Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla streaming audio stations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice that the native Tesla streaming audio stations categorization is... bad? For example, the songs on the "Hits of the 80's 90's and Today" are not even close. The R&B stations are just full of autotuned garbage. I finally found a pretty good station and it's the "Old School R&B" station. Finally some good music, but old school? Old?

Skinner Meme.JPG

I'm curious. Has anyone else noticed this? What are your favorite channels?

I listen to TuneIn, primarily Doo Wop Radio and 1.FM Baroque ( I refer to these as Oldies and Real Oldies). I have free account. Suits my needs perfectly. Also subscribe to a number of podcasts on aTuneIn. Again, works fine

I remember hearing station jingles that played "80s, 90s, and today" but that was 20 years ago. I use Spotify. Lots of choice and better sound quality. I also tried Tidal for a few months. It wasn't bad, and I could find tunes I liked, but I missed having a feature similar to Spotify Connect when I was home. I didn't notice a difference in sound quality with Tidal vs. Spotify, even though I had their highest plan.

I wouldn't suggest buying the highest quality Tidal plan just for your Tesla, as the improvements are not that noticable. However, for home use on a good system, nothing beats it for streaming music. The variety is the best and the Master quality level is designed for home A/V systems.

In my opinion, the best genre, era and artist specific streaming service is SiriusXM. It will work in Tesla 3 and Y model via the web browser. The sound quality isn't the best and using the Tesla web browser is clunky.

TuneIn (paid tier) and Apple Music are just okay. The free TuneIn is now a disaster because of the avalanche of commercials. I don't see much advantage of either over Tesla's built in streaming service, except that Apple Music allows you to play your own tunes. No one in our family has either the paid Amazon Music or Spotify, so I can't say anything about them. I've yet to see anyone who figured out how to get Amazon Music to work via the Tesla web browser.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
Anyone else notice that the native Tesla streaming audio stations categorization is... bad?

With the Tesla default streaming service (Slacker) you can effectively create your own station that matches your music taste.

Using either their predefined categories, or by searching up individual songs that you like, start hitting "thumbs-up" on songs. Do this for a several dozen songs, then switch to the channel "Tesla Favorites." This channel will play songs that you have thumb'd up as well as songs deemed similar (by Slacker). Over time as you thumb-up or thumb-down songs, the accuracy will improve.

With the Tesla default streaming service (Slacker) you can effectively create your own station that matches your music taste.

Using either their predefined categories, or by searching up individual songs that you like, start hitting "thumbs-up" on songs. Do this for a several dozen songs, then switch to the channel "Tesla Favorites." This channel will play songs that you have thumb'd up as well as songs deemed similar (by Slacker). Over time as you thumb-up or thumb-down songs, the accuracy will improve.
I've been thumbs upping/downing a lot. I always wondered if the Tesla Favorites were favorites of the profile, favorites of the car, favorites of Telsa owners in general, or favorites chosen by Tesla.

Agreed, it's unclear. I know it is directly influenced by your thumbs up/down, but what I don't know is, is it profile-specific or car-specific.

I guess in theory you could thumb-up a lot of very specific genre music you would never listen to (e.g. polka) under a different profile, then switch back to your profile and see if that music starts showing up in rotation under Tesla Favorites in your profile. The only downside would be, if car-specific, trying to undo this once Slacker thinks you like that kind of music.

Pretty sure the favorites are car-specific. There is a service account associated with the service. I remember taking delivery of my 2015 from Tesla and they had to re-enter the Slacker/streaming service account credentials before I drove off. If you are paying for Spotify or Tidal, however, I think there are options to do this on a per-profile basis with each profile being tied to a different streaming service account. I don't think this works with Slacker or Apple Music though:

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I read somewhere that Tesla Favorites are favorites of Tesla owners in general, but I don’t recall the source.

I don't think that's the case. I have about 25 or so individual songs that I marked 'favorite'and 'thumbs up'. Now, when I select 'Tesla Favorites', it plays those songs mixed in with others from the same artists/groups. There are a few songs mixed in that seem to be unrelated as far as I can tell.

I don't think that's the case. I have about 25 or so individual songs that I marked 'favorite'and 'thumbs up'. Now, when I select 'Tesla Favorites', it plays those songs mixed in with others from the same artists/groups. There are a few songs mixed in that seem to be unrelated as far as I can tell.
I have the opposite experience. My Tesla Favorites have nothing to do with that I've favorited. I favorite mostly 80s-2000s music. It plays only current year, autotuned crap. So I never use it.

I have the opposite experience. My Tesla Favorites have nothing to do with that I've favorited. I favorite mostly 80s-2000s music. It plays only current year, autotuned crap. So I never use it.

Interesting, perhaps your 'Favorites' function is disabled in some way. It would be nice if Tesla would provide some information on how these services are supposed to work. Otherwise, all we can do as users is to speculate whether something is or isn't working correctly.

Interesting, perhaps your 'Favorites' function is disabled in some way. It would be nice if Tesla would provide some information on how these services are supposed to work. Otherwise, all we can do as users is to speculate whether something is or isn't working correctly.
This is a Slacker service so asking Tesla about how it works is like asking Tesla to explain how Apple Music or YouTube algorithms work. You would need to email and ask Slacker since Tesla is ONLY providing their service. ;)

This is a Slacker service so asking Tesla about how it works is like asking Tesla to explain how Apple Music or YouTube algorithms work. You would need to email and ask Slacker since Tesla is ONLY providing their service. ;)

Perhaps, but the selection is labeled 'Tesla Favorites', so I would think there is some collaboration between Tesla and Slacker. Maybe there are some tutorials from these companies out there somewhere.

Has any cracked the code on using "free" Tesla Streaming? I now have Tesla Premium Connectivity (PC) and unlike when I had the 30 day trial, I cannot stream Slacker without it wanting me to create a premium account. I thought this was part of the $99/yr. or $9.99/mo. PC.

Tesla Streaming (Slacker Radio)​

While branded as a Tesla streaming service, Tesla has partnered with Slacker Radio to provide a free Slacker Plus account (ad-free) to Tesla Premium Connectivity customers. In the US, this music service shows up in the vehicle simply as "Streaming."
This account mirrors the features of a Slacker Premium account, enabling drivers to search for songs using voice commands, create and stream playlists, and enjoy curated streaming stations for their enjoyment. Source: Tesla Music Streaming Services and Apps (Spotify, TIDAL, Slacker, TuneIn and more)

Has any cracked the code on using "free" Tesla Streaming? I now have Tesla Premium Connectivity (PC) and unlike when I had the 30 day trial, I cannot stream Slacker without it wanting me to create a premium account. I thought this was part of the $99/yr. or $9.99/mo. PC.

Tesla Streaming (Slacker Radio)​

While branded as a Tesla streaming service, Tesla has partnered with Slacker Radio to provide a free Slacker Plus account (ad-free) to Tesla Premium Connectivity customers. In the US, this music service shows up in the vehicle simply as "Streaming."
This account mirrors the features of a Slacker Premium account, enabling drivers to search for songs using voice commands, create and stream playlists, and enjoy curated streaming stations for their enjoyment. Source: Tesla Music Streaming Services and Apps (Spotify, TIDAL, Slacker, TuneIn and more)
I'd log out of the "free" streaming and then log back in with your Tesla credentials. If that fails, do a two button reset of the UI.

Reactions: holmesm1