Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range Only Hits 220 miles in Real World Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it doesn't seem to pass the basic sniff test. The Y has been out for nearly a year and people have been performing range tests ever since (see below for an example). Seems like they need to publish bad info and numbers to get clicks now.

Tesla Model Y 70 MPH Highway Range Test: How Far Did It Go?
They managed to drive 253 miles with an efficiency rate of 283 Wh/mi.

+5 mph and if there was a 10 mph wind it could easily bump 250 miles down to 220. To me this YouTube video actually adds evidence to the CD article.

220 miles is about what I get on my 3 when driving 80mph.

I expect the Model Y to do 10-20 miles better. Driving between 70-75 my efficiency was ~270 wh/mi. That's pretty darn good for a car with 255 sized tires. My 2018 Model 3 achieves similar wh/mi, but on 235 tires.

Reactions: pt19713
I wonder what “heavy” wind is to them. For an electric car even a 10 mph wind could be considerably heavier energy usage. Consider driving 85 mph vs 75; I would consider 220 miles at 85 mph pretty good in the Y....

that's what I've been seeing on my couple of longer trips.....any wind and driving 85'ish I try and plan for 2 to 1 and then have a 20% buffer so I don't get so worried. Plus the charging gets really slow as you get to ~90%.

In addition, they measured the kWh needed to fill the battery to determine range. To get true range you need to measure the total kWh used. Measuring the amount needed to fill introduces a variable as to the efficiency of the charging system. It takes more than 1kWh of juice to get 1 kWh out due to the inefficiencies of charging. Likewise it takes more than 100kWh of electricity to fully charge a 100kWh battery from full to empty.

Same with refining crude oil. It takes more than one barrel of crude oil to get one barrel of refined products. Some loss is expected within the process. Also far less than one barrel of gasoline can be extracted from barrel of crude.

Cars aren’t sold by advertising barrels or crude per mile. If there’s an inefficiency associated with "recharging" an electric car - one that’s not present for an ICE auto - then so be it. Electric cars are better - but don’t make excuses where they’re not needed.

And - cars aren’t sold with a "barrel of crude" per mile. It’s mpg at the car. If it took 20 gallons at the pump to result in 25 gallons in the tank - I am reasonably certain that would be part of the equation.

last - who in California can drive 55 and not get run over? On the 5, 99, 80, 405, or the 10? Yikes!

Yes, I agree. If the Tesla was driven in the ID.4 conditions, it would have been even worse range
No one really knows. Most of the magazine publications I've read show well below what the rest of us are getting. Read any the posts on Lifetime Y efficiency and you'll typically get 260-280 wh/mi, with a few outliers at 250, 290-300+ for the lead footed folks.

My numbers are in no way an indicator but I'm getting 260 wh/mi since December for my winter/cold temp efficiency. On long trips (100+ miles) with windy conditions, I'm getting 270 wh/mi. Even my winter efficiency is well above the C&D 341 wh/mi efficiency in 70 degree temps.

Yeah. I drive faster than average and it really makes me wonder where they're getting their numbers from. Whatever they're doing is completely artificial and not anything like the driving I've been doing in the Bay Area (aka Tesla central).

- 2020 MY LR AWD EPA/Monroney stats: 121 MPGe, 28 kWh/100 mi (= 280 Wh/mi), 316 mi range
- My real-world stats @ 5k miles: 257 Wh/mi

MY_5K_efficiency.jpg

No one really knows. Most of the magazine publications I've read show well below what the rest of us are getting. Read any the posts on Lifetime Y efficiency and you'll typically get 260-280 wh/mi, with a few outliers at 250, 290-300+ for the lead footed folks.

My numbers are in no way an indicator but I'm getting 260 wh/mi since December for my winter/cold temp efficiency. On long trips (100+ miles) with windy conditions, I'm getting 270 wh/mi. Even my winter efficiency is well above the C&D 341 wh/mi efficiency in 70 degree temps.

I get that. As the article overstates Tesla’s relative range to ID.4, what specifically in the article is click bait?

What part of a article makes you want to click on it and read it? Obviously, the body of the article can't be clickbait because you don't read the body of the article and then click on it, so that leaves just one thing...I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to be able to put 2+2 together and think critically.

The answer is:

The title? Author doesn't even go into a short detail to explain what the id4 range would be in better temps.

Last edited:
It's critical of Teslas. That's all it takes these days.

The problem is, the Tesla according to C&D gets more range but the problem is that they were tested in different temps, days, and roads which makes the results worthless and mean absolutely nothing. For all we know the ID.4 could do better and the Model Y could do worse but we won't know because nobody can hold publications accountable for giving people bad info. It's not hard to say 'Hey, the ID.4 on (insert day) got (insert miles) and the temps were (insert temp) and we drove (insert road). Do the same thing for the Model Y and make sure the reader knows that a comparison can't be made because the tests were done in different temps on different days. I'm surprised some of these publications are still around to be honest with the inaccurate information that is being provided to people.

This test was in no way scientific and the results mean nada, no matter who got more mileage.

Make science matter again.

Last edited:
Cars aren’t sold by advertising barrels or crude per mile. If there’s an inefficiency associated with "recharging" an electric car - one that’s not present for an ICE auto - then so be it. Electric cars are better - but don’t make excuses where they’re not needed.

And - cars aren’t sold with a "barrel of crude" per mile. It’s mpg at the car. If it took 20 gallons at the pump to result in 25 gallons in the tank - I am reasonably certain that would be part of the equation.

last - who in California can drive 55 and not get run over? On the 5, 99, 80, 405, or the 10? Yikes!

I was in FL and I was going about 80 and cars were passing me like I was standing still.

Yeah. I drive faster than average and it really makes me wonder where they're getting their numbers from. Whatever they're doing is completely artificial and not anything like the driving I've been doing in the Bay Area (aka Tesla central).

- 2020 MY LR AWD EPA/Monroney stats: 121 MPGe, 28 kWh/100 mi (= 280 Wh/mi), 316 mi range
- My real-world stats @ 5k miles: 257 Wh/mi

View attachment 641801
Is that all highway? The CD test is a 75mph highway loop. There isn’t stop and go traffic, no stop signs ti regen up to, no low speed driving. The test is meant to demonstrate your range while doing a road trip on interstates. (Or I would imagine highway fuel economy with ICE vehicles)

It's critical of Teslas. That's all it takes these days.
Actually, it’s objective
What part of a article makes you want to click on it and read it? Obviously, the body of the article can't be clickbait because you don't read the body of the article and then click on it, so that leaves just one thing...I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to be able to put 2+2 together and think critically.

The answer is:
Then pretty much most articles on any topic are click bait