Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, my friend just got $90k off a new exotic car, and that was that, no 1099.....

offering a discount vs "prize" is what I'm saying....

It never works that way. Any taxing authority will go by the fair market value of the prize, not the actual selling price, i.e. $1.

And yes, if someone is getting a $100k Model X for $75k, they'll have to pay the tax on the $25k. Tesla will likely send them a 1099 for that amount, since they'll also be writing off the same $25k. There are no shortcuts.

Last edited:
View attachment 89553

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, he's aware. But I love the fact that he's not really trying that hard.

"Here's the link, if you guys want to use it, great, so I'm out of here for a few weeks."

Hope it's OK to post this....I haven't really followed this thread or what the TMC policy is regarding the referral program. Please delete if this goes against protocol.

Björn Nyland's referral link - YT

Tesla referral program - YouTube

Can you tell how many total referrals there are?

Forgive me! Roadster owners are old school. We don't have that app-thingy.

Still have to hope no one cancels ... or that a Roadster owner doesn't just blow everyone away. ... now curious who is leading in the North America region.

Umm... Speak for yourself... OVMS is a godsend! (Thanks to all the devs, especially markwj)

Same curiosity here...

I don't think so, my friend just got $90k off a new exotic car, and that was that, no 1099.....

offering a discount vs "prize" is what I'm saying....

It depends on how the company is reporting it. A regular discount, no. But a prize awarded with a fair market value? Likely a taxable event in the case of the free Model X and the $25k of upgrades and most certainly every one of the $1000 perks to the referrer.

then a lot of people are going to be very unhappy and a lot of people are wasting their money with their advertising.
This is exactly why I went over there to talk to them :) I don't want to waste my time on a strategy that gets me nowhere.

I can't imagine any dealership allowing you to sit on their lot and try and steal business away from them...that'll surely get you the swift boot off their private property.
Yeah, I'd probably be too scared to do that. You could sit outside the dealership area and just let people come to you if you wanted. It really depends on how badly you want to get that Model X.

^And how are they going to monitor that? Hire private detectives to find out who knows who and who talked with somebody or not? It would be one h*ll of a kind mess. And I would also point out, that some random person in Tesla sales center probably doesn't know any more than we about the program.

He told me they sent out a lot more information about the program internally to the employees and such about the rules, since a lot of employees are also owners they would need a pretty good explanation on what would count and what wouldn't. As for figuring out who did what, there are some pretty smart people over there at Tesla, and this isn't about thousands of people, this is just for the people that hit 10 referrals. You really only need to talk to 10 people to get to the bottom of it all... Seriously, though, feel free to try anything you want, I'm just putting out a warning to people from what I heard; it's totally up to you on what you decide to do.

Must figure out how to hack TMC and replace all referall links with mine bruhahahahah

doug's password is likely "tesla" ;)

Anyway, with regards to the issue of "non eligible referrals": I expect they will check thoroughly when it comes to the first in each region who supposedly won the Model X. For those earning 1-2 credits they might not check as thoroughly. Also it's quite possible that all the Xs won't be handed out (i.e. for example no one in Asia/Pacific is able to get 10 approved referrals before October 31st).

He told me they sent out a lot more information about the program internally to the employees and such about the rules, since a lot of employees are also owners they would need a pretty good explanation on what would count and what wouldn't. As for figuring out who did what, there are some pretty smart people over there at Tesla, and this isn't about thousands of people, this is just for the people that hit 10 referrals.

I would think employees and their family members are excluded from this contest as in the case with most company sponsored contests like this. Not really fair. They should always be promoting or else they aren't really doing their job.

I would think employees and their family members are excluded from this contest as in the case with most company sponsored contests like this. Not really fair. They should always be promoting or else they aren't really doing their job.

I don't know if the employees can participate, that was more speculation from me, but he did say they sent out a lot more details on it internally.

The whole altruistic part of "I'm mainly doing this to promote EVs" is BS IMO. Be honest and upfront about your intentions "I'm doing this to get a GigaFactory Tour, and if I get more people interested in EVs, great!"

I'm doing this to get a GigaFactory tour (and said so), and to get some CHAdeMO adapters distributed. It is my belief that adapters available at the charger are many times more useful than adapters locked up in individual Frunks.
The Kickback/bribe is a nod to human nature, so that there's something substantial in it for the new S buyer.
I noted that the rules do not restrict what the owner-referrer can do with the purchased accessories, while they do prohibit "transfer of the discount."

I hesitated to even post the CHAdeMO Pitch, but I know I have 0% chance of winning the FREE X Race and have neither a new car (nor even a CHAdeMO adapter) in my budget by December 31.

Read into it what you will. No one has asked for the code anyway (zero uptake will save me the legwork of arranging secure useful homes for these donated CHAdeMOs so it's all good either way :D). Bribes of functionality are boring...

Rick (3466)

Status
Not open for further replies.