Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, what Elon tweeted is contradictory to what Tesla posted, but since he seems to be an authorized agent, both the Tesla blog and Elon's tweet could be binding on Tesla. In fact, if somehow a non-owner who relied on Tesla's blog and a post-day 1 purchaser who relied on Elon's tweet somehow both got screwed, they could both sue and they could both win, even though their positions are in conflict, because each relied on a different representation that was binding on Tesla. Chew on that for a while Big Dog and see if that doesn't make your head explode.
Hate to burst your bubble but nothing about public statements re preference/sequence is the least bit binding. Both suits would be summarily dismissed in any court.

Hate to burst your bubble but nothing about public statements re preference/sequence is the least bit binding. Both suits would be summarily dismissed in any court.

Really, are you making the argument that no public statements are actionable, even when the plaintiff can show detrimental reliance and that Tesla should have known that the plaintiff or people like the plaintiff would have relied on the statements? Are you a lawyer? Good lawyers wouldn't make such generalizations. You've heard of false advertisement claims, right? The Tesla blog and Elon's tweet (if authorized by Tesla) could be treated as advertisements, they certainly are inducements to the public. You've heard of the VW diesel lawsuits, right? Here are some more. Happy reading!

New York prosecutor says Exxon misled investors on climate change

False weight loss claims lead to a $350,000 penalty

It’s a Match: California DAs, eHarmony Reach $2.2M Deal - Lexology

Tesla sued again in Norway

Really, are you making the argument that no public statements are actionable, even when the plaintiff can show detrimental reliance and that Tesla should have known that the plaintiff or people like the plaintiff would have relied on the statements? Are you a lawyer? Good lawyers wouldn't make such generalizations. You've heard of false advertisement claims, right? The Tesla blog and Elon's tweet (if authorized by Tesla) could be treated as advertisements, they certainly are inducements to the public. You've heard of the VW diesel lawsuits, right? Here are some more. Happy reading!

New York prosecutor says Exxon misled investors on climate change

False weight loss claims lead to a $350,000 penalty

It’s a Match: California DAs, eHarmony Reach $2.2M Deal - Lexology

Tesla sued again in Norway
I was speaking about this specific case.

Reactions: kingjamez
of course former Tesla owners should all get their. model 3"s before anyone else. They supported Tesla when Tesla was just a pipe dream and put up the 5k deposit when no model s cars were even in production.. if it weren't for them buying the expensive model s cars and taking a chance on Tesla the company would not be in business..repaying the people that kept Tesla in business when no one else put their money where their mouth was is deserved.. companies that support the people who kept them in business through hard times should be rewarded

Does anyone have insight into how priority will work once they release other configurations such as standard battery? Assuming that both owner and non-owners have been invited to configure at that point - will it simply be based on configuration/order date at that point? or will there still be other factors such as owner status, original reservation date, etc?
I'm very interested in how this will pan out. As it stands right now, I have access to the design studio for my 3, and can order at any time. And as changes are made to the design studio, I get them immediately. So presumably when the AWD option becomes available, I'll immediately be able to order it. But how on earth are they going to keep to a 4 week delivery window with that, if even 25% of current people that have ever been given access to the design studio are waiting for AWD, and plan to order as soon as it's available. That would be a much larger single "batch" of orders than each new batch of people that get access to the design studio. Even if they're at 5k/week production volume at that point, I doubt they'll be able to immediately change 80%+ of their production to handle AWD orders (that will spike, as everyone waiting for that immediately orders) and still keep up their 5k/week rate. Maybe they stockpile several thousand cars with the new option, before putting it in the design studio? But that gets really hard as the number of combinations goes up (SR+non-PUP, SR+PUP, LR+non-PUP, LR+PUP+White, LR+AWD+non-PUP, etc.)

I'm very interested in how this will pan out. As it stands right now, I have access to the design studio for my 3, and can order at any time. And as changes are made to the design studio, I get them immediately. So presumably when the AWD option becomes available, I'll immediately be able to order it. But how on earth are they going to keep to a 4 week delivery window with that, if even 25% of current people that have ever been given access to the design studio are waiting for AWD, and plan to order as soon as it's available. That would be a much larger single "batch" of orders than each new batch of people that get access to the design studio. Even if they're at 5k/week production volume at that point, I doubt they'll be able to immediately change 80%+ of their production to handle AWD orders (that will spike, as everyone waiting for that immediately orders) and still keep up their 5k/week rate. Maybe they stockpile several thousand cars with the new option, before putting it in the design studio? But that gets really hard as the number of combinations goes up (SR+non-PUP, SR+PUP, LR+non-PUP, LR+PUP+White, LR+AWD+non-PUP, etc.)
Maybe that option won’t roll out immediately to everyone, but in the same order as invitations went out?

Why "on earth" would you assume that the AWD or SR or any other ver will be on a four-week timeline?

Yes, my thinking exactly one should assume that the 'ETA' will be updated by the system based on what selections are chosen.

Given all currently selected choice are equally available the 4 week eta is always displayed. Once you add the AWD option the system will likely update (or you will get a follow up notification) indicating the actual delivery time based on the demand vs availability of that option.

Yes, my thinking exactly one should assume that the 'ETA' will be updated by the system based on what selections are chosen.

Given all currently selected choice are equally available the 4 week eta is always displayed. Once you add the AWD option the system will likely update (or you will get a follow up notification) indicating the actual delivery time based on the demand vs availability of that option.
I agree. I also think every new iteration will have its own rollout similar to how first production has gone.

Reactions: Rusty1
I'm very interested in how this will pan out. As it stands right now, I have access to the design studio for my 3, and can order at any time. And as changes are made to the design studio, I get them immediately.

As other people pointed out, it's the last part of your statement that you are assuming, but there is no evidence for. There haven't been any changes to what you can order yet, so you don't know you will get access to new configurations as soon as they become available.

The estimated dates for AWD make it clear that employees get to order it first, then owners and finally non owners.

Reactions: Big Earl
As other people pointed out, it's the last part of your statement that you are assuming, but there is no evidence for. There haven't been any changes to what you can order yet, so you don't know you will get access to new configurations as soon as they become available.

The estimated dates for AWD make it clear that employees get to order it first, then owners and finally non owners.
Yes, you are correct. All I'm going on is the slight redesign of the design studio last week, which is obviously in prep for new options. And my own experiences with the Model X process, which is obviously different. In the Model X process, even future options (5 seat in particular) were available from the beginning, and when you selected them your estimated delivery date would get pushed further out (though they turned out to be wildly inaccurate). Also, most changes applied to all users at the same time (un-hiding of 72A charger, a few others). BUT, one change definitely did not (for users that placed a reservation before the design studio become public, Matte Obeche was the no-cost trim style, and continued to be even after the design studio opened to the public, and new orders had a different option that was no-cost, and Matte Obeche was a premium).

I guess I should have been more clear that "here are a few past data points, which Tesla may or may not follow, I'm curious to what actually happens, and hope that it doesn't end up either killing Tesla production-wise, causing massive slips of delivery estimates for these options, or pissing off some person who feels they were slighted. Who am I kidding, there's no way they can satisfy all of those?"

Oh, and one more data point in support of AWD option showing up in waves as the replies to my original post suggest is that in the delivery estimator, my original, owner-priority reservation shows my AWD estimate as Jun-Aug 2018, whereas a January 2018 non-owner-priority reservation shows Late 2018 in that column.

I would suggest that everybody that's able to configure will be able to order at the same time, but that delivery order will be employees first, owners next and non owners (if they have been invited to configure) last.
I don't see a reason why AWD production will need a slow ramp up. Once they're ready to make them, in a few weeks (maybe a single week) it will go from zero to being able to run the whole assembly line making just AWDs for days until demand is satisfied. In the meantime there should be a freeze of new invites so AWD demand can be handled.
Once Tesla knows how to make 2000+ M3s/week, why making AWDs (or the small battery models) will be hard. You would have to assume that Tesla made non AWDs easy to make and then broke the goal with AWDs being hard ?
Same should go for the little battery, performance and everything else.
There is likely a bottleneck building motors, so delivering one motor cars make more sense at this point. Once motor production is high enough, bam, AWD production starts.
PS: The whole post is obviously just educated speculation.

So out of the 4 options that will eventually be added, what is the easiest to do, and what is the hardest?

Easiest to hardest guess:

1. White Seats
2. smaller battery
3. non PUP
4. AWD

White seats of the same type as the current ones, seems like a relatively easy change.

Smaller battery, not 100% sure what they would need to do.

Non PUP is like a totally new interior/exterior

AWD seems almost like a different car.

Maybe non PUP is even harder. Different seats, different roof, different interior features...

Reactions: BrianD
When Tesla wrote the Model 3 FAQ a few months ago, it seems like their expectation was that "second production" cars would have a standard range battery and would not have PUP. Sometime after that, they would offer white seats, AWD, and "PUP as an option". I have no idea if this has changed since then, but this is what is still written in the FAQ. Model 3 Reservations FAQ

I agree with your reasoning, however. It seems like white seats would be the easiest, but I have no automotive manufacturing experience.

When Tesla wrote the Model 3 FAQ a few months ago, it seems like their expectation was that "second production" cars would have a standard range battery and would not have PUP. Sometime after that, they would offer white seats, AWD, and "PUP as an option". I have no idea if this has changed since then, but this is what is still written in the FAQ. Model 3 Reservations FAQ

I agree with your reasoning, however. It seems like white seats would be the easiest, but I have no automotive manufacturing experience.

Actually in the original FAQ they stated White Interior as "Fall" and SR as "November", so you can't really say that White was promised after SR.

Got vin assignment today! 58xx!

Ps any suggestions on low rates for auto financing? Previously they were offering discount for Model S with pen fed for electric car. Previously I had a rate as low as 1.74% they are higher these days unfortunately.
There are at least 2 threads talking about financing options that may be better than tesla’s Offerings. If i can find them quick, i will link them here.

Reactions: erthquake