Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fight hard, New Jersey Tesla owners and fans! It can work. There are states (like Minnesota) where you can show up in numbers and make a difference. Just remember, these "behind closed door" meetings can have a different tone when the hallway leading up to the closed door is clogged with owners and supporters. Witness is accountability.

Can someone who is attending this meeting today video it? If things go the dealership's way, this would be good evidence to get the legislature to act (showing what the administration is doing to protect dealers outside the oversight of the legislative branch). It would likely go viral too (probably require some editing to get a shortened version to appeal to short attention spans).

I don't live in NJ, but my paper plates were from NJ when I picked up my car in Boston. How will this affect cars delivered to the Boston SC? Are they still putting on paper plates form NJ?

Folks,

Transport Evolved is setting up a LiveBlog at LiveBlog.com | 404 for the event, protest etc. Please contact me directly (Nikki at Transport evolved dot com) if you want to offer your help in live-blogging it. The accounts are free, but we'll need to add you to the event I've created to collate all the info.

We'll push the event live at http://www.tranpsortevolved.com nearer the time.

As despicable as this action is - and earlier I described it as a nationwide whack-a-mole - I am trying to find a silver lining in it - as follows:

PERHAPS today's effort, if successful by the Christie administration, will be what tips the Obama administration to grow a pair and invoke the Interstate Commerce clause of the Constitution. And if not the NJ situation, then the next one or the next one, will do it. Hang in there, everyone!

To register your opposition to the anti-Tesla #ev provision in 30 seconds! Call 609.292.6000 and say “I oppose PRN 2013-138” - no fuss!
just don't call and blurt that out to the operator who answers the call, ask to be put through to the governor's office, identify yourself and then articulate your opposition to this proposal

FWIW: I just spoke to a friend of mine in a legislative office and she told me that while this is an executive branch issue they've received so many calls about this that the legislature might have to look at this issue.

one big problem I noticed was a severe lack of understanding of what the problem tesla is facing. the feeling up there is that Tesla has an advantage over the dealerships and that this regulation will end that advantage, they want Tesla to sell through an independent dealer. I tried to educate this aide but I don't know how well I did.
Tesla needs to get their message out, and the time for that is almost past.
regardless of what you may feel about the political game, part of being in business is knowing how to play that game.

Last edited:
I just sent the Tesla blog post to a friend of mine who carries some weight in local Jersey politics.

I could see this garnering some national media attention, and Christie looking bad. Wonder what the auto dealers offered Christie, seems like this would only hurt his 2016 chances more. Maybe ruling against Tesla is an admission that he's not running for President in 2016.