Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Motor Trend chimes in with their evaluation of the updated software:

What Changed After the Tesla Autosteer Recall? Not Much.

In our estimation, Tesla has done the bare minimum to satisfy the NHTSA's concerns. It has made the warnings more visible, but it has not increased the frequency of those warnings. It continues to rely on easily deceived steering wheel torque sensors for all driving conditions that don't involve Autosteer, rather than cracking down on driver distraction at all times, as many competitors have done. It has finally enabled the head- and eye-tracking function on the interior camera, but only when Autosteer is active and then only when the driver appears asleep, turns their head away from the road, or looks at the car's single screen that controls nearly all vehicle functions and has long been accused of being distracting in and of itself.

To us, this update seems clearly tailored to stave off further government action for the time being while keeping "nags" to a minimum, not to reduce driver distraction and improve safety. Declining to publicize the recall and bundling it with more than a dozen other features while burying it at the bottom of the list suggests an intent to hide the information from owners. The fact we were able to look at a phone for more than 2 and a half minutes at 70 mph while using Autosteer post-recall is damning. Tesla often touts its cars as the "safest" in the world but continues to resist implementing the latest safety technology in good faith to prevent its customers from misusing its work-in-progress software.

2.5 minutes? If I look at my phone for more than several seconds, I get the "BEEP BEEP - Please pay attention to the road"...and rightfully so!
I just posted a comment below the article on MT. There is some serious FUD happening there. I can’t look at my center console or the MCU or hold a cell phone for even seconds before I get a major beep / flashing screen / warning. These are the same people that always spread serious misinformation about Tesla at every opportunity.

Reactions: zroger73 and Dewg
The initial recall fix I got on my MY did not appear to use the camera. If it did, it was extremely tolerant to the point that I could not get a Pay Attention warning out of the car. Perhaps I should have looked away for several minutes? 2023.44.30.8, however, is appropriately sensitive in the same car.

So, perhaps MT reviewed an early recall remedy that had some issues.

The only way you can look at your phone for 2.5 minutes with AP on is if you're deliberately trying to fool the system. It is possible if you wear sunglasses, keep your head pointed straight ahead, and hold your phone somewhere the cabin camera can't see (like on your knee). Otherwise I find it hard to believe.

Reactions: zroger73 and DrGriz
The only way you can look at your phone for 2.5 minutes with AP on is if you're deliberately trying to fool the system. It is possible if you wear sunglasses, keep your head pointed straight ahead, and hold your phone somewhere the cabin camera can't see (like on your knee). Otherwise I find it hard to believe.
Yeah, it doesn't jive with the accounts here. If it was possible some of the complaints here wouldn't be happening about it being too sensitive.

Reactions: DrGriz
2.5 minutes? If I look at my phone for more than several seconds, I get the "BEEP BEEP - Please pay attention to the road"...and rightfully so!

I just posted a comment below the article on MT. There is some serious FUD happening there. I can’t look at my center console or the MCU or hold a cell phone for even seconds before I get a major beep / flashing screen / warning. These are the same people that always spread serious misinformation about Tesla at every opportunity.
You're holding your phone in the wrong place :D ;)

Not that I advocate for unsafe driving, but if you hold the phone above the steering wheel (out of the view of the camera), the car won't know. If you want to see the view range of that fish-eye interior camera, just look at the live camera on your phone

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
This will be fun. While we are awaiting the fully featured and “solved” FSD product Musk promised for December 2017, we can take solace that the beloved “nags” will be even more extensive and wonderful.

If Musk would just shut his pie hole Tesla would get a lot less attention from regulators. Perhaps when he joins the Trump Cabinet in 2024 he will be able to squelch the regulators because shutting up his big mouth in the meantime isn’t in his DNA.
I had three near misses this week after the deployment of the new NHTSA required "safety" software that monitors your eyes through the cabin camera.

Speculate all you will, but the real origin of your consequential folly is directly related to Musk's conflict with former F-15 Navy jet jockey Missy Cummings, who now heads the NHTSA.

Elon Musk Sounds Worried About NHTSA Advisor Missy Cummings - Bloomberg

Cummings call sign as a jet jockey was SHREW. Believe me, with Cummings loving a good fight and Musk not being one to back down from anything, the party has just begun and the battle will be playing out in front of your eyes, in your cockpit, so you had better keep those eyes on the road. Missy is your new autopilot partner. There will be no "Taming of the Shrew".

Missy Cummings, a Top Robotics Expert, Is Elon Musk's Worst Nightmare

Once again Elon has pissed off the Pope, and we get to genuflect.

Last edited:
You're holding your phone in the wrong place :D ;)

Not that I advocate for unsafe driving, but if you hold the phone above the steering wheel (out of the view of the camera), the car won't know. If you want to see the view range of that fish-eye interior camera, just look at the live camera on your phone
IMG_1063.jpeg

Speculate all you will, but the real origin of your consequential folly is directly related to Musk's conflict with former F-15 Navy jet jockey Missy Cummings, who now heads the NHTSA.

Uh, not only does she not HEAD the NHTSA (she was a senior advisor, that's it), she doesn't even work there anymore- she resigned end of 2022.

And when she WAS there was forced to recuse herself from Tesla related matters

Also she flew A-4s and F-18s, not F-15s (which the Navy does not have)

Last edited:
Still waiting for tesla to force an update of this recall (yes I know they have months more in which to do so.)

December 20 I was told 44.30.2 was waiting for wifi to download. Then that offer was pulled from my car and...

December 22, 44.30.5.1 was waiting for wifi to download. Then that offer was pulled from my car on January 9, and...

As of January 11, 44.30.8 is waiting for wifi to download.

I'll just continue to sit out this recall/holiday/FSDb Frankenstein Update until they force it on me over LTE. I figure that won't happen until they stop issuing fixes on the fixes for the recall. It's been almost a month now since the first recall update started rolling out, and three attempts so far for my car. Christmas and the New Year have past, Easter is early this year, maybe that will be the holiday it arrives at (please god, with NO Easter Eggs although, in general since tesla doesn't document their updates fully, one could argue all updates contain many, many, Easter eggs since there are so many undocumented 'features'.)

Either Brooks interior camera is defective or he's mad he can't fail to pay attention anymore

Hand(s) on wheel, eyes on road, nags are basically never... the one exception is if I'm on a really long, REALLY straight, road where the wheel is never turning to detect torque... then I might get one and just touch the screen wheel to deal with it. The one thing the update DID seem to change is it's definitely quicker to alert when you take your eyes OFF the road though. Which was kind of the point?

Either Brooks interior camera is defective or he's mad he can't fail to pay attention anymore

Hand(s) on wheel, eyes on road, nags are basically never... the one exception is if I'm on a really long, REALLY straight, road where the wheel is never turning to detect torque... then I might get one and just touch the screen wheel to deal with it. The one thing the update DID seem to change is it's definitely quicker to alert when you take your eyes OFF the road though. Which was kind of the point?
What drives more social media hits, stating that the AP recall is no big deal or stating that Tesla and NHTSA have ruined it?

X is the Chicken Little platform.

The one thing the update DID seem to change is it's definitely quicker to alert when you take your eyes OFF the road though. Which was kind of the point?
You have to pay more attention when using driving automation to protect Tesla from liability, even though you still assume full liability. #logic.

If the world wasn't upside down, they'd demand the attention features when autopilot is OFF.

Reactions: ph0ton
If the world wasn't upside down, they'd demand the attention features when autopilot is OFF.
I think they are starting to do that. Isn't there a requirement coming up that all new vehicles will have to monitor for drowsy drivers and alert them? (Maybe it was just suggested.)

I know they were also trying to get it enacted that all cars would have to monitor for impaired, i.e. drunk/high, drivers, but again I don't know if that passed or not.