Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is interesting. On the referral website (for Round 2), it says the prizes for 5 and 10 referrals are:
  • Each owner that makes 10 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Model 3 unveiling event.
  • Each owner that makes 5 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Gigafactory opening event, including transportation to the Gigafactory facility from Reno, Nevada.
But in the "10 days left" email we just got, they are:
  • Ten or more referrals will receive a VIP invitation to Model 3 unveiling event
  • Five or more referrals will receive a VIP invitation to Gigafactory opening event

So what's this "VIP" thing? Or is it just marketing and everyone invited is a "VIP"??

And is the GF party invite from Round 1 different from the GF invite from Round 2? (I ask because I have GF invites from each round ;) )

I asked about that ... I also have invites from the 1st round to the Gigafactory and asked if I got 5 in the second round could I trade the Gigafactory invite for a Model 3 invite. I was told no one had asked that. For me I'm stuck on 4 referals in the second round so it may be a moot point .... :-( There can't be many of us at any rate.

now i feel like a bad salesman too. I've got 1 that should have been a referral (friend used my link, got car), but it never showed up for me. Nothing else.

Some have reported that Tesla is vetting the referrals. I had one guy who actually remembered my contact information reach out to me in desperation for details so that he could defend his "friendship" and overcome Tesla's interrogation.

The l;attest email from Tesla reads in part: "There are just ten days remaining in this quarter’s Referral Program." That they refer to *this* quarter's program. Makes me wonder if there will be a *next* quarter referral program. And more after that. ???

The l;attest email from Tesla reads in part: "There are just ten days remaining in this quarter’s Referral Program." That they refer to *this* quarter's program. Makes me wonder if there will be a *next* quarter referral program. And more after that. ???

The fact they renewed the referral program right after the first one finished telegraphed to me they were going to have ongoing incentive programs at least for a while. They need to keep up production and sales of the Model S while the Model X spins up and keep both going until the Model 3 hits the streets. It's all part of Elon's secret plan he published five years ago.

Ultimately Tesla must be making more money from the incentive program than it costs them.

The same folks are winning the contest. Bjorn will get a second free car. They should limit folks to one car per year or something. It takes away the incentive for anyone else to try.

The same folks are winning the contest. Bjorn will get a second free car. They should limit folks to one car per year or something. It takes away the incentive for anyone else to try.

It's ok for this year, but...

IF there will be a next time, perhaps it should be 1k (or so) voucher per every referral, only to use on your next ordered car at TM. The free Tesla per region then might be on a lottery only, for every referrer.

That won't decrease the referrer sales - probably, while everyone can achieve a nice discount, it might increase them. And it would make the crowd a lot happier next time.

IF there will be a next time, perhaps it should be 1k (or so) voucher per every referral, only to use on your next ordered car at TM. The free Tesla per region then might be on a lottery only, for every referrer.

That won't decrease the referrer sales - probably, while everyone can achieve a nice discount, it might increase them. And it would make the crowd a lot happier next time.

That's a good idea. To sweeten the pot they could have one entry in the lottery per car sold, so your odds of winning go up with each car you sell.

They ran into problems giving $1K vouchers in the first round, courts in two US states ruled them illegal and there were some legal rumblings in California too (I'm sure someone remembers the details better than I do at the moment). That's why they dropped them on the second round.

I have thought that Tesla should give something or at least a chance for something to everyone who sells even one car. There are some people who maybe are too busy to promote the car that much, or don't know all that many people who could afford one, but might be able to move one or two if they got something for it. In my circle of family and friends, I know three people who can afford a Tesla, one of them would probably love one, but he couldn't charge it at home, he has no garage and not even a driveway and his house was built in the 1920s. The other two are in the oil business, though one actually does believe we should be moving away from fossil fuels and might be open to the idea of an EV, though he's also very frugal. I know lots of people who would love to have a Tesla, but have nowhere near the income to afford one.

I like that idea. Give away trinkets and VIP passes at certain milestones, but then one lottery ticket per referral sale with three cars worldwide being the prize. Cover the taxes on the cars so that you aren't hit with a big tax bill.

- - - Updated - - -

Make the odds in winning 1/200 so that for every 200 referral sales, Tesla gives away one car for free.

That's fine, as long as they don't expire in one year. Maybe a five-year expiration, or no expiration at all!

My sister wants to buy a Model S or maybe an X. She needs a few more days to get her husband on board. She doesn't know what to do... Order now to get 1k discount or wait until she decides which model, and win over reluctant spouse? Will the incentive be renewed? She will buy a Tesla one way or another but it would be nice to know what Tesla will do!

My sister wants to buy a Model S or maybe an X. She needs a few more days to get her husband on board. She doesn't know what to do... Order now to get 1k discount or wait until she decides which model, and win over reluctant spouse? Will the incentive be renewed? She will buy a Tesla one way or another but it would be nice to know what Tesla will do!

Tough one.

The program was renewed once and a recent statement seemed to imply that *maybe* there will be another program.

Maybe place the order before midnight and qualify hoping the husband comes around. But then I don't know what would happen to the deposit if they eventually decided to cancel.

Tough one.

The program was renewed once and a recent statement seemed to imply that *maybe* there will be another program.

Maybe place the order before midnight and qualify hoping the husband comes around. But then I don't know what would happen to the deposit if they eventually decided to cancel.

An X deposit is refundable. An S deposit is not. My bro-in-law will come around. It's just a matter of time. By the end of the day? Maybe...

Well at the last minute on New Year's Eve my Brother-in-law came to his senses and my sister placed an order for a Model S! She got the 1k discount from my referral link and I'm very excited for her! Her husband made a comment like "Now I'm going to have to explain to my friends why we're buying an EV after all my negative comments about them over the last few years." Apparently he had a lot of misconceptions about EVs, like most of the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.