Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla officially trying to upsell M3 to MS 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is classic marketing 101 though. Keep your most loyal fans engaged in all your latest products, it's like when Apple releases their next wave of ground-breaking electronics, they notify their most ardent fans first because a certain percentage of your clients will ALWAYS want to have the latest model. They get addicted to it! I image their are one or eight-thousand of those kinds of folks in the Tesla universe that are members of this very forum. ;) Admit it guys, which of you MUST have the latest and greatest that Tesla has to offer?!
I admit it.

Seems obvious that is what they want to do but I didn't think they would be so forward about it....

I wonder if Tesla feels there are too many Model 3 reservations and this is one way to reduce them? Just a guess.

This captures some customers to offset those that will get frustrated and drop out, when Model 3 deliveries are appallingly late and fewer in number than EM's prediction.

Reactions: alseTrick
I'm guessing it was targeted at, wait for it.....wait for it....California residents. Like everything else. Hey Tesla, people further east have money too?
Hmmmm. Great observation. I agree Tesla. People east of California have money too, Maybe they can't get new Model S's this far east (Chicago).

I suppose I could just buy the new Model S if I really wanted to. I suppose I don't need an invitation from Tesla to buy one.

The best thing about getting a Model S before the Model 3 becomes available? You get to use the supercharger network before it's absolutely clogged.

To me it made all the sense in the world to come out with a cheaper one.

The more pre-orders for the Model 3 that they can switch over to the Model S the better.

Honestly if I was still sitting on the fence this would have pushed me over. It gives a buyer pretty much all the benefits of the 75/75D while costing $8500 less. It won't take any longer to charge to X number of miles than it does in a 75D. As long as X is within the capabilities of the software limit.

It's a good deal. Not as good of a deal as a Model 3, but that's years away.

I you taking the bait for Model S 60 or waiting for M3
There are no superchargers within driving distance of even a 90D of me, or even 100D. No superchargers, no road trips. I also am not willing to fork over the what is it, $1500 for a ranger visit if I need an emergency visit.

I'm not like some of my fellow Saskatchewanians who are willing to take a 2 day drive to Calgary, a trip which would normally take 6 or 7 hours.

There are no superchargers within driving distance of even a 90D of me, or even 100D. No superchargers, no road trips. I also am not willing to fork over the what is it, $1500 for a ranger visit if I need an emergency visit. I'm not like some of my fellow Saskatchewanians who are willing to take a 2 day drive to Calgary, a trip which would normally take 6 or 7 hours.
:cool:

Yes, supercharging is known to come in at around $2K.
It doesn't necessarily
true. Wow. you have done a lot of posting.
my point being its not because it used to be $2k for the model s that it will be $2k or less for the 3. I would argue that the average user of the model 3 is far more likely to abuse superchargers (less likely to live in a house, no 220v option, younger etc) than the average model s user. Also there will be so many model3s.

Therefore when comparing the S to the 3 I would tend to use a higher price point than $2k for supercharging.

I would argue that the average user of the model 3 is far more likely to abuse superchargers (less likely to live in a house, no 220v option, younger etc) than the average model s user. Also there will be so many model3s.

Oh, so all of us Model 3 buyers are poor, young, supercharger abusers? I know that is what you mean. All of us poor folk are gonna take your supercharger stalls.

Last edited:
Oh, so all of us Model 3 buyers are poor, young, supercharger abusers? I know that is what you mean. All of us poor folk are gonna take your supercharger stalls.

I view it more as a growing pains problem. Where it's going to take awhile to scale to all the new Model 3 buyers as rapidly as they sell cars.

I would also argue that Model 3 buyers will likely be less abusive since I predict that they'll have to pay per charge. So they really won't be able to abuse it even if they wanted to.

• Disagree
Reactions: hockeythug

I agree with the sarcasm. Some of the cheapest people I know are also the richest people I know. Some of the most generous and considerate people I know don't have a lot of money. Please let's not make this issue a class issue.

The problem with the Model 3 and Supercharging (if any) has nothing to do with rich vs. poor (or less rich) but only with the fact that with a ton more Teslas on the road there will be more people at the Superchargers and more people, rich and less rich, who may not consider that there's anything wrong with local Supercharging, with an available home charger, simply to save a buck.

There is an optional tow hitch available.

There is a subtle but significant difference between "to make Tesla offer an optional tow hitch" and your "optional tow hitch", which I presume is some aftermarket product (that one cannot configure on the Tesla web-site).

In some countries only trivial changes to the vehicle are allowed after the regulatory body has examined and OK'ed that type of vehicle.

Otherwise the car will not pass the regulator's recurring inspection (and your insurance will not cover your loss when your trailer falls off and your Arabian stallion must be carted off to the soap factory).

So the tow hitch really has to (optionally) be offered by Tesla.

Hence the petition.

PS. On the topic of permission: without asking, many non-native English speaking people have decided to use the English language for their communication. So from use of English language one cannot deduce that the relevant locale is for example the USA.

So in about 2-3 pages another thread turned in to supercharger debate where all the model 3 owners will ruin the world. At times I wonder if the model S owners do anything else expect sit at superchargers since there is absolutely no way that model 3 owners will do anything else but block access to those chargers. And it is also completely unfathomable that some model 3 owners might have other charging options. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
So in about 2-3 pages another thread turned in to supercharger debate where all the model 3 owners will ruin the world. At times I wonder if the model S owners do anything else expect sit at superchargers since there is absolutely no way that model 3 owners will do anything else but block access to those chargers. And it is also completely unfathomable that some model 3 owners might have other charging options. :rolleyes:

The heart of the fear is about scalability. Will the network and alternatives scale in time for such a massive increase in supercharger capable cars? We don't really know. Some might be fearful (as I am), and some might be hopeful. There was also fear of overcrowding due to the Model X, but that hasn't really materialized yet due to the production delays the Model X has experienced.

What's absolutely key is for the growth rate to be manageable. The success of the new Model S 60 along with an increase in the Model X production should help the growth rate of the supercharge network and alternatives.

Right now it's really too soon to worry too much about what will happen when the Model 3 is released. There is huge growth in electrical vehicles and infrastructure going on right now. So things could look very different by 2018-2019

Last edited:
The problem with the Model 3 and Supercharging (if any) has nothing to do with rich vs. poor (or less rich) but only with the fact that with a ton more Teslas on the road there will be more people at the Superchargers and more people, rich and less rich, who may not consider that there's anything wrong with local Supercharging, with an available home charger, simply to save a buck.

How can people even have an argument about someone trying to save a buck when we don't even know how Model 3 owners will pay for Supercharging? People are really getting carried away with fear regarding local supercharging. We also know there have been tons of studies that suggest the rich are more likely to cheat. So it's most definitely not a rich vs. semi-rich issue.

I personally feel as if the whole local supercharging fear is overblown, and tends to overshadow the bigger problem of supercharger availability during the weekends and during holidays. Then you have to factor in the semi-autonomous driving capabilities of the Model 3. Those are going to be higher than the current capabilities of the Model S/X. So that's going to encourage people to go on trips with them.