Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like for instance in VA is it legal to say "For hitting the 5 referral threshold you get an invite to the GF Grand Opening plus a $5,000 stipend for transportation, lodging and food for the trip"?

But you can't say "$1000 bonus per sale"?

That's like in the 80's when gas stations started charging a surcharge for credit card transactions, and all the CC companies balked at that and forced the gas stations to revoke that policy... so they all changed it to "discount for cash".

I just received my note from Jon McNeill, indicating that I am the winner of the referral program for North America.

I'm aware that there are hard feelings, as there was the change in the rules for initially Virginia then Ohio, resulting in our referral codes being worth $2000 instead of $1000. I admit that as the person who initially decoded the overall process, this was an advantage in gathering referrals. However, please note:

- I am receiving no per-referral credit. It is all in the process of being mapped-back to the buyers as a discount prior to their deliveries. In fact I'm happy that people were able to get some extra money off their new cars.
- I have continuously asked people to 'know a friend, be a friend', stating that if you know an owner, don't just use a VA/OH code to grab an extra discount and screw your friend.
- I have tried, and in some cases succeeded, to deflect referrals to others to get to the 5 and 10 referral levels. Quite honestly, I could have been the top scorer globally if I hadn't
- I have spoken out against code selling, and other external efforts to bird-dog codes. I have emphasized that my information was completely within the rules.
- The majority of my referrals reached out to me directly via e-mail or PM, and I have not only provided them my information, but also answered many questions on ownership, options, etc. I did not just sit back and let the counter accumulate, but actively worked to earn the referrals.

This is a problem generated by the states of VA/OH (and likely CA, based on the news), in their antiquated laws. Virginia is in particular very backwards, especially when you consider that most counties no longer offer breaks in the personal property tax (in my county Loudoun, I pay 4% annually, while back in 2012, it would have been 1% until they figured out that people buying EVs were 'rich'), no longer get to drive single in HOV lanes (current clean fuel plates are only good for two areas in Richmond), and our legislature is looking at invoking special taxes for EVs to support infrastructure, as we don't pay state gas taxes.

This is not Tesla's fault. There are those that say Tesla should have excluded VA/OH owners from participating, but that wouldn't have been fair to us. Nor do I think it would have been fair for Tesla to pocket $1000 on cheaper referrals from our states either. When you look globally, the winner in Europe, from Denmark, was able to leverage the fact that Denmark is phasing out EV tax breaks at the end of the year, so that in 2016 the Danes buying Tesla will pay the 180% tax every other car buyer in that country pays. Even Bjorn Nyland admits that was an advantage no one was going to overcome. In Asia it was a multiway fight of owners taking advantage of EV credits available in their respective countries.

I admit that I am a salesman at heart, and most people in VA/OH may have thought, what's the point if I don't get the per-referral credits. But I saw this an an opportunity to get more people into the best car on the road, which was fully the intent of the program.

Congratulations guy ... good to hear from the top Leaderboard person ... now we can put a personally with the high numbers .... :) Your points are well said ... we unfortunately do live in a state where the car lobby has very tight control over antiquated laws. I like the analogy of the blacksmith running out in the road shaking his horse shoes in anger at the automobile ..... this transition Tesla is leading is being fought tooth and toenail across most states. We all are rooting for Tesla and the entire EV phenomenon ... and as the powerhouse ICE cars are being forced to reckon with ... these aren't golf carts ..... :) This transition has a long way to go yet and we all are being part of keeping it moving forward.... keep up the good work ... this program got a lot of people off the fence I think .... and heck I spend every day it seems answering some question about the car or being asked to take a picture .... referral program or not it is easy to recommend the car and fun to open the frunk to show them the engine and watch their confusion .... :)

Perhaps as the number of owners grow, the referral program would become difficult to manage. However, I know that I'll continue to try to sell the cars whether there is 'something in it for me' or not - as I expect is the case for most other owners too! :biggrin: I did plenty of test drives with people, as the local supercharger logs will attest (why does this guy charge for 5 minutes so often??? :wink:) and whether that sold any cars or not, it sure opened many pairs of eyes. There will be sales as a result, eventually, I'm sure of that.

It would be nice to see the program continue, even without any financial incentive to the 'seller', because the discount is valuable to the buyer. The 'something in it for me' is in fact the success of the company and with it, the success of EV's in general and the associated reduction in carbon emissions. Or maybe that should be the 'something in it for my kids'...

Whatever the case, I'd like to see the program continue in some form, because it clearly sold cars!!!

Are any of the winners planning on selling their Founders Model X. If so, what do you think the market price will be? Higher or lower than the "retail price"?
I'd guess *ANY* Model X that is available for purchase in the next 3 months will have a premium price tag. Once people start seeing them out there, people are going to want to buy one ASAP, and I suspect that some prospective owners will be prepared to pay significantly more than the "list" price to get one without the potential 8-12 month delay for a reservation placed today.

From what I recall, there were some folks who turned around early Model Ses for a quick profit (though I'm sure most early owners were squarely in the "from my cold dead hands" category).

-CB

I received my email from Jon McNeill too!

I'm Canadian and I got 12 referral and received the mail from Jon McNeill ... is there other Canadian's who made it over the 10 referral? If not, my Model X founder's edition will be unique and a piece of collection! :smile:

Please see article about it (french): http://roulezelectrique.com/model-x-powerwall-vip-giga-usine/

Hope to meet you all during the Gigafactory VIP party!!!

Tesla-referal-program-p.jpg

Well, I'm jealous of all those that got the Gigafactory tour, etc. But, you all deserve it.

As for me, I didn't even try. All my friends and acquaintances have been given rides in my Model S, but I didn't even ask if they wanted to purchase. Most of them are in my financial situation. I could never have purchased, if it hadn't been for TSLA stock I bought in 2011 and 2012.

I know there aren't a lot of details yet, but does anyone know if the powerwall includes an inverter? And what if you need the 10kWh version for temporary outages and don't have/need the 7kWh powerwall for nightly supply?

All good questions to ask when contacted - I don't think Tesla has given those answers yet. I'd like a second Powerwall and am hoping I can just roll that into the installation of the first. But I'll wait to talk to them before spending any more time thinking about it. This stuff can make you crazy. :)

i saw this on mytesla also, but when you click on "learn more", it reverts back to Oct 31. Wonder what's going on?

And if you click on the URL you are taken to the Design Studio but there's no mention there like before of the $1,000 credit. So I'm wondering if the exertion is so new that they've just not had enough time to update the relevant pages.

I have the same thing, and the "learn more" still says Oct 31st too.

I am with you: they probably did not have time to update it yet (or forgot!), because the counter to the right says 57 days left...
While they might have waited a few days to renew so they could get their heads together and analyze data, they also might have taken a breather to get past the earnings call so they wouldn't get questions like, "Does the extension of the referral program mean there's softening demand?"

I wonder if there's still an discrepancy with the OH and VA credits? Gigatour at 5? Founder's X at 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.