the projects above, those projects are in good shape and/or the bot is important.

Elon has praised the FSD team and others at Tesla on many occasions, when the time is right, the bot team will get praise.
For now, the bot team are probably very happy just to be working on such an interesting, and possibly world changing project.

Flip side, when I watch an interview between him and Sandy Munro or bringing someone through Starbase that is genuinely intelligent and interested, he's been very polite, welcoming and patient. I don't think he has a lot of patience with politicians or reporters trying to play "gothca" with him.
I don't know. I was pretty amazed he got through a long interview with that utter moron, Joe Rogan, without screaming. He just kept dumbing down his explanations more and more. And then more.

I don't know. I was pretty amazed he got through a long interview with that utter moron, Joe Rogan, without screaming. He just kept dumbing down his explanations more and more. And then more.
If this is seriously your take on Elon's Rogan interviews then I really don't know what to tell you. Rogan is an open book, he knows he's not a smart man but unlike the vast majority of humans on this Earth he understands that the way to become smarter is to listen and learn. Elon genuinely likes Rogan and always is willing to take the time to explain things to people who are willing to listen. He's always been that way since day 1.

Just a few days ago several friends from the Middle East and I were having just that discussion. All of us are Tesla fans, including those who are in countries Tesla does not currently serve. The risks are real. Not just for Tesla but for traditional participatory government as well. The risk to Tesla stems form the very tight political; connection to the fossil fuel industry. I feel a bit like a conspiracy theorist on all this, so have avoided these subjects until now. Seeing the deep seated manipulation of TSLA has caused me to revise my views.
I also came to a very cynical view of the fossil fuel, er, folks (fff’s), the auto industry, and governments during my time in auto R&D.

For a long time, close linkages between Western governments and the fff’s offered benefits though at costs of course. That time is past. Just as automakers must transition, participatory governments must as well.

I have a view of the world that is rife with ‘conspiracies’ (our definitions of the term may differ). They just vary in the quality of the conspirators.

Elon has created a breach in the dam. There is tremendous pressure behind the dam. There are many people who want to break through the dam erected by the fff’s. The fff’s have few friends beyond those they buy and that is expensive.

I’d suggest it behooves those who have gained from Tesla’s gains to pitch in when they can, where they can. Not necessarily this instant for all as more gains will come to longs and more challenges to the fff’s. Just something to pencil in for future action.

edit: Am I conspiring? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The more quickly the threatened industries collapse, the less that exist to coordinate and conspire to save. People in desperate situations do desperate things. It makes little sense to hope the failure of the displaced industries is a long-drawn out affair, at least not any more than necessary.
You might be right, but I’m really not sure.

Actually, I’m not sure I disagree with you at all, even though it seems like you disagree with me.

Chalking it up to limitations of this medium of communication and moving on.

Time (may) reveal the truth!

• Funny
Reactions: Boomer19
Elon driving the bot means he thinks it is the area with the biggest problems, or the most interesting problems.

IMO that could indicate he is not overly concerned about:-
  • FSD
  • 4680 cell production
  • Insurance
  • Model Y production in Austin and Berlin
Elon's is probably also doing plenty of work on:-
  • Cybertruck
  • Various SpaceX projects.

So if the bot is jumping the priority queue ahead of some of the projects above, those projects are in good shape and/or the bot is important.

Elon has praised the FSD team and others at Tesla on many occasions, when the time is right, the bot team will get praise.
For now, the bot team are probably very happy just to be working on such an interesting, and possibly world changing project.
Musk has put a real emphasis on manufacturing in his tenure at Tesla. As he so famously has said, prototypes are easy, volume manufacturing is hard. He emphasizes DFM (design for manufacturing) and streamlining production processes. From what I have seen he has a lot of robots and automatic guided vehicles in his plants, more than I have seen in GM plants (granted it's been a LONG time since I worked for GM or have been through an assy plant). I have nothing to base this on-but I really wondering if his excitement and emphasis on robotic isn't drawn from the manufacturing world. Reliability, uptime and repeatability vs a human operator (remember those complaints of missing bolts in Tesla suspension). People in hard or dangerous jobs, ones prone to injury. And simply the availability of labor. I really wonder (and I have nothing to base this on) if there isn't a big, behind the scenes effort on manufacturing robots, not necessarily "humanoid". Assy robots in one form or another have been around for decades, but I see a potential for more human-sized, mobile robots (again though, not necessarily humanoid) to be able to traverse along an assembly line and do a variety of assembly and manufacturing functions, without necessarily being attached to the floor in a fixed location. Instead of humanoid hands, switchable end effectors tailored for specific tasks. Pure speculation and nothing to base it on. And to be honest, robots of this type may be out now-my time in high volume manufacturing was a long time ago-robots in those days were all fixed in place.

The question I am asking to myself: Was the $1200 stock price pricing in the potential start of production of mass market $25,000 EV to destroy completely any new sale of ICE Corollas, Malibus, Golf, etc. Or is the -10% drop the following day just a reaction of wallstreet relative “deceit” of not having a instantly gratifying “roadmap update” from Musk announcing factories to be operational immediately and faster production like happened to the Model Y?
the market likes to have it both ways

Musk has put a real emphasis on manufacturing in his tenure at Tesla. As he so famously has said, prototypes are easy, volume manufacturing is hard. He emphasizes DFM (design for manufacturing) and streamlining production processes. From what I have seen he has a lot of robots and automatic guided vehicles in his plants, more than I have seen in GM plants (granted it's been a LONG time since I worked for GM or have been through an assy plant). I have nothing to base this on-but I really wondering if his excitement and emphasis on robotic isn't drawn from the manufacturing world. Reliability, uptime and repeatability vs a human operator (remember those complaints of missing bolts in Tesla suspension). People in hard or dangerous jobs, ones prone to injury. And simply the availability of labor. I really wonder (and I have nothing to base this on) if there isn't a big, behind the scenes effort on manufacturing robots, not necessarily "humanoid". Assy robots in one form or another have been around for decades, but I see a potential for more human-sized, mobile robots (again though, not necessarily humanoid) to be able to traverse along an assembly line and do a variety of assembly and manufacturing functions, without necessarily being attached to the floor in a fixed location. Instead of humanoid hands, switchable end effectors tailored for specific tasks. Pure speculation and nothing to base it on. And to be honest, robots of this type may be out now-my time in high volume manufacturing was a long time ago-robots in those days were all fixed in place.
Elon actually mentioned that there will likely be several different form factors for the bots. Maybe as different types of bots are revealed and produced the wall st types can better come up with some guesstimates to plug into their formulas.

even if what you say is true, i don’t see how that tweet is an example of ego, belittling someone’s career, or full of himself. i do know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way…but i think a large part of that is “if you repeat it enough, it must be true” type,
never-ending, smear campaign by, what is an increasingly less mainstream, petulantly jealous media. not everyone has to love him all the time. but we all need him, whether we all know it or not. and the more they hate him the more we need him…but hey, fate loves irony.

Last edited:
the one from earlier in 2021? i was amazed that, in the first portion of the pod, that rogan said he hadn’t seen spacex land a rocket on drone or land…

like…WHAT rock have you been hiding under JR…
in the words of chris berman and/or tom jackson…cmon man!

Elon actually mentioned that there will likely be several different form factors for the bots. Maybe as different types of bots are revealed and produced the wall st types can better come up with some guesstimates to plug into their formulas.
maybe the bots will be better at wall st than wall st and that’s what all this fuss is about the last couple trading days. 🤯

Today I was out building trails and the chainsaw was getting heavier and heavier every time I picked it up. I couldn’t help but think how awesome it would be if I could put my pack on a robot that would follow me along the trail. I could hand it the chainsaw and it would carry it and hand it to me when I needed it.

Someone mentioned that the TeslaBot/ Optimus could come in different body styles. I’d like mine to be a walking tool belt. Covered in little pockets and holders where I could slot in tools. Also… no fabric cover. It needs to be rubberized so I can hose it off.

I don’t think Optimus needs to do particularly complex jobs to be hugely successful. Just being a person and being able to do basic follow me tasks would be hugely useful. It would also grow in usefulness over time as the Optimus Hive Mind learns new tasks and learns to identify and handle more objects.

Last edited:
even if what you say is true, i don’t see how that tweet is an example of ego, belittling someone’s career, or full of himself. i do know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way…but i think a large part of that is “if you repeat it enough, it must be true” type,
never-ending, smear campaign by, what is an increasingly less mainstream, petulantly jealous media. not everyone has to love him all the time. but we all need him, whether we all know it or not. and the more they hate him the more we need him…but hey, fate loves irony.
That alone certainly justify a certain amount of petulance and impatience with some media types. The other thing to keep in mind is that, according to Elon himself, he as Aspergers. Many of the personality traits attributed to him are classic examples-but IMO any on a very mild scale.

Frankly, I find his tweets hilarious. Most of those he skewers are particularly arrogant and petulant, seeing them brought down a bit does bring some satisfaction. Wealthiest man in the world, but that makes him more relatable and a hero of many of the "common man".

I don't want a potentially hostile cyborg walking behind me carrying a chainsaw but you do you I guess.
Neuralink has a ways to go before that's a possibility. The sensible thing would be to have the robot operate the chainsaw too. Maybe an electric quick attach chainsaw in place of a hand. I'm having a hard time getting excited about the robots, honestly. Seems like autos and energy should be the focus.

Google and Apple Stocks show P/E as < 175 now. That seems really low for a company growing as quickly as Tesla.
And just one year ago it was over 1300. 7X difference. Lots of people here with a heck of a lot more knowledge than me, but with that kind of drop I have trouble seeing this as overpriced. If we continue at the same rate (which admittedly is unlikely) that would put us at a PE of 25 at this time next year.