Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X in Aus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get that figure from?

Jump on the Australian configurator and spec a P90D with all the option boxes ticked. In Victoria you will have an OTR price of $275k, which is a massive jump up from my 3 month old P85D with all the options which was $207k OTR.

In the USA, the Model X is at least $5k US more expensive than the equivalent Model S. That is about $7k Australian at current exchange rates which brings it to $282k, then add or ridiculous import duty, LCT, GST and Stamp Duty and you are within a whisker of $300k Australian OTR in Victoria.

Apparently Australia is only getting the P90D version of the Model X (at least initially) so even the most basic stripped spec with no options will start at about $220k Australian OTR based on the equivalent Model S price here. Hands up who bought a Model S with no options.........anyone ? I reckon you won't get a Model X out the door for less than $250k OTR with a couple of mandatory options and the full Monty will be knocking on the door of $300k.

As I said way, way ​too much money for what it is.

Apparently Australia is only getting the P90D version of the Model X (at least initially) so even the most basic stripped spec with no options will start at about $220k Australian OTR based on the equivalent Model S price here. Hands up who bought a Model S with no options.........anyone ? I reckon you won't get a Model X out the door for less than $250k OTR with a couple of mandatory options and the full Monty will be knocking on the door of $300k.

I'm would be happy with a model x 70D which is significantly less expensive. I don't need ludicrous acceleration. Why wouldn't they ship these?

Jump on the Australian configurator and spec a P90D with all the option boxes ticked. In Victoria you will have an OTR price of $275k, which is a massive jump up from my 3 month old P85D with all the options which was $207k OTR.

In the USA, the Model X is at least $5k US more expensive than the equivalent Model S. That is about $7k Australian at current exchange rates which brings it to $282k, then add or ridiculous import duty, LCT, GST and Stamp Duty and you are within a whisker of $300k Australian OTR in Victoria.

That price of $275K includes all taxes and duties, $282K for the highest spec Aussie Model X would be a fair estimate.
Is it overpriced? I think the poor Aussie dollar has pushed it past a reasonable price but then I read a recent review of a Porsche Cayenne turbo, $284K, claimed to be the world's fastest SUV (top speed) the journalist was less than impressed with the gearbox changes ( not something a model X owner has to worry about).

They will of course release a 70D and 85D, any one saying otherwise is trolling...even in the states only the P90D is available at present.

I spoke to my SC and they said that indeed the X70D will be on offer in Australia.

-ECIT

Yes, as I said initially you will only be able to buy the P90D as Tesla already announced. No doubt the rest of the model range will follow once they have milked the initial rush of orders.

- - - Updated - - -

That price of $275K includes all taxes and duties, $282K for the highest spec Aussie Model X would be a fair estimate.
Is it overpriced? I think the poor Aussie dollar has pushed it past a reasonable price but then I read a recent review of a Porsche Cayenne turbo, $284K, claimed to be the world's fastest SUV (top speed) the journalist was less than impressed with the gearbox changes ( not something a model X owner has to worry about).

I couldn't edit my post once it was made; but what I meant was you had to add our range of taxes to the extra $7k the Model X commands rather than the $275k as the post read. That puts the price somewhere in the $290k's. I suppose I am the target market at that price point as I have a current model Range Rover Autobiography which I use as the family transport/School runs a lot of the time. Would I buy a Model X over it now that I have a few months of familiarity with my Model S? In all honesty, no I wouldn't. The RR has a larger range of capabilities and the standard of luxury is on a whole new level. The Model X is targeted at the "soccer mums" in its home market and unfortunately with our taxes the car is just too expensive here.

Actually, you indicated that Australia is only getting a 90D (at least initially, your words) however that whilst not technically incorrect is misleading.... The whole world is only, at least initially, getting the 90D's.....

Incidentally I have a Range Rover also (my wife's, about 6 months old) and I agree, as do the Tesla guys I've chatted to, that the quality finish is a number of steps above my Model S....However any day of the week I much prefer to be driving my Tesla....ICE vehicles just suck in comparison to drive.

-ECIT

Last edited:
Ok. But lets say it's the 90D with autopilot and the high fidelity pack then you're looking at about $187k cash. That's a very sweet set up and a long way short of $300k. There's $30k worth of stamp duty and LCT in that too. By the time we get the X here (maybe late 2016) all 3 model versions will be on the line so it's doubtful if only the p90D will be available first up. Now if only we could get the stamp duty and LCT reduced further and perhaps throw in an incentive for EV's we would have a much more affordable and popular vehicle.

Ok. But lets say it's the 90D with autopilot and the high fidelity pack then you're looking at about $187k cash. That's a very sweet set up and a long way short of $300k. There's $30k worth of stamp duty and LCT in that too. By the time we get the X here (maybe late 2016) all 3 model versions will be on the line so it's doubtful if only the p90D will be available first up. Now if only we could get the stamp duty and LCT reduced further and perhaps throw in an incentive for EV's we would have a much more affordable and popular vehicle.

The lower models may well be on the production line by the time they arrive here; but you can guarantee that we will only be able to buy the P90D first up. Naturally Tesla wants to maximise their profits as much as possible first up and who can blame them.

If you are prepared to wait for at least 6 months after the Australian Model X, then you will have a choice of Models available to suit various needs and budgets. That may well be
18 months to 2 years away from now though.

No argument from me on the local LCT ripoff and lack of incentives for electric vehicles in Australia. We get raped, no 2 ways about it.

Actually, you indicated that Australia is only getting a 90D (at least initially, your words) however that whilst not technically incorrect is misleading.... The whole world is only, at least initially, getting the 90D's.....

Incidentally I have a Range Rover also (my wife's, about 6 months old) and I agree, as do the Tesla guys I've chatted to, that the quality finish is a number of steps above my Model S....However any day of the week I much prefer to be driving my Tesla....ICE vehicles just suck in comparison to drive.

-ECIT

A bit pedantic there; but my intention was not to mislead. Clearly "initially" means that this will be the only choice when the Model X is released and yes, this is indeed the case for all markets.

I love driving my P85D as well and have clocked up 5000km in the 3 months that we have had it. The quality of finish on current cars is a lot better than it was when I first test drove one about 14 months ago. With the premium seats and interior I would say that the Model S is close to the equivalent of what a comparable Mercedes/BMW/Audi offers and close to the Range Rover Sport models. However it is definitely a step down from the best of the English cars at that $290k ish price point, the big Range Rover Autobiography, top Jags etc.

I agree that the Model S makes any ICE vehicle seem antiquated, particularly in the NVH and technology departments. Perhaps the reason I would take my Range Rover in preference is that I spend a lot of time commuting every day and the Range Rover is just a much nicer place to spend boring down time in. The premium sound system in the model S is at best very average and at worst downright painful to listen to. The optional sound system in the Range Rover is just epic :p Stuff like that makes a big difference when you spend 2 hours + a day in your car. Maybe that colours my opinion a bit.

The lower models may well be on the production line by the time they arrive here; but you can guarantee that we will only be able to buy the P90D first up. Naturally Tesla wants to maximise their profits as much as possible first up and who can blame them.

If you are prepared to wait for at least 6 months after the Australian Model X, then you will have a choice of Models available to suit various needs and budgets. That may well be
18 months to 2 years away from now though.

No argument from me on the local LCT ripoff and lack of incentives for electric vehicles in Australia. We get raped, no 2 ways about it.

I'm not convinced that by late 2016 there will be enough p90d MX orders backed up in oz to justify holding out selling the 90d. It makes sense for them to be focusing on the p90d now because they have plenty of orders to get through. Anyway we will see. Perhaps between now and then we will see a shift in incentives to help make the choice between a traditional Luxuty guzzler and a Tesla a no brainier.