Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers are overwhelmed with Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers were meant to get Tesla’s from point A to B... not meant to be primary charging source for buyers that don’t charge at home.
That used to be true, but there are more apartment dwellers using Superchargers now. Most people should be able to charge at home, but not everybody.

Need to get rid of free supercharging or limit how much free charging at one sitting.
Limiting Supercharging to 80% in core urban areas like Orange County would make sense, at least during high demand periods.

Reactions: Gen3 and juliusa
Limiting Supercharging to 80% in core urban areas like Orange County would make sense, at least during high demand periods.

I don't think limiting charging in any way should ever be a method to deal with overcrowded chargers. That's not addressing the issue at the core and it's causing other problems. The only solution can be to get cars charged faster or have more stalls or both.

Tesla has gotten themselves into this mess. They kept handing out free supercharging even after they realized it's not sustainable and they can't even keep up with demand. They are notoriously behind their own schedule in building out the Supercharger network. And yet again, they free supercharging is back with the new referral program.

The problem I see is the great reputation Tesla's Supercharger network has is starting to erode. Waiting at a supercharger has become a common thing in busy areas. This causes more and more people, especially new owners, to get worried about being able to use their cars for long distance traveling. Early adopters and tech geeks are fine waiting at a supercharger talking to other owners. But normal people and especially their family members are not taking this well. Word gets around and this will have a negative impact on Tesla.

OR will they just raise S.C. pricing to make it less desirerable to charge away from home and push more to install and use home charging?

Luckily in Ontario Canada this issue hasn’t been a major concern for me , unlike some of the US it seems.
I only ever stop at a SC’s when I’m >200km (120miles) away from home and can’t make it back on a round trip. Most times there is no one or max three stalls in use.

I don't think limiting charging in any way should ever be a method to deal with overcrowded chargers.
In rural areas, I agree. But in places like Orange County, California? No one is going to be stranded because they're limited to an 80% charge at an OC Supercharger during peak hours. Better to be limited to 80% than to have to wait in line.

Tesla has gotten themselves into this mess. They kept handing out free supercharging even after they realized it's not sustainable and they can't even keep up with demand. They are notoriously behind their own schedule in building out the Supercharger network. And yet again, they free supercharging is back with the new referral program.
Agreed. The thing is, free Supercharging really sells cars - it's powerful marketing. If Tesla is going to offer free Supercharging, then building out the Supercharger network needs to be done quite aggressively. Maybe we'll see things happen faster with V3 on the table.

OR will they just raise S.C. pricing to make it less desirerable to charge away from home and push more to install and use home charging?
I hope not, at least not in California, where Supercharging costs are in the same ballpark as gasoline for the Civic or Prius (commonly traded cars for people stepping up to the Model 3).

Reactions: KJD
Superchargers were meant to get Tesla’s from point A to B... not meant to be primary charging source for buyers that don’t charge at home. Need to get rid of free supercharging or limit how much free charging at one sitting.
Tesla's policy says: "We are continually expanding our global network of Supercharger stations to enable personal long distance travel and to provide a charging solution for those without immediate access to home or workplace charging"

One of the things Tesla can do is to come up with a CCS2 Adaptor. I've seen SC packed where a high speed CCS charger is empty. It would be great to be able to spread the load out.

Also Tesla should work on reducing the charge time. Right now V3 is available for M3 and the MY when it's released. But Porsche is based upon 800v 350kw vs Tesla's 400v 250kw chargers. Why not move to 800v with the newer models? Also I think it's great that V2 superchargers are getting upgraded to 145kw. Now if they can increase the rate of charge for MS and MX...

Reactions: Dave EV
There are a couple of main things they could do. One is called "price yourself out of the market". Instead of just not offering something, you can charge more until it pushes some demand away, and then you're not overwhelmed. But:
I hope not, at least not in California, where Supercharging costs are in the same ballpark as gasoline for the Civic or Prius (commonly traded cars for people stepping up to the Model 3).
Yeah, in the places where there is a capacity problem, the rates are already pretty high, so that would get kind of unfair/unpleasant for people in apartments and condos who really do need to use public charging spots.

But speaking of public charging spots, option #2 is that it shouldn't need to be only Superchargers.
One of the things Tesla can do is to come up with a CCS2 Adaptor. I've seen SC packed where a high speed CCS charger is empty. It would be great to be able to spread the load out.

Tesla could ease off some of the load of Model 3s swamping the Superchargers if they could use either CHAdeMO or CCS. That could be a self-solving supply and demand issue where there is a line waiting for certain Superchargers, and people might choose to go use a CCS spot that is usually open to avoid the wait. So Tesla is somewhat responsible for the crowding since they have not enabled the Model 3 to use either CHAdeMO or CCS stations.

Reactions: GreenT and abasile
Porsche is based upon 800v 350kw vs Tesla's 400v 250kw chargers. Why not move to 800v with the newer models?
In terms of charge times, 350 kW peak power would only offer very marginal benefits compared to 250 kW, at least with today's battery technology. The Model 3 can't take the full 250 kW for very long before it starts ramping down. I'm pretty sure the Porsche Taycan's charge rate ramps down pretty quickly as well.

I think the Supercharger V3 specs are plenty good enough for the next few years. It wouldn't hurt to move to 800V, but is it needed? The challenge will be to get the infrastructure deployed at scale, and as you say, to upgrade the S and X to handle V3. Also, as has been reported elsewhere, we expect that the V3 infrastructure will also serve as the foundation for the Megachargers needed for the Tesla Semi.

As a potential solution for these types of situations, I would love to have a couple of select supercharger stalls limited to 15 minutes. That could result in a rapid turnover at just these stalls for people who just need to add 30-50 miles.

Most are charging all the way up or near max SOC. Charge quickly and move along, people are waiting! should be a large sign at all SC.

We all did it when we were SC virgins.

Not true.

Not true any longer. "Fill up here its the only place we can and its Free". Others you know need it because they are traveling.

Superchargers were meant to get Tesla’s from point A to B...

Tesla will soon have a real mess on their hands, we are feeling the same pain all the way over here. Gotta travel smarter.

Last edited:
Oh, come on. A hundred grasshoppers is not a plague, but a million are. A plague is where too many grasshoppers eat all the grain down to the ground, and that picture is appropriate when there are too many Teslas all vying to suck what's available, all day long. If Tesla would charge more during peak times and make it free at night, it would cut some of the selfishness going on and travelers could get a charge.

What I have seen is that what makes it a plague is too many local owners "having" to charge, who would be "inconvenienced" if they had to charge at home, and don't want to be bothered with putting in home charging when they can drive 5 miles and charge. And if it's free, it's going to be abused. If it's double or triple what the electric rates are, it might actually cover the cost of putting in the supercharging equipment, and MIGHT even jar someone's thinking about home charging being a better option. Otherwise, people are glad to spend an hour waiting, reading the paper, making others wait, so they can get free or very low cost charging.

Something very useful is to use the Map display inside the car to check the usage for each Supercharger in advance.
So you can avoid peak hours. The Superchargers are mostly unused later at night.

- I wish this was also available on a website or a phone App like when using Tesla.com / Find Us.

- Do you think that having a waiting line set up would be helpful so, to avoid big fights...

Note: I wish Tesla provides a CHADeMO 50kW, and also CCS, plugs for the model 3.

Before I installed my home charger, I was going to Whole Foods Market and I had to plug all the night using the J1772 plug.
This was not very practical as I didn't know in advance if the single L2 plug was available,
and a little bit scary as I had to walk back home late at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldschool496
The simple solution would be to upgrade these superchargers to v3. Model 3 and Model Y can charge substantially faster than the X or S. When that happens it will mean the Model 3's can move from charging spots faster.

That helps a bit, but better solution is more "urban chargers" in locations where people Supercharge instead of home or work charging.

There are still some notable gaps in the Supercharger network in North America which need to be filled, but that's getting less and less.
But Tesla does need more Urban chargers in CA and more V2 and V3 chargers on heavily traveled routes.

Also I think it's great that V2 superchargers are getting upgraded to 145kw. Now if they can increase the rate of charge for MS and MX...
Upgrading to 145kW is a 20% increase in supercharger capacity at busy superchargers. At a full supercharger nobody is getting more than 120kW, so S and X being limited to 120kW has no impact.

There are a few superchargers in a few geographies that regularly have queues. Tesla is adding capacity in these areas. It will be fine. Really.