Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some tax planning for the new Roadster and the referral program.

Assuming I get to 55 referrals (100% off) before they change the terms of the referral program, I just checked with my tax guy, and assuming everything else stays the same between now and 2020 (tax code, income, deductions, world war III, etc), and assuming Tesla sends out 1099s for the FMV of the base Roadster ($200,000), and that they do not gross-up the award to pay the taxes (highly unlikely, but welcome), my combined state and federal taxes for the award would be just over $80k for a "free car".

Better start saving up those "tax losses" now. ;)

If you use TurboTax, try adding a $200k 1099-misc and see what happens.

are you going to provide test drives for people that helped you get to your 55 referrals?

Hey Guys,

I haven't seen any threads about whether this was kosher so I thought I might as well try. If you are going to buy a Tesla and use my referral link I am willing to pay you a nice bonus on top of the $1000 tesla will give you!

PM me if you are interested. Mods if this is not allowed please delete.

Help me get to 50 Referrals and I'll give you a ride in my Tesla Roadster!

Hey Guys,

I haven't seen any threads about whether this was kosher so I thought I might as well try. If you are going to buy a Tesla and use my referral link I am willing to pay you a nice bonus on top of the $1000 tesla will give you!

I think Tesla could disqualify you from the program - might want to check the program rules ...

I am willing to pay you a nice bonus on top of the $1000 tesla will give you!

There is no more $1000 discount for using a referral code, just free unlimited supercharging, until the end of January, 2018.

The discount might come back, might not. Who knows.

The rules are murky on this, for sure.

It falls under "good faith" (see below). Is this a "nefarious scenario"?

Good Faith
We introduce programs such as these in good faith and expect the same good faith in return. Please note that we may withhold awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. To be clear, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing or selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable.

Hey Guys,

Nope not kosher

They state in the program rules that you can't sell your referral code. However, the opposite is not mentioned.
Your call. My interpretation is that offering bribes to use a referral would be contrary to the Good Faith clause... would be a bummer if you had to pay all these people AND had your referrals invalidated.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.54.25 PM.png

Referral questions...

1. If memory serves the 5th referral gets you an invite to the semi unveiling which i believe is this week... what happens if I get my 5th (god willing) 2 weeks from now... does it count towards the next "unveiling" or factory event?

2. Currently i have just enough referrals for the 21" rims... but 2 of my referrals have not received their cars yet and the referral is not "official" until they do so... my big fear now is that one of the 2 cancels their order at the last minute leaving me no time to react before the program expiration. I am wondering how frequent/rare cancellations are. obviously i am trying like heck to get #4 and 5 but if i am not successful should i be sweating it out right now...

thanks
They Loose $2500 Deposit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.