Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owenrs Club Dashcam Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stringing the wire is a bit tricky. If you have a fishing tape, (even better-one with a lighted tip) then the wiring is much easier. If you have a "sparger" - a stiff plastic spoon to pop off the panels. There are some good videos of a fellow lacing the wire along the righroof channel. I like this and did it. It was more work than just tucking it into the headliner, but the finished produce was good. Neither of these "accessories" are mentioned in the instructions, but came in handy.

Video of the right roof channel approach? I haven't seen that one yet.

3-968696-2 Male Side.JPG Power pigtail.JPG fuse pigtail.JPG The Power Magic Pro is not recommended (by other owners that have installed the Blackvues) for Tesla's. We simply don't need it. The Blackvue is not going to draw enough current to run down your 12V battery. Skip it. Hardwire kit? Its up to you. But in my opinion and my experience, its overkill. Here's what will work and is easier.

- Blackvue Power Pigtail 1.3mm x 3.5mm x 11.2mm Plug with 6 feet Cord Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LFRT8K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I don't use the cam-cam cable that comes with the kit either. Its about 10 feet longer than needed. I used the 20 foot version bought separately. Besides, not unfurling the power cable and cam cable in the box allows me to offer it untouched later when I sell the dashcam used on eBay. Here's what I use.

- Blackvue Pittsoft Blackvue DRxxW-2CH To Rear Camera 6M (20FT) Connection Coax Cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I2AMDSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you are as anal about making the perfect connection in the car for power, here's links to the OEM male connector and the pins used inside.

- Dashcam Mouser Connector Housing Male 3-968696-2
3-968696-2 TE Connectivity | Mouser

- Dashcam Mouser Connector Terminal-Pin Male 928918-1
928918-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

This is the pigtails that I use for 12v connections on puddle lights, logo lights and my dashcam to make it quick and easy to connect devices. These have a clip that prevents them from pulling apart. And they are very cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGN56V2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a picture of the OEM connector (housing) that you use in the mic grille for power.

3-968696-2 Male Side.JPG

I added two wire pigtails to the connector/pins to make it easier to manage once installed. What you don't see here is the inline fuse that I added between the power and the 1.3mm pigtail. See below for a picture of the fuse harness.
Power pigtail.JPG

fuse pigtail.JPG

Last edited:
What are the recommended accessories for installing in a Model S? Is it difficult to hardwire it in?
you will need a fuse,
View attachment 260232 View attachment 260233 View attachment 260234 The Power Magic Pro is not recommended (by other owners that have installed the Blackvues) for Tesla's. We simply don't need it. The Blackvue is not going to draw enough current to run down your 12V battery. Skip it. Hardwire kit? Its up to you. But in my opinion and my experience, its overkill. Here's what will work and is easier.

- Blackvue Power Pigtail 1.3mm x 3.5mm x 11.2mm Plug with 6 feet Cord Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LFRT8K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I don't use the cam-cam cable that comes with the kit either. Its about 10 feet longer than needed. I used the 20 foot version bought separately. Besides, not unfurling the power cable and cam cable in the box allows me to offer it untouched later when I sell the dashcam used on eBay. Here's what I use.

- Blackvue Pittsoft Blackvue DRxxW-2CH To Rear Camera 6M (20FT) Connection Coax Cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I2AMDSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you are as anal about making the perfect connection in the car for power, here's links to the OEM male connector and the pins used inside.

- Dashcam Mouser Connector Housing Male 3-968696-2
3-968696-2 TE Connectivity | Mouser

- Dashcam Mouser Connector Terminal-Pin Male 928918-1
928918-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

This is the pigtails that I use for 12v connections on puddle lights, logo lights and my dashcam to make it quick and easy to connect devices. These have a clip that prevents them from pulling apart. And they are very cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGN56V2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a picture of the OEM connector (housing) that you use in the mic grille for power.

View attachment 260232

I added two wire pigtails to the connector/pins to make it easier to manage once installed. What you don't see here is the inline fuse that I added between the power and the 1.3mm pigtail. See below for a picture of the fuse harness.
View attachment 260233

View attachment 260234
Now THIS is how to answer a question. Good job Artsci/Akikiki!!
I bought a full replacement power cable, should have bought the pigtail. I bought a massive fuse holder (weather proof), should have got a smaller one like offered here.

You have a few days before the group buy expires. Put your current one on eBay for three days and see if it sells for more used than the group buy one. What's it cost you to try?

When the 750 was released I bought it on a group buy and put my 650 up on eBay
The used Blackvues sell for very decent $$ on eBay
I got the 750 for almost free

Hopefully the 900 will be cable compatible with the 750 so I might be able to swap up again easily

Oh. That makes sense. It wasn't free, but the upgrade difference was pretty much free. I get it. :)

Thanks. You proved the point I was trying to say/make it clear that folks could get the 750 and sell their 650 for almost as much. You are the proof it can work. :)

Last edited: