Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open sources all design and engineering of original Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Reactions: IslandRoadster
A quick look suggests that the link "Diagnostic Software" is new compared to what we have observed before.
It points to a github repository. I found dbc files for the PEM and ESS in one directory and diagnostic software in another. The latter appears also to contain all the firmware. Some of the tools are written in Perl and hence source code. I didn't find source code for the firmware. Hopefully more will follow, but either way this is great news.

If you want to clone the repository you need to have Git Large File Storage installed.

A quick look suggests that the link "Diagnostic Software" is new compared to what we have observed before.
It points to a github repository. I found dbc files for the PEM and ESS in one directory and diagnostic software in another. The latter appears also to contain all the firmware. Some of the tools are written in Perl and hence source code. I didn't find source code for the firmware. Hopefully more will follow, but either way this is great news.

If you want to clone the repository you need to have Git Large File Storage installed.
Anything on battery design and configuration? Seems that’s what the community needs: someone willing to build batteries.

Glad they finally did this. I think many of us have been suggesting this for years.

Yes, it is great that they did this.

From what I can see, the new stuff now is software for updating firmware, the firmware itself, dbc files (battery and PEM) and a collection of diagnostic tools. They previously published a document on the battery at the same site. There are several battery-related tools in the diagnostic tool box:
1700790563336.png

P.S.: The software runs under Linux on a VMware virtual machine running under Linux or MS Windows. The documentation shows installation on MS-Windows using VMware Workstation 16 Player. I didn't succeed installing version 16 on my laptop running Ubuntu, but version 17 worked after I had installed some certificates related to secure boot.

Last edited:
No it is not the same as the GPS-corruption cable.

You need to connect the PC to the can-bus no 4. The published Tesla documentation specifies that one should use a PCAN-USB adapter (Tesla part no 1016990-00-A) and a 4-way breakout cable for the diagnostic port (Tesla part no. 1013716-00-A). I don't think the latter is critical. Any cable that interfaces can bus no 4 on the diagnostic port to the CAN-adapter should work. As an alternative one could even use the OBD-II connector with an appropriate cable.

I wonder myself how critical the choice of can-bus adapter is, but my suspicion is that the software relies on features of this particular adapter (from PEAK-System). In principle a lot of different hardware could do the job of exposing the CAN bus to the PC, but it is a matter of software interface I think. My preferred solution would be to use the OVMS and connect over Wifi.

I am sure there are people on this forum who have experience this diagnostic toolbox and possibly could comment on hardware options.

No it is not the same as the GPS-corruption cable.

You need to connect the PC to the can-bus no 4. The published Tesla documentation specifies that one should use a PCAN-USB adapter (Tesla part no 1016990-00-A) and a 4-way breakout cable for the diagnostic port (Tesla part no. 1013716-00-A). I don't think the latter is critical. Any cable that interfaces can bus no 4 on the diagnostic port to the CAN-adapter should work. As an alternative one could even use the OBD-II connector with an appropriate cable.

I wonder myself how critical the choice of can-bus adapter is, but my suspicion is that the software relies on features of this particular adapter (from PEAK-System). In principle a lot of different hardware could do the job of exposing the CAN bus to the PC, but it is a matter of software interface I think. My preferred solution would be to use the OVMS and connect over Wifi.

I am sure there are people on this forum who have experience this diagnostic toolbox and possibly could comment on hardware options.
Using OVMS and connecting via Wi-Fi would be brilliant. Paging @markwj, do you think newer version of OVMS can make use of this new Tesla data dump?

Yes, it is great that they did this.

From what I can see, the new stuff now is software for updating firmware, the firmware itself, dbc files (battery and PEM) and a collection of diagnostic tools. They previously published a document on the battery at the same site. There are several battery-related tools in the diagnostic tool box:
View attachment 993395

P.S.: The software runs under Linux on a VMware virtual machine running under Linux or MS Windows. The documentation shows installation on MS-Windows using VMware Workstation 16 Player. I didn't succeed installing version 16 on my laptop running Ubuntu, but version 17 worked after I had installed some certificates related to secure boot.
Is this the same software Tesla service shops, Gruber and Medlock use to support our Roadsters?

One would have to assume Gruber and Medlock have had this diagnostic software for sometime....perhaps not as up to date as this latest release.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one thing missing and vital are details on the PEM. Since it was sourced from a Taiwanese supplier, I can imagine it's their proprietary property and they are not willing to divulge