Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The double charging is certainly a significant issue for the few buyers it affects, and Tesla needs to do whatever they can to resolve it expeditiously. But in what world is this a legit front page news story? Absurd.

Unrelated, my Amazon package I ordered last week never arrived. I hear this has happened to several others as well. Little did I know I was potentially sitting on a Pulitzer prize winning story. Lora- DM me for details.

Especially enjoy the "Tesla refuse to give my money back even though they admitted it". The Tesla I bought had a dead person in the trunk, believe it was a short seller. Cnbc should contact me about it. There's always that one person that Fs it up for the shorts. Always go one step further from a ..okay this could happen to..wtf?
That guy has a 4 day old login here and was moaning in the Model Y thread. Interesting timing.

I love the whining sad mom. Lol

My thoughts and prayers go out to all these innocent victims.

The double charging is certainly a significant issue for the few buyers it affects, and Tesla needs to do whatever they can to resolve it expeditiously. But in what world is this a legit front page news story? Absurd.

Unrelated, my Amazon package I ordered last week never arrived. I hear this has happened to several others as well. Little did I know I was potentially sitting on a Pulitzer prize winning story. Lora- DM me for details.
My local car wash double charged me - true story.

It seems Tesla, or someone else, has bought the land south of the factory and also the land east of that land. My guess is that this is Tesla. Work is starting a bit slow, but maybe they just sent some unutilized trucks from their old factory to start the process while they are planning and contracting the rest of the work that should greatly expand soon.

The new land looks absolute huge. Will be interesting to see how its area compare to old land.

Korean news site Chosun is reporting that Tesla and Toyota are finalizing an agreement to partner on a small SUV. Tesla would provide the electronics and software (including Autopilot/FSD?), and Toyota would provide the vehicle platform.

'It is reported that Tesla and Toyota have reviewed the partnership since last year and are approaching the final stage.

According to an official from the Japanese automobile industry on the 28th, Tesla and Toyota are considering jointly developing a small electric SUV platform (the car's basic skeleton). The partnership review has been conducted since last year. Toyota provides the vehicle platform to Tesla, and instead, Tesla provides some of the electronic control platform and software technology onboard its vehicle to Toyota.

When the partnership with Toyota is established, Tesla will be able to launch a compact SUV electric vehicle at low cost using the Toyota platform. In addition, sales of Tesla in Japan, which are around 1,000 units per year, are likely to increase significantly.

Tesla and Toyota have previously partnered. The two companies agreed to jointly develop electric vehicles in 2010, and in 2012 marketed Toyota's RAV4 electric vehicle equipped with Tesla's battery system. However, due to various reasons such as sluggish sales, in 2017, Toyota sold all of Tesla's stake (holding up to 3.15%) and the partnership ended. However, the close relationship between Musk and Toyota CEO Akio Toyota was maintained, leaving room for a reunion between the two companies in the future.'

I believe Amazon is included for the sake of Bezos trying to bring online a starlink competitor, which may be sold under Amazon.

Makes sense for tooling to make one prototype, but to have a pilot assembly line requires space Fremont does not have.
One of my reads or youtube vids today said that when they did the refresh for S/X it created floor space to do it.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
The article mentions that Lidar based systems cannot see objects or street signs WHICH IS A BIG ASS DEAL if competitors didn't have a camera, but they do. The other players are not missing anything if they want to stick to a localized area. They don't need any Tesla's key ingredient as Waymo is already at L4 in geofenced area. Tesla's key ingredients sole purpose is to be able to scale faster and cheaply. Mountains of data is obviously NOT needed unless those are your goals. There's a huge difference between monetizing transport via robotaxies and generalized autonomy. You can start monetizing transporti via robotaxies way before generalized autonomy, which is the route Waymo is choosing. Tesla is in no hurry as they already monetized autonomy in the form of pre-orders.

It's like Elon said, having a geo-fenced autonomous system is like not having much at all. I can see it being valuable if the areas geo-fenced as off-limits were just 5-25% but if they are like 95-98% geo-fenced as off-limits? :rolleyes: And the annual cost to continually add another 0.5% each year would likely eat up all your profits (if any). The first mover advantage (to comprehensive autonomy) is the prize. Nothing else compares.

Tesla and Toyota are considering jointly developing a small electric SUV platform (the car's basic skeleton). The partnership review has been conducted since last year. Toyota provides the vehicle platform to Tesla, and instead, Tesla provides some of the electronic control platform and software technology onboard its vehicle to Toyota.

I don't really get what Toyota brings to the table other than the ability to manufacture it faster than Tesla could if they had to build another factory.

Korean news site Chosun is reporting that Tesla and Toyota are finalizing an agreement to partner on a small SUV. Tesla would provide the electronics and software (including Autopilot/FSD?), and Toyota would provide the vehicle platform.

'It is reported that Tesla and Toyota have reviewed the partnership since last year and are approaching the final stage.

According to an official from the Japanese automobile industry on the 28th, Tesla and Toyota are considering jointly developing a small electric SUV platform (the car's basic skeleton). The partnership review has been conducted since last year. Toyota provides the vehicle platform to Tesla, and instead, Tesla provides some of the electronic control platform and software technology onboard its vehicle to Toyota.

When the partnership with Toyota is established, Tesla will be able to launch a compact SUV electric vehicle at low cost using the Toyota platform. In addition, sales of Tesla in Japan, which are around 1,000 units per year, are likely to increase significantly.

Tesla and Toyota have previously partnered. The two companies agreed to jointly develop electric vehicles in 2010, and in 2012 marketed Toyota's RAV4 electric vehicle equipped with Tesla's battery system. However, due to various reasons such as sluggish sales, in 2017, Toyota sold all of Tesla's stake (holding up to 3.15%) and the partnership ended. However, the close relationship between Musk and Toyota CEO Akio Toyota was maintained, leaving room for a reunion between the two companies in the future.'

I'm not the only one reading into this and putting the dots together that Toyota is the auto maker that Elon mentioned on the Q4 earnings call as having discussions about licensing Autopilot/FSD right?????

I don't really get what Toyota brings to the table other than the ability to manufacture it faster than Tesla could if they had to build another factory.

Lower costs? Toyota pays Tesla for the software........of which most of the work has already been done, while Toyota get's the low margin manufacturing part. Seems like Toyota would be paying Tesla for it's software and electronics, so mostly straight profit. The electronics would most likely be the FSD hardware and the camera/sensor suite. Seems like a win-win for Tesla

Not surprising:

"The main stories I thought it would be interesting to highlight were old powertrain deals Tesla made with large automakers. For example, there were August 2010 and October 2010 statements about a new partnership with Toyota. “Tesla Motors, Inc. (‘Tesla’) entered into a Phase 1 Contract Services Agreement (the ‘Agreement’) with Toyota Motor Corporation (‘TMC’) for the development of a validated powertrain system, including a battery, power electronics module, motor, gearbox and associated software, which will be integrated into an electric vehicle version of the RAV4,” Tesla wrote in one of them. Most of us know that Tesla had this relationship with Toyota, but it struck me that it’s now more than 8 years later and Toyota is yet to produce a fully electric vehicle itself. The RAV4 EV, which owners loved, is long retired and Toyota has not found a way to bring another competitive EV to customers’ garages — or decided it didn’t want to do so."

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Clearly there’s a lot of manipulation in the markets. But pretending the macros aren’t more powerful drivers verges on tin foil hatting. Between the margin calls hitting banks, inflation fears (which are unfounded IMO), ever given, etc there were plenty of reasons for a temporarily depressed market.

TL;DR it’s not always evil boiler room stuff. Sometimes it’s just “*sugar* happens”

Lol, you understand that ships have boiler rooms, right? :p

Cheers!

Being more reliable than Waymo for robotaxi absolutely meaningful, because Waymo isn't reliable enough yet. Thus why they are operating in a very fixed confines.
You seem to completely misunderstand their approach. Waymo will ONLY ever work in very fixed confines. That's why they need 3-D maps, so they can stumble around in the dark like a blind man with LIDAR. Until it rains (snow, hail, fog, smoke). Then dey fooked. Again.

Waymo is AT BEST expensive DEMOWARE. It will never become a general solution to FSD.

Because PHYSICS.

For reference, just 10% of Toyota's annual production is close to 1 million vehicles. If all of those Tesla+Toyota vehicles are equipped with Autopilot sensors and compute, that could significantly increase Tesla's lead in collecting data for Autopilot and also grow the fleet for deploying robotaxis (as well as any future OS/software entertainment that could be future revenue streams).