Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to choose?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine arrived less than 30 minutes ago. I'm sure they're doing them one at a time - I'd bet yours will arrive shortly.
Good point. I arrived at the question with a "I'm a single person with a single car" point of view.

As for the letters, yeah. I'm thinking that since everybody has slightly different information, they can't mass mail them out.

Good point. I arrived at the question with a "I'm a single person with a single car" point of view.

As for the letters, yeah. I'm thinking that since everybody has slightly different information, they can't mass mail them out.

I'll only keep one. But I have confirmed my Sig and expect to take delivery soon. I'd be an idiot to pass up a Founders.

I just received an email from Jon McNeill, President, Global Sales and Service regarding the referral program. He confirmed that I qualified for the option to buy a Founder's X, receive the powerwall, and the invite to the gigaparty. "A member of our Inside Sales team will reach out within the next two weeks to confirm whether you intend to purchase a Founder Series Model X. They’ll be able to answer any questions you might have about configuration and lead times during the call."

Yep, just got my powerwall and gigafactory email too.

(Good communication on Tesla's part, btw.) Here's the email (minus the contact info):

Speak of the Devil, no sooner then I hit post.... Got it! Cant wait for that Founders X call!

got mine also and tenth one has 2 days to go to be cleared.

Congrats to all of you that did such a great job referring!

Congrats to all of you that did such a great job referring!

Thanks, Andy. With the exception of a couple of forum members here (you know who you are & thanks), the rest of mine were all local, met through EV advocacy at various events or Tesla Time in parking lots. :) A few unexpected ones rolled in sometime between 10:30 and midnight last night.

I just received my note from Jon McNeill, indicating that I am the winner of the referral program for North America.

I'm aware that there are hard feelings, as there was the change in the rules for initially Virginia then Ohio, resulting in our referral codes being worth $2000 instead of $1000. I admit that as the person who initially decoded the overall process, this was an advantage in gathering referrals. However, please note:

- I am receiving no per-referral credit. It is all in the process of being mapped-back to the buyers as a discount prior to their deliveries. In fact I'm happy that people were able to get some extra money off their new cars.
- I have continuously asked people to 'know a friend, be a friend', stating that if you know an owner, don't just use a VA/OH code to grab an extra discount and screw your friend.
- I have tried, and in some cases succeeded, to deflect referrals to others to get to the 5 and 10 referral levels. Quite honestly, I could have been the top scorer globally if I hadn't
- I have spoken out against code selling, and other external efforts to bird-dog codes. I have emphasized that my information was completely within the rules.
- The majority of my referrals reached out to me directly via e-mail or PM, and I have not only provided them my information, but also answered many questions on ownership, options, etc. I did not just sit back and let the counter accumulate, but actively worked to earn the referrals.

This is a problem generated by the states of VA/OH (and likely CA, based on the news), in their antiquated laws. Virginia is in particular very backwards, especially when you consider that most counties no longer offer breaks in the personal property tax (in my county Loudoun, I pay 4% annually, while back in 2012, it would have been 1% until they figured out that people buying EVs were 'rich'), no longer get to drive single in HOV lanes (current clean fuel plates are only good for two areas in Richmond), and our legislature is looking at invoking special taxes for EVs to support infrastructure, as we don't pay state gas taxes.

This is not Tesla's fault. There are those that say Tesla should have excluded VA/OH owners from participating, but that wouldn't have been fair to us. Nor do I think it would have been fair for Tesla to pocket $1000 on cheaper referrals from our states either. When you look globally, the winner in Europe, from Denmark, was able to leverage the fact that Denmark is phasing out EV tax breaks at the end of the year, so that in 2016 the Danes buying Tesla will pay the 180% tax every other car buyer in that country pays. Even Bjorn Nyland admits that was an advantage no one was going to overcome. In Asia it was a multiway fight of owners taking advantage of EV credits available in their respective countries.

I admit that I am a salesman at heart, and most people in VA/OH may have thought, what's the point if I don't get the per-referral credits. But I saw this an an opportunity to get more people into the best car on the road, which was fully the intent of the program.

I just received my note from Jon McNeill, indicating that I am the winner of the referral program for North America.
[snip]
I admit that I am a salesman at heart, and most people in VA/OH may have thought, what's the point if I don't get the per-referral credits. But I saw this an an opportunity to get more people into the best car on the road, which was fully the intent of the program.

Congrats to you - for winning and for a classy post.

Congrats on your win, notblueclk.

This is not Tesla's fault. There are those that say Tesla should have excluded VA/OH owners from participating, but that wouldn't have been fair to us. Nor do I think it would have been fair for Tesla to pocket $1000 on cheaper referrals from our states either.

Well, it didn't have to be one or the other.

I may have been one of the first to post on TMC that I thought Tesla was making a mistake by doubling the discount for customers purchasing in Virginia, and that I expected there'd be a lot of Virginians at the Gigafactory party. The path Tesla chose to take unleveled the playing field for everyone in the other 48 states within the US.

A pretty simple solution that would have kept things fair would have been for Tesla to leave the $1000 discount in place for the buyer, and take the $1000 in credit that would have gone to the referrer and donate it to a Virginia / Ohio charity. They could have gotten creative with that, possibly even selecting a handful of charities, and then letting the referrer designate which charity would receive the $1000.

That's just one way Tesla could have handled this differently, that I think would have resulted in things being more fair across the board. I'm sure there are others.

Thanks, Andy. With the exception of a couple of forum members here (you know who you are & thanks), the rest of mine were all local, met through EV advocacy at various events or Tesla Time in parking lots. :) A few unexpected ones rolled in sometime between 10:30 and midnight last night.

I ended with 16. 3 co-workers, 3 friends, an unknown number of people from events and the parking lot at the mall (I'm not entirely sure who bought), and a bunch from the forums all via PMs. 2 showed up within the last few days and I have no idea from where. I suspect a third-party referral. I stopped actively trying to refer online once I hit 10, and even sent a few to others.

Congrats to notblueclk. Have we met?

I think the program might easily been time-extended (like the PayPal one was) had it not been for the "twist" introduced by those state laws.
I'm thinking they will bring it back at some future point, with some revisions, after evaluation and a "lessons learned" analysis. Probably not until late next year is my guess. They don't want to make it too soon either.

I think it varies from state to state. In VA, I think it definitely would, as the law is very strongly worded to disallow any kind of incentive whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles this. They appear not to have thought about it very carefully, which is concerning.

My understanding is that it prohibits per transaction incentives, i.e. commissions. It does not prohibit receiving a benefit from reaching thresholds (5, 10 etc)

I'm thinking they will bring it back at some future point, with some revisions, after evaluation and a "lessons learned" analysis. Probably not until late next year is my guess. They don't want to make it too soon either.

I too expect they will tweak the rules before the next referral program, but something will be done in the future I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.