Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just adding a thought: I think the next two should be in Europe and China.

Elon responded to the Institutional Investor question about how quickly they could potentially "cut and paste" factories with a comment that "there is no cut and paste" because for every new geography, you need a new supply chain.

To the extent that they can cut and paste a supply chain, Europe 2 and China 2 (or Asia 2) are the best choices for now.
I cannot help but disagree with your conclusions. There are two countries withwell established complete automotive supply chains that also are among the top ten automotive markets in the world. They are India and Brazil.

India has a gigantic domestic market and strong desire, but both logistic and regulatory challenges. A China-designed small vehicle could be tipping point.

Brazil has the 7th largest domestic vehicle market plus Mercosur. It also has large tier one and smaller suppliers, plus a domestic partner of CATL producing li-ion cell to pack already, albeit small volumes for VW trucks. Raw materials and extractive technology is among the world's best developed.

There are several eastern and southern European logical choices too, from Spain to Slovakia, with excellent supply chain and relatively accessible skilled workforce.

There really is not such a thing as cut-and-paste unless one uses CKD, which is really a tax and import duty avoidance technique.

Depending on other factors. someplace surprising such as South Korea orJapan could happen, although they are probably less likely.

Sometime still this year we'll probably hear about the next sites. My personal guess is that such disclosures will only happen once both Austin and Brandenburg are up and operating smoothly. I also think the next ones will be dependent in large part on established supply chain, especially for heavy manufacturing (e.g. very large presses) and related technologies. Aerospace manufacturing will be a large factor in recruiting for engineers, as it has been. That argues for locations near production facilities for entities like Airbus, Embraer, any other the aircraft engine manufacturers. Major technology industry supplier factories will be advantageous also.

As we think about locations those factor become the major technical requirements.
Shanghai, Austin and Brandenburg remind us that quality-of-life for workers and executives has become a central issue for engineer and other recruitment. Sparks has clearly shown that Tesla now must very carefully weight the recruitment issues. After all recruitment dominates much of their discussion these days.

IMO this morning’s screenshot is a pretty good example of how differently the same Tesla story can be written in a headline depending on the source. (I posted the screenshot instead of the link to avoid unintentional clicks for Insider and their Max FUD efforts). The Insider’s efforts are shameless, and perhaps more reflective of someone fearing a TSLA stock price run up, particularly given the first two headlines identify that all is under control and suggest the mission will continue soon.

1627909895344.png

If there were no Model Y, then all the sales would be Model 3 + ICE. The existence of the Model Y means that some portion of Model 3 sales would go to Model Y. However, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of either Model 3 or Model Y buyers. I suggest that the vast majority of Model 3 and Model Y sales cannibalize ICE sales rather than each other's. When the Model 2 comes out, we'll have this same silly discussion with Model 2 vs. Models 3/Y.
My basic argument as well. Still comparison of Q by Q numbers of Model 3 before and after Model Y. Now to truly have a cannibalization effect, like they imply the Model 3 sales would need to drop considerably once the Model Y launched and not for just for a short period of time. Oh they also like to say well Tesla had to cut Model 3 prices to keep its sales good.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
To the posters that wrote they expect a "free upgrade" to HW4, do you expect a "free upgrade" to your A# chip every time Apple releases a new one? I didn't think so

This analogy makes no sense.

Apple does not sell a software package with features they have not yet delivered, that the hardware they sold it on is not capable of delivering.

Tesla supported two 100% different streams and software stacks when they dumped Mobileye and went in-house to control this mission-critical tech.

No, they did not.

Mobileye, not Tesla, owned and maintained and improved most of the AP1 code.

Mobileeye never gave Tesla access to most of it- which is why after the breakup AP1 saw no new features going forward and only minor tweaks to the few areas Tesla had any control over, and even then not for terribly long.

Tesla didn't continue to do major SW development on AP1 because they never were doing it in the first place.

Tesla was still doing updates on the media computer side, but then all cars had the same media computer at the time so still just 1 stream.

They already have two entirely different neural network software streams.

Again, no they do not. Not sure where you're getting that idea.

Otherwise, what are they doing with the data coming from the LIDAR sensors?
They either have them connected to a second HW3 or HW4 board in the test mule running a modified NN (Neural Network).

Again- you are just making things up.

They LIDAR is just reporting ranging distance to things.

That's the primary use of LIDAR in cars.

Then they compare those distances to what vision thinks the distance to the objects are.

They don't need to USE the LIDAR data for anything else, and certainly don't need to write NNs to do anything with the data.

Why would they? Software to interpret LIDAR point cloud readings is off the shelf stuff and has been for years.

More likely, HW4 supports additional inputs and has the processing power so the LIDAR is connected to the same HW4 board as the optical sensors are.

That's not likely at all since both the CEO and the head of Tesla AI development have said as recently as 1-2 months ago they're all-on on vision ONLY.

Human eye corneas do not have rain driving at them at 60+ mph like the glass that covers the video input sensors.

... what?

The glass on the front cameras is... the windshield.

Which absolutely covers your eyes as far as seeing the road.

In both cases windshield wipers help out.

We have fast windshield wipers to give us a slower frame rate than normal. Our brain fills-in the missing frames and decides what to do downstream a different part of our brains.

Again... what?

All 3 forward cameras, for example, are behind the same windshield and wipers as your eyes are.

Everyone is speculating at this point.

I mean, mainly you. And fairly wildly.

"Vision-only" just means no input from the frontal radar collision-avoidance sensor

No, it does not.

The front radar was not a "collision avoidance sensor" it provided ranging distance to everything in front including for use in path planning and speed control. Now vision is doing that.

Serious question have you actually done any research into:

What Tesla has actually said about this stuff? (including hour+ long presentations from Andrew Karpathy on their entire design philosophy contradicting your speculation)

What Tesla is actually running today on the driving computers? (greentheonly on Tesla has a lot on this for example).

Because it does not read like you have.

Agree. LIDAR will not be used in "production" consumer vehicles where the liability for FSD is on the driver and not Tesla.

Except consumer vehicles will be part of the Tesla network-- the terms of FSD have explicated even cited this- for years.

As already pointed out to you.

And if what you claim were true, what is HW4 going into consumer vehicles for on Aug 19 as you claim?

For Tesla Network, obviously, the liability has to be on Tesla. If adding LIDAR gives those vehicles a safety advantage (compare vision with LIDAR downstream for a lower error rate), then I believe Tesla will use it.

Your belief is not Teslas belief.

Teslas belief, as stated explicitly, repeatedly, and recently, is that they can achieve all the safety required with vision only on the current sensor package. (ie without even radar)

We can be fanboys, but we don't have to drink the Kool-Aid and believe every word that comes out of Elon's mouth

It doesn't sound like you believe any of em.

Nor the head of the guy actually doing the AI work who also says vision only is the path forward, and has given long presentations including why LIDAR adds no value if you get vision right.

This is irrelevant to LIDAR possibly being used in future

It's relevant to your argument that Tesla will do it because it's what "everyone else" is doing.

Teslas success has been from not doing what everyone else is doing- and doing something a lot smarter, better, and usually with less cost and parts.

Just like using vision only for self driving.

Tesla Network Tesla-Owned vehicles, as is the next point about "tons of parts", and firmware updates.

You realize the tesla-owned ones will be existing model 3s coming off lease right?

Tesla specifically did not include a "leaser can buy at the end" clause- because they said they wanted them back for use as RTs.

0 of them have LIDAR.

Besides solving vision, they need to solve mud splashes, water, etc. obscuring the glass covering the sensors, not to mention snow blizzards and fog.

Does mud not get on LIDAR sensors?

Of course it does.

"adding more cameras" would work just as well if your entire reasoning is "with more of them it's less likely mud will cover one in a given direction"

And be a lot cheaper.

And not require complex, unneeded, sensor fusion to be created by Teslas software team.

From what I've seen of the V9.x beta videos so far, adding some variant of the B-pillar forward/side cameras to the lower front fenders would do a LOT more to help FSD out than LIDAR would.... (and be a ton easier to retrofit into existing cars too- which again, everyone who bought FSD before 3/19 was promised at least L4 for their purchase)

There's no real requirement to "drive in blizzards"- Even L5 explicitly states it's only needing to work in conditions a human can reasonably be expected to drive in. 8 eyes (cameras) will still beat 2 in those conditions.

I don't think Waymo and others are morons using LIDAR, do you?

Tesla thinks they are.

Waymo has been working for 12 years now, with Googles money, and their entire "consumer facing" product is.... a very few L4 robotaxis... in one tiny suburb of AZ with perfect weather....geofenced to that area... and still needing human backup assist remotely.

WHAT A FUTURE THEY HAVE SHOWN US!

Maybe a different approach will work better. Tesla thinks so.

Let's agree to disagree on some of these issues and watch and learn what Tesla is up to on August 19 from Elon and Andrei.

Fair enough... though it's a shame I can't buy some puts on your predictions :)

Of course it does (SUVs are overwhelmingly preferred to sedans by majority of consumers), but cannibalizing sales with a vehicle that sells at a higher price, and with a higher profit margin is a situation any company would die for.
Yet there is someone like my wife and I who dont like SUVs thus we purchase S over X and 3 over Y. So I guess 3 and S cannibalize sales.

That is about my take as well. In 2030 you might barely notice EV sales impacting total vehicle sales, by 2035 at the margins but by 2040 I could see total automobile sales sliding and fast. By 2050 I think it is a given that sales are plummeting.

Wouldn't it be wiser for us all to be a little more modest and agree that nobody is able to realistically guess the future more than a few years ahead?

IMO this morning’s screenshot is a pretty good example of how differently the same Tesla story can be written in a headline depending on the source. (I posted the screenshot instead of the link to avoid unintentional clicks for Insider and their Max FUD efforts). The Insider’s efforts are shameless, and perhaps more reflective of someone fearing a TSLA stock price run up, particularly given the first two headlines identify that all is under control and suggest the mission will continue soon.

View attachment 690986
I'm bursting in to laughter as Tesla flares up to $711. This stock is on fire! Get'em while they're hot!

August 2, 2021​

"The Tesla Model S Plaid has only been out for less than two months, but has already proven itself as the fastest production car ever made. Last month it set a new world record quarter-mile time of 9.08 seconds.​
"Now it can also holds the record of fastest electric vehicle (EV) at Laguna Seca after Randy Pobst claimed that title at the famous track this past weekend.​
"While competing at the TeslaCorsa 16 event on Sunday, the modified Model S Plaid from Unplugged Performance went around the 2.238 mile (3.602 km) track in just 1:28.213. That marks the first time an EV has officially completed a lap around Laguna Seca in under 1:30."​

... and torque that makes you go "oofdah!" :D

Cheers!