Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tracked the time of year the eMMC failures are occurring? It seems like there have been more complaints recently during the hot summer, we all know computers don't like heat. Chips that are "high" in terms of write cycles might be more likely to die prematurely when the car is at 100F rather than 40F.

My SC - who won't give me an estimate despite scheduling appt and asking in the comments, not showing up because they didn't give me an estimate and talking to a person twice last week and requesting one.
And they said, because I didn't have a black screen, they would charge me the diagnostic fee.
So - yeah - even when expectations are lowered, they still disappoint.
2015 with 83k miles.
That being said, I would probably be happy if I can get out the door for under $600 (daughter + LTE) even if it is 2 hours labor and $50 in electronics....
I wonder how many people pile on to the NHTSA complaints just because Tesla's customer service is so bad and they are mad about it?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
My SC - who won't give me an estimate despite scheduling appt and asking in the comments, not showing up because they didn't give me an estimate and talking to a person twice last week and requesting one.
And they said, because I didn't have a black screen, they would charge me the diagnostic fee.
2015 with 83k miles.
That being said, I would probably be happy if I can get out the door for under $600 (daughter + LTE) even if it is 2 hours labor and $50 in electronics....
I wonder how many people pile on to the NHTSA complaints just because Tesla's customer service is so bad and they are mad about it?

I was already expecting problems, don't know how much lower I can go. I do expect they won't damage or break the car like last time. If so, time for 3rd party.

I have booked my car (2015 70D) in for the Tegra daughter board replacement and sent Tesla pics of my screen corrupted. They called me to discuss the options and said they will forward detailed quotes shortly. Ball park costs quoted were £320 for the new daughter board, £1000 for a ‘new’ MCU1 screen (which would include LTE as I’m still on 3G) or £2400 for the MCU2 option. At this stage, they said the MCU2 option would not include the tuner for FM/DAB but that would be additional cost - ‘...but we don’t have a price for that just yet’.

I asked about doing the LTE upgrade at the same time as the daughter board, since they will have the screen out anyway and was told that would be around £400 additional cost and would be the same cost even if it was done as a one off at some point in the future. The service agent agreed that was a bit steep as I would in effect be paying twice for the same labour but said there was nothing he could do about it. He also suggested I might want to wait for a 5G upgrade anyway as they will probably be doing that in the foreseeable future.

Car booked in for 1st Oct so I’ll see what the estimates look like but suspect it will be the cheapest one I go for.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
2015 with 83k miles.
I wonder if you dismantled your dash before dropping it off... to the point where they just unplug the MCU... and tell them not to do anything to re-assemble except plug the MCU back in, what would the labor be?

I wonder if you dismantled your dash before dropping it off... to the point where they just unplug the MCU... and tell them not to do anything to re-assemble except plug the MCU back in, what would the labor be?

I wish that were possible, I could avoid them damaging the trim and scratching the wheel like they did last time. I doubt they will accept or release the car in an unassembled state.

Does anybody know the estimated time it takes for the tegra board to arrive once ordered? I’m going on about a month and losing confidence this will arrive anytime soon.
Mine took about a week after they ordered it to receive it at the service center. Assuming that the service center orders it in advance of your appointment. Mine knew I was having issues, and had looked at mine about a month and a half before.

When filling out the service appointment give as much detail as you can, will often prompt them to order the piece, and then you'll get updates as they order and get it in to the service center. I set my appt 2 weeks out because I was out of town for work, and it gave plenty of time for the part to arrive.

The service team at Columbus, OH has been pretty on-top of it when it comes to repairs/issues at least in my opinion. They communicated a lot in advance to make sure they'd be able to get issue resolved quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
It probably is a density thing. Mine used to be good and now is closer to bad than good but not as bad as CA.
My local density is pretty high. Sort of like political party affiliation, statewide numbers don't tell the whole story.
I think 10% of the cars on my block are Teslas. Drove home yesterday with 3 of us in a row - all white - 3,Y, S.
But I am sure, parts of CA are way more dense.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yesterday, The SC in Columbus OH installed the daughterboard in my July 2013 Model S. Everything works (except the browser, of course). Service as always was excellent, gave me a new Model 3 as loaner.

What was the part number, please? Had your MCU ever been replaced before? I'm hoping they now have a Tegra board for the early MCUs like mine.