Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Receives ATVM Loan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More Deposits

It's likely that a lot of would be buyers have been holding back from making a deposit to see if the Model S is really going to happen.

This could double the number of deposits in a very short time.

It's likely that a lot of would be buyers have been holding back from making a deposit to see if the Model S is really going to happen.

This could double the number of deposits in a very short time.

It might also increase the number of Roadster buyers.

For a long time (several years), I held off on putting money down on a Roadster because I was worried that Tesla would go belly-up holding my deposit. I was particularly bothered by the language in the early contracts where you weren't putting money down on a car, you were joining the "Tesla Roadster Club" or something like that. It seemed to me that it was designed to make it hard to recover (part of) your deposit in the case of a bankruptcy.

I was particularly worried because a friend of mine got burned trying to buy a Corbin Sparrow on a very similar deal.

Eventually, I decided that Tesla was doing well enough that I had a very high probability of getting my car, so I went ahead with the reservation back in April. Now I feel justified, because with this new infusion of money (and the government's tacit statement of corporate health that goes with it) it's clear that Tesla will be around at least in the medium term. I'm still not convinced enough to put down the $12K for the future battery replacement, though.

Maybe there are others just a little more cautious/less anxious than me who will now be buying Roadsters.

....and the government's tacit statement of corporate health that goes with it)...
Not to mention the 10% investment from Damlier.

... I'm still not convinced enough to put down the $12K for the future battery replacement, though...

This is something that I would totally do but have opted not to. Not for fear the company will go under though, it's because of the price jump they pulled on the Roadster. That battery paperwork also looked funky.

Last edited:
Not to mention the 10% investment from Damlier.

This is something that I would totally do but have opted not to. Not for fear the company will go under though, it's because of the price jump they pulled on the Roadster. That battery paperwork also looked funky.
What paperwork did you see as funky? I am still considering this, but have seen nothing other than the listing in the price list. Should I be requesting something from the sales folks?

It might also increase the number of Roadster buyers.

For a long time (several years), I held off on putting money down on a Roadster because I was worried that Tesla would go belly-up holding my deposit. I was particularly bothered by the language in the early contracts where you weren't putting money down on a car, you were joining the "Tesla Roadster Club" or something like that. It seemed to me that it was designed to make it hard to recover (part of) your deposit in the case of a bankruptcy.

I was particularly worried because a friend of mine got burned trying to buy a Corbin Sparrow on a very similar deal.

Eventually, I decided that Tesla was doing well enough that I had a very high probability of getting my car, so I went ahead with the reservation back in April. Now I feel justified, because with this new infusion of money (and the government's tacit statement of corporate health that goes with it) it's clear that Tesla will be around at least in the medium term. I'm still not convinced enough to put down the $12K for the future battery replacement, though.

Maybe there are others just a little more cautious/less anxious than me who will now be buying Roadsters.
I set the loan as my landmark to make a deposit. But, alas, my daughter's wedding has tapped into my deposit money. And now my son has announced that he's been selected to accompany a history professor to Europe next spring - so I'll have to make sure there's money for that. Still hoping to put down the cash when they break ground on the Model S factory this summer - but we'll see.

Nonetheless, I, like many others, was waiting for this announcement before I made the final commitment. How many others, like me, have decided to wait for another milestone?

I set the loan as my landmark to make a deposit. ... How many others, like me, have decided to wait for another milestone?

It was for me but my wife, not so much. She will need a new car soon but the S is too big for her and she has range anxiety that is a bit justified as she does a lot of long trips. Her $1K Fisker deposit still sits but we both agree they have gone too far with price increases (we have never seen the car in person).

So at this point no deposit on the Model S but on the good side, she may come around at the next benchmark because the Roadster is wooing her like Casanova.