Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quietly Discontinues the 85 kWh Battery Option in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good questions. Not a lot of long trips no. And even if, we have our hybrid SUV for that purpose with kids. Usually around 100km a day of driving. Plan to park away Dec-Feb each year. So I suppose for our family life the 85D would suffice. Thank you for your input.

Looking at it another way, I don't see how another 26 rated km would really help me, thinking back on trips we have taken. It's essentially a buffer, and you can adjust said buffer fairly easily by slowing down 10km/hr. We've had no problems, only once pulling into a supercharger with 8km rated left. Usually it's between 20-80km on a trip, because I manage it that way.

I can't judge whether it's worth it to you (in fact, if I were buying again I might just go with 90 "just because"). But the 85 has been fabulous.

That's my thought as well. I'm only thinking about it as I purchased a model which has essentially been discontinued now so automatically it has been relegated to the 2015 model year. If I could just pay the $3k ish fee now to upgrade I may taken that option. However looking at my family's use, I most likely won't even notice. Just excited to get my blue 85!

That's my thought as well. I'm only thinking about it as I purchased a model which has essentially been discontinued now so automatically it has been relegated to the 2015 model year. If I could just pay the $3k ish fee now to upgrade I may taken that option. However looking at my family's use, I most likely won't even notice. Just excited to get my blue 85!
Technically Tesla doesn't do model years. They make upgrades when they make upgrades. Most of them are quiet, and aren't announced. For example, they started shipping Model Ses with LTE last year, before that it was 3G. They never announced it, a guy who just got his brand new Model S announced "Hey! I got LTE!" here on the board. Only the big changes, newer batteries, dual motors, etc get announced, only when they're ready.

Tesla is constantly changing their models. Don't worry about it, enjoy your 85 it's wonderful.

Appreciate the comments! I guess I'm used to ICE vehicles where year of car has a profound impact on resale. I guess it's more akin to buying a brand new model and finding out a month before delivery that your very car has been discontinued. I'll be receiving a 2016 built vehicle anyway but I guess it's the fact that 85D's will always seem like the 2015 era whereas now the 90D will maintain that 'newness' factor for years to come. (One would never know if it's a 15-18' model...forecasting an S refresh by 19') Driving wise the 85D is more than enough...it's more about perception and my 'new' car already being dated right out of the sales centre. Again T won't allow me even the option to add 90 without reconfiguring the entire car to today's prices. Meaning I'd be paying closer to 7k+ given the increase in base cost as well as option fees since I deposited late November. Surprised they won't even allow me the courtesy of paying the extra 3.x k to add in 90D battery...especially since my car is due to hit production Feb 10th.

After several years in production, Tesla went from 85kWh to 90kWh, about a 6% increase. No way they can jump from 90 to 105 or 110 in less than a year after the 90kWh battery -- that would be a 16%-22% increase in the same amount of pack space. Not gonna happen.
There will be a bigger battery, the only question is how much, and when most likely it will be either 100 or 105, and probably a few years away. I think that anyone who believes discontinuing the 85 was to "make room" for a bigger pack is sorely mistaken. The odd part isn't the discontinuation of the 85, it's that it took so long to do so after introducing the 90. My only thought is that they must have had some supply contracts they had to fill before ditching it, otherwise it would have been gone within a couple of months of introducing the 90. (just long enough to use up any inventory)

I agree...having 2 packs so close in range provides no real benefit. Going forward... It would likely upset a lot of 90D owners who now have an outdated battery within 6 months if a 105/110 pack is released. Having said that, T is never one to shy away from media announcements or trumping upcoming completion. As Audi, Ford and others are now announcing Etron variants with 100kw packs to come 2018/19, T will always strive to be the game changer and release better tech even earlier. Perhaps with the model 3 announcement this March, a newer lighter battery cell pack may surface...there are definate 10-15% gains they can take advantage of even now prior to mass gigafactory production. Hopefully they will allow 85 and 90 batteries to be upgraded.

Hopefully they will allow 85 and 90 batteries to be upgraded.
Sure they will, but you'd be stupid to do so.
The upgrade to replace your 85 with a 90 is over $20,000 (Hate to think what that would be in Canadian dollars!) and requires sending back your 85kwh pack.

The only way upgrading will make sense is when your pack reaches end of life, so maybe in 10+ years you can upgrade, but then the rest of the car is 10+ years old too, so how much money will it be worth putting in to a new pack?

I guess it depends if these cars age like traditional cars or if they age like airplanes. 60 year old planes are still flying as long as the engines get overhauled now and then. I'm betting a new battery will do the same for this car. 10 years is a third of my cars lifespan barring an accident.

I am assuming that most Tesla owners realize that their Model S's can always be upgraded later on from 85kWh to whatever they have 5-10 years from now right? They'll probably provide you with a new nameplate logo corresponding to the battery size too if you'd like. Gone are the "model years" for cars.... people aren't thinking about Tesla's the same way as a regular car.

I guess it depends if these cars age like traditional cars or if they age like airplanes. 60 year old planes are still flying as long as the engines get overhauled now and then. I'm betting a new battery will do the same for this car. 10 years is a third of my cars lifespan barring an accident.
Sorry, they'll age like cars. My last car was 20 years old when I sold it, and the engine was running fine, all the trim panels rattled, the speakers were blown, the sunroof only worked half the time, the upholstery was worn, the air conditioning was shot, there was play in the steering, there were scratches in the paint, some of the chrome strips were peeling off, the audio system played cassettes, and it didn't have airbags, let alone any active safety features, heck the back seat centre had only a lap belt! None of this stuff would be any different on an EV. Cars wear out, and are superceded with better technology.

10 years from now your car will be worth less than the cost of the battery pack you plan to put in it, and it will make more sense to upgrade to a 5 year old car that has a bigger, newer battery, less wear on everything, and dozens of new features your car doesn't.

I totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the motor lasts 2 or 3 million KM's before the bearings start whining and "getting annoying". By then, it may be cheaper to source a newer/used motor, and unlike an ICE, the swap is probably quick and easy to do. In Vancouver, I know places that would swap a JDM Honda engine for $300 labor. It took me 10 hours to do that my first/last time. The Tesla would probably be a couple hours for an amateur like me and 30 minutes for a pro that does it all the time. We already know how quick/easy a battery swap can be. I really look forward to seeing how this all unfolds over the next decade or two.

I totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the motor lasts 2 or 3 million KM's before the bearings start whining and "getting annoying". By then, it may be cheaper to source a newer/used motor, and unlike an ICE, the swap is probably quick and easy to do. In Vancouver, I know places that would swap a JDM Honda engine for $300 labor. It took me 10 hours to do that my first/last time. The Tesla would probably be a couple hours for an amateur like me and 30 minutes for a pro that does it all the time. We already know how quick/easy a battery swap can be. I really look forward to seeing how this all unfolds over the next decade or two.
How often do cars get taken off the road because the ENGINE died? it's extremely rare. cars fall apart first. The Tesla will be the same, how long the motor lasts is irrelevant, nobody will want to drive it long before that.

I think the reality will be somewhere between "aging like airplanes", "aging like cars", and "aging like iPhones".

Yes, I'm not saying my car will last 60 years like my 1953 Cessna. I'm estimating about 30 years. Although airplanes aren't exposed to salty roads, their aluminum is also much thinner than the aluminum in our cars. I also know that back in the early 50s Cessna intended for their planes to last about 10 years. I'm incredibly impressed by their longevity.
I don't doubt resale value in 10 years will be very low, but that has nothing to do with longevity. Just looking at the frame at the Tesla store I can tell it's not meant to be a 'throw away' car. That's not Teslas philosophy anyways. Sure, some people always want the latest and greatest. They will trade in every few years. I also think these cars will last way, way longer than anyone anticipated as long as wear items are replaced periodically. They will be faded, dinged and abused. The hardware will be outdated but my old S85 with whatever battery pack they have in 2035 will still be going everywhere I go.

How often do cars get taken off the road because the ENGINE died? it's extremely rare. cars fall apart first. The Tesla will be the same, how long the motor lasts is irrelevant, nobody will want to drive it long before that.
Uhh, I'd say most 15+ year old cars are taken off the road because of exactly that! The cost of repairs was more expensive than the entire car is even worth. Resale value is undoubtedly driven mostly by psychology (people expect to pay roughly 10% less for a year older car), but at a certain point, say 10 years, that stops and it starts to become all about the powertrain (e.g., the resale value of a 2005 and 2006 vehicle is pretty similar) -- and that's with the internal combustion engine, which lasts 200,000 to 500,000 KM depending on manufacturer, which most 10 year old cars are into. Near the end of life, the reliability is horrible, fuel economy is horrible (and getting worse at an ever increasing rate as it starts to burn more oil), and it all has to do with the ICE. How can you possibly argue that switching to a power train that lasts 10 times longer wouldn't change things?

Given that parts are essentially designed to fail and are stress tested to specific tolerance levels...it does no good for a manufacturer who also would rely on the turn over of their buyers to provide them a once in a life vehicle. It would cannibilize their future market. Plastics, rubber seals, leather...All these 3rd party supplies parts will eventually fail, tire, crack, peel and essentially rust past their manufacturing life expectancy...nothing to do with power train. The body will not last as long as the power train plain and simple.