Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not charging after installing solar power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am no longer able to charge my 2018 Tesla Model S 75 D at home. Yesterday, I took the car to my local service center and they confirmed (by using multiple chargers there) that there is no problem with the car’s onboard charger. They sent me home with a mobile charger as well, which I thought might resolve my problem - it didn’t.

For background, I have a professionally installed Gen 3 charger that has worked without any issues for 2 years.

When I plug the charger into the car the charger initially lights up green (on the face of the charger) and it says “STARTING TO CHARGE” (green ring) but within 30 seconds flips to charging “CHARGING STOPPED” and the ring around the charger flips to red and the front of the charger only displays a static blue line (only one). Basically, the exact same process happens now on the mobile charger (regardless of home outlet) minus the display light sequence. Note that the Gen 3 is 240v and the mobile charger I used a normal 120v plug.

Now, I have recently made a change in my house which may have happened at the same time as this issue (I have been traveling so it’s hard to say exactly) - I switched to solar power in my house. The solar was professionally installed by a local provider who was fully aware of the Tesla charger and need (plus I live in an area with a lot of Teslas so my needs are not unique). This may be a red herring, but I’m running out of ideas.

I plan to initially contact my solar installer and, if that fails, the firm that installed my home charger.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

If this is the wrong place for this question and there’s a better place, I would kindly appreciate your guidance.

It’s not clear how the installation of solar power would affect your ability to charge but it’s definitely worth checking out given the timing of the two. A few questions to help clarify your setup:
1) From what you’ve said, it appears the circuits in your main panel that provide power to your wall connector and mobile charger are not flipping off when you attempt to charge, correct?
2) When they installed your solar power, did they install a new main electrical panel, or did they add a sub-panel, or did they change the main service breaker rating (typically between 100A to 200A for residential)?
3) Usually, a new circuit to feed solar power to your house is added to the main electrical panel. The amperage rating of that breaker will depend on how much power your solar panels provide. What is the amp rating of the solar power breaker relative to your main service breaker rating?
4) When you have the charging issues, are any other high-power items also being used in the house (e.g. electric oven, electric dryer, HVAC, …)?