Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sentry Mode captures thief’s face, license plate during Model 3 break-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish news outlet will talk more about this as much as burning Tesla. But this will be on ABC7 news in San Francisco tonight, they also claimed SFPD confirmed to them that the suspect was arrested today.

Tesla Sentry Mode captures thief's face, license plate during Model 3 break-in
Well that is interesting considering that the OP of this incident a few days ago claimed that the SFPD was saying they "might" look into it. Some people were saying that car break-ins is practically getting no priority these days. Not sure if that is correct. It's just what people are reporting on web sites. A couple days ago, I sent that link to KGO and KRON down there just in case they didn't get it from someone else already. I sure hope things like this get more publicity to help send a message to thieves. I might help somewhat.

But as a side note, if the criminals do get smart, they will just remember to also take the USB drive with them when they steal everything else :rolleyes: There really needs to be a better way to save sentry video.

Well that is interesting considering that the OP of this incident a few days ago claimed that the SFPD was saying they "might" look into it. Some people were saying that car break-ins is practically getting no priority these days.

The difference may be having the face and license plate of the offender which makes their work fairly easy. (They can probably get the individuals name from DMV records without putting their donut down.)

But as a side note, if the criminals do get smart, they will just remember to also take the USB drive with them when they steal everything else :rolleyes: There really needs to be a better way to save sentry video.

The video is supposed to be sent to Tesla as well, and you could get the video from them when necessary.

The difference may be having the face and license plate of the offender which makes their work fairly easy. (They can probably get the individuals name from DMV records without putting their donut down.)
Good point Mike. That's funny, but one hand is on the donut and the other is on the coffee cup.:D If I understood correctly from the victim's presentation, he stated he was surprised that the police was not certain if they would look into it or not, even after supplying them with the video showing the face and license plate. I surely hope they are not that busy

I wish the car could fight back. Hurt these perps in a way that discourages them from ever trying again... I have no sympathy for them. Give them a non-lethal electric shock when touching the seat fold down button while the car is parked and locked. Trap their fingers in a bear trap like device - I don't care.

Funny thing is that I'm probably quite far on the soft hearted end of the spectrum. But when it comes to someone threatening or hurting people or damaging propertly, it all goes out the window. Hopefully never out of a broken Tesla window (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Just watched the news, SFPD said suspect was arrested, charged with the break in as well as parole violation, guess he is not going to walk. But ABC7 news (always had bad things to say about Tesla) said security camera feature like Sentry is nothing new and not exclusive to Tesla, a lot of other cars have the same thing. Really?

Until we citizens demand a government that effectively addresses income inequality, the 'have nots' will continue to steal from the 'haves'. You'd think the Insurance Corps would be lobbying for this but, no, I see them simply passing their costs down to the law-abiding citizens among us. Somethings gotta change, or America's democracy is gonna break and well be facing Civil War II.