Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some help on the forums--

I have five referrals in the last quarter, but I have not received any contact regarding the associated rewards. The referrals show up on my Tesla App and in my Tesla account. I have tried calling and emailing customer service for the last 3 weeks and they say they are looking into it but never get back to me--I won't call it the runaround, but it is starting to feel that way.

View attachment 260599
Does anyone have any advice on what my next step would be? I was really hoping to surprise my kids with the Powerwheels Tesla. The Arachnid Wheels and the PowerWall would be nice, too...
Time to move

i agree Bonnie but the clock is ticking on my future powerwall..

there have been at least 3 or more referrals that have "slipped away". One guy bought a car but gave the referral to someone else which actually made sense to me that he would give it to a close friend rather than a stranger and in the process I met someone new and helped them to decide to be an owner so I have no issue with that.

You are right you never know what helping someone along will do for you unexpectedly regardless love to help people embrace the future and the referral prizes are just a perk... that being said I WANT MORE PERKS>> LOL.

Referral questions...

1. If memory serves the 5th referral gets you an invite to the semi unveiling which i believe is this week... what happens if I get my 5th (god willing) 2 weeks from now... does it count towards the next "unveiling" or factory event?

2. Currently i have just enough referrals for the 21" rims... but 2 of my referrals have not received their cars yet and the referral is not "official" until they do so... my big fear now is that one of the 2 cancels their order at the last minute leaving me no time to react before the program expiration. I am wondering how frequent/rare cancellations are. obviously i am trying like heck to get #4 and 5 but if i am not successful should i be sweating it out right now...

thanks

You'll likely get an invite to whatever the next "reveal" event is.

Cancellations do happen... so if you can it's good to have a backup (or two) just in case.

Oh, and I have had cancellations... but then the people re-ordered and still used my code, so it was all good. But there was a few days between those events where I was down one referral.

Just doing some tax planning for the new Roadster and the referral program.

Assuming I get to 55 referrals (100% off) before they change the terms of the referral program, I just checked with my tax guy, and assuming everything else stays the same between now and 2020 (tax code, income, deductions, world war III, etc), and assuming Tesla sends out 1099s for the FMV of the base Roadster ($200,000), and that they do not gross-up the award to pay the taxes (highly unlikely, but welcome), my combined state and federal taxes for the award would be just over $80k for a "free car".

Better start saving up those "tax losses" now. ;)

If you use TurboTax, try adding a $200k 1099-misc and see what happens.

Just doing some tax planning for the new Roadster and the referral program.

Assuming I get to 55 referrals (100% off) before they change the terms of the referral program, I just checked with my tax guy, and assuming everything else stays the same between now and 2020 (tax code, income, deductions, world war III, etc), and assuming Tesla sends out 1099s for the FMV of the base Roadster ($200,000), and that they do not gross-up the award to pay the taxes (highly unlikely, but welcome), my combined state and federal taxes for the award would be just over $80k for a "free car".

Better start saving up those "tax losses" now. ;)

If you use TurboTax, try adding a $200k 1099-misc and see what happens.

$80k!!! Isn’t that way more than the cost of sales tax if you were to buy the roadster???

How many more do you need for a free roadster?

$80k!!! Isn’t that way more than the cost of sales tax if you were to buy the roadster???

Oops! I didn't figure state sales tax in the figures above.

Sales tax would add another $15k to the total cost. So all in, I'm out $95k for the "free car."

If I were to just buy the car outright and pay sales tax, I'd be out $215k.

Still, that's a difference of $120k.

Reactions: MP3Mike

How many more do you need for a free roadster?

About 18 referrals? Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program

I’m wondering. Do you have to order the car now to get the discount or do everyone in the referral program get the offer to buy when the time comes? It was “only” 1000 Founders, right?

I’m wondering. Do you have to order the car now to get the discount or do everyone in the referral program get the offer to buy when the time comes? It was “only” 1000 Founders, right?

I'm guessing that the referral winners will be notified to order with their discount in 2020 when the car is close to ready to ship. Since only one person has hit 55 referrals so far, he would/should know better if one has to order "now".

I'm also guessing the "referral" Founders editions are in addition to the first 1000 deposits. Like Bjorn who won a "founder's edition" Model X well after the original Founders edition cars were made/delivered. What is founder's edition other than a loaded car with a label slapped on it and sold for $50k more?

Oh, and another thing.. the referral awards are any % discount off the "Founder's Edition" Roadster. That's going to be A LOT of people with somewhere between 2% and 100% discount. I'm sure they don't count in the first 1000 deposits for the "real" Founder's edition cars.

• Informative
Reactions: nasatech
Status
Not open for further replies.