Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S RHD test drives in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Now at the third location, Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong in Hong Kong, here's another view of a test drive:

(The impatient MTV generation can go straight to 0:25 in the video, as for the rest of us, just click PLAY, sit back and enjoy)

HK Taxis might seem to go fast, but that is because these LPG powered Toyotas have a digital accelerator pedal: It's either 1 - on or 0 - off. So eventually, after the light is green, they do get up to speed at times.

The video shows, though, that it does .... take ... a .... while. I guess everything is relative.

This is a P85+ btw, one of TM Hong Kongs 4 test/demo P85+ model S cars.

To see more pictures from the various RHD test drives in Hong Kong, see here: RHD test drives in May 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
That just never gets old.
Well, for Hong Kong, it's actual genuine news! The only model S' on the streets of Hong Kong, are the four TM test vehicles. I would love to have had microphones in those cars behind, to hear some of the "ooooooooh ?" and "What the .... ?" comments.As the deliveries hopefully start in just over a month here, there will be many more cars to fill the streets. Maybe Tesla should make a leaflet "How to drive your Model S in order NOT to endanger yourself". I remember reading about owners who mentioned they wait just a half second before they start from green - because they are so fast into the intersection, they could hit someone running a red light.I also predict there will be situations where other cars will change lanes and not realise there is a car there (a lot of lane changing happens by just using mirrors, if at all)

Well, for Hong Kong, it's actual genuine news! The only model S' on the streets of Hong Kong, are the four TM test vehicles. I would love to have had microphones in those cars behind, to hear some of the "ooooooooh ?" and "What the .... ?" comments.As the deliveries hopefully start in just over a month here, there will be many more cars to fill the streets. Maybe Tesla should make a leaflet "How to drive your Model S in order NOT to endanger yourself". I remember reading about owners who mentioned they wait just a half second before they start from green - because they are so fast into the intersection, they could hit someone running a red light.I also predict there will be situations where other cars will change lanes and not realise there is a car there (a lot of lane changing happens by just using mirrors, if at all)

I don't get this with the roadster. It looks fast, and different, so when I launch from a green light I guess people kind of expect it. I also don't get many people cutting in front. Seems to be that other drivers are more concerned about what I am going to do. Being low-down, a given speed feels faster in a roadster than in a sedan. 3+ years, and not a scratch (touch wood).

But, other drivers are not going to expect this kind of performance from a large 4 door sedan.

If you have right turns on a red light in Hong Kong, watch out for the people who try to slip in a right turn after the light changes. They're not aware of how fast you can accelerate. There have been crashes because of this.

If you have right turns on a red light in Hong Kong, watch out for the people who try to slip in a right turn after the light changes. They're not aware of how fast you can accelerate. There have been crashes because of this.

No right turns on red light here - although they would be left turns, as we drive on the correct side :tongue:

Off topic, but also: No parking on double yellow line. No parking on single yellow lines. No parking where there are no yellow lines. No parking except where explicitly marked as permitted in times permitted (and there are precious few of those). Unless you are a truck, in which case you park wherever the hell you like :cursing:

No right turns on red light here - although they would be left turns, as we drive on the correct side :tongue:

D'oh. Right drive always confuses the heck outta me, so I'm decreeing that left drive is correct.

Off topic, but also: No parking on double yellow line. No parking on single yellow lines. No parking where there are no yellow lines. No parking except where explicitly marked as permitted in times permitted (and there are precious few of those). Unless you are a truck, in which case you park wherever the hell you like :cursing:

LOL. No parking if you do, no parking if you don't.