Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla multi-phone bluetooth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question, but three of our current cars do this easily...a BMW, Audi, and Subaru. They can connect via bluetooth with several phones and calls can come in or be placed with any of them via the iDrive, MMI, or HU screen. I assume the Tesla will be similar and surprised if this basic capability is missing. Is this to what you are referring?

Reactions: tracksyde
I think that it is important to note that just because the MS and MX don't support it doesn't mean the M3 won't. I say this because we know that the M3 supports Bluetooth LE to connect to your phone so that your phone can act as a key. Bluetooth LE has the ability to connect to multiple phones at once.
With that being said, Tesla surely has really tight encryption on their Bluetooth protocol since the App/Phone is acting as the main 'key' for the car. So I would say even if it isn't like that today, doesn't mean they can't enable multiple phone support with an update to he M3. And it is possible that the M3 supports that out of the gate. But we will have to wait until October when the car starts getting in the hands of the general public.

TLDR: The M3 has Bluetooth LE that technically supports multiple devices but it depends on how the developers program the Blutooth in the M3. Should only be limited by software and not the hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK
I think that it is important to note that just because the MS and MX don't support it doesn't mean the M3 won't. I say this because we know that the M3 supports Bluetooth LE to connect to your phone so that your phone can act as a key. Bluetooth LE has the ability to connect to multiple phones at once.
With that being said, Tesla surely has really tight encryption on their Bluetooth protocol since the App/Phone is acting as the main 'key' for the car. So I would say even if it isn't like that today, doesn't mean they can't enable multiple phone support with an update to he M3. And it is possible that the M3 supports that out of the gate. But we will have to wait until October when the car starts getting in the hands of the general public.

TLDR: The M3 has Bluetooth LE that technically supports multiple devices but it depends on how the developers program the Blutooth in the M3. Should only be limited by software and not the hardware.
It would make sense for the M3 to support this. For example if my GF wanted to use the car, she should be able to set up a profile and use her phone.

It would make sense for the M3 to support this. For example if my GF wanted to use the car, she should be able to set up a profile and use her phone.

That works today in the Model S/X. The question is, if both of you are in the car together will a call on either of your phones ring be able to be picked up by the car (what happens if you're talking on one phone and the other rings?). In the Model S you choose which phone is the driver's phone and only that one can be picked up using the steering wheel control.

It's easy to switch anyway. Do any cars support more than one phone connected at a time? Does the protocol even support it?

The protocol supports multiple devices but it's cheaper to build a master than only pairs with one device at a time.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia
"A master BR/EDR Bluetooth device can communicate with a maximum of seven devices in a piconet (an ad-hoc computer network using Bluetooth technology), though not all devices reach this maximum."

In the vehicles I have experience with (2006 Acura, 2014 Toyota, 2016 Lexus), you can pair multiple phones but only one can be connected. I’m not 100% sure how they decide which one connects, but it doesn’t appear to have a “master” that always connects if it’s available. When my wife and I ride together it’s somewhat of a crap shoot which phone will get connected. This is just from casual observation, no in depth testing has been done.