Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it would also un-park the car as well!

Imagine if Tesla could fix the wipers, the headlights, the sat nav routing, the phantom braking, proper blind spot monitoring, the speed sign & control, what a great car it would be!
Seems like there is a common theme that brining software in-house from established industry standards has caused a hit in quality. Like all decisions it’s a double edged sword, long term it will have advantages but for now it seems frustrating. Hopefully videos like this will add pressure for them to add the resources to improve, but I imagine until FSD is production ready all other features will be deemed good enough and be low priority.

One cannot help but deduce that despite the hype, Musk’s vision of “vision only” is in part already a failure and will, in the not too distant future, become a complete and costly failure.
Who knows what might happen if this Twitter court case blows up in his face and he’s forced to sell a sizeable amount of Tesla to someone like Apple or a car manufacturer that actually knows how to build cars with basic features that actually function

Reactions: Durzel
One cannot help but deduce that despite the hype, Musk’s vision of “vision only” is in part already a failure and will, in the not too distant future, become a complete and costly failure.
There’s evidence to suggest Tesla aren’t even totally confident in their Vision-only direction.

Elon has also said to them that high definition radar would be better than pure vision, but that “it doesn’t exist”. Perhaps it will soon?

The problem I have about the basics not working properly is that it becomes increasingly harder to believe the bigger stuff will. If the car can’t remove rain from the windscreen consistently, how can we expect the front facing cameras to have the unimpeded sight of what’s ahead needed to do autonomous driving effectively?

It is also embarrassing to have a car that everyone else thinks is bleeding edge technologically, that “drives itself”, that you know doesn’t do the basics properly, or those basics are missing entirely. The Tesla reality distortion field means the world thinks it’s a more capable car than it is, but the people in awe of its assumed autonomy aren’t the ones spending £50k+ on it. Those people who are in awe or perhaps even jealous are going back to their cars that in all probability work better than ours do, in terms of driver convenience stuff.

I’ve flip flopped between wanting to replace my 2020 M3P with a newer one, and nearly did during the bonkers trade in prices earlier in the year. As it is though the more I see of other cars the less convinced I am about Tesla’s ability to remain at the front in terms of autonomy. It’s arguable they’re already behind or only equal to current cars from other manufacturers as it is (Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5 have summon and remote parking that works, for example). I also grow less and less tolerant of Tesla’s indifference to Europe. The US gets FSD beta and all of the attention, we get fart updates and autonomous features taken away.

There’s evidence to suggest Tesla aren’t even totally confident in their Vision-only direction.

Elon has also said to them that high definition radar would be better than pure vision, but that “it doesn’t exist”. Perhaps it will soon?

The problem I have about the basics not working properly is that it becomes increasingly harder to believe the bigger stuff will. If the car can’t remove rain from the windscreen consistently, how can we expect the front facing cameras to have the unimpeded sight of what’s ahead needed to do autonomous driving effectively?

It is also embarrassing to have a car that everyone else thinks is bleeding edge technologically, that “drives itself”, that you know doesn’t do the basics properly, or those basics are missing entirely. The Tesla reality distortion field means the world thinks it’s a more capable car than it is, but the people in awe of its assumed autonomy aren’t the ones spending £50k+ on it. Those people who are in awe or perhaps even jealous are going back to their cars that in all probability work better than ours do, in terms of driver convenience stuff.

I’ve flip flopped between wanting to replace my 2020 M3P with a newer one, and nearly did during the bonkers trade in prices earlier in the year. As it is though the more I see of other cars the less convinced I am about Tesla’s ability to remain at the front in terms of autonomy. It’s arguable they’re already behind or only equal to current cars from other manufacturers as it is (Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5 have summon and remote parking that works, for example). I also grow less and less tolerant of Tesla’s indifference to Europe. The US gets FSD beta and all of the attention, we get fart updates and autonomous features taken away.
I’m in full agreement. There are some things it does very well, there are some things, perhaps too many, that it does badly and quite a few things it could easily do and doesn’t.
Having bought FSD which is tied to the car, there is zero incentive to buy another Tesla let alone buy FSD again.
The Ioniq Electric I had before the Tesla was superior in some respects. If it had 300 mile range I’d have kept it
Mine is 3 years old in March and will be due for a change. Tesla have until then to pull their socks up!

Reactions: goRt and Durzel
Multi modality sensing is how the rest of the industry is doing things. Each sensor type brings its own pros and cons. LiDAR for example similar to radar can get you accurate ranging but has issues in the rain like vision does. Most of the industry is picking two or more sensor types and fusing the data for ground truth.

I think Tesla are too focused on the future. Cars that are autonomous and robots to replace humans. “Little things” like the car parking itself seem “beneath them” is the attitude I get from them.

I’ve found the lane changes work by just keeping your hand on the wheel with the same amount of force you need to stop the car from nagging you. Not had to deliberately tug at the wheel to get it to work
5A6E47CA-C134-498E-B8C3-D755D445F999.jpeg

If I just hold it as per normal it doesn’t move you actually have to pressure it to do so (more than I find if I just overtake myself).

Oh and out of topic - anyone else had a speeding ticket for not paying attention to the speed because it’s no where near where I’m looking at road 😅😳 my first in over 25 years haha… honestly had no idea I was just over taking some guy doing 60 in the middle lane !

Reactions: positiv
View attachment 843041

If I just hold it as per normal it doesn’t move you actually have to pressure it to do so (more than I find if I just overtake myself).

Oh and out of topic - anyone else had a speeding ticket for not paying attention to the speed because it’s no where near where I’m looking at road 😅😳 my first in over 25 years haha… honestly had no idea I was just over taking some guy doing 60 in the middle lane !
Didn’t you explain to the officer that you where in chill mode🤷‍♂️

It's so rare for autopark to 'see' a spot that most of the time I forget it can.. and the rare occasions I try it invariably aborts halfway. I've given up on it.
Tried it a few times too and I get the same result on my M3. It doesn't see most spaces, and when it does find a space it meanders and then fails. Terrible and completely unusable.
Just like the video.

There's another thread where someone shows the car hit another car while self-parking. IIRC the argument was that the driver is responsible for the vehicle at all times. Might dig it out to see if that was the final outcome.

My own take (independent of regulations in place) is: if you don’t have any control over the steering and movement of the vehicle while it performs an automated task, and not prompted to “take back control” you shouldn’t be held accountable….