Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope we start getting some more details / predelivery contact from Tesla this week. I knew the promise of last week was too good to be true.

The fact that the "embargo" date on the press cars is August 5th makes me even less hopeful for any sort of meaningful updates before then.

hmm - I watched a review video yesterday and the guy could go directly from Drive to Reverse whilst moving,below a certain speed.

I can see why you would want to do that when maneuvering but I'm worried I am going to do that instead of indicate... I guess most times i'll be above the speed limit and hopefully should notice before i move but serious potential for mistakes..
I've done this a few times, Not to fear, it beeps and throws you in neutral, but if you are going above 30kmph it just beeps. Remember there is no gearbox to blow up.

The fact that the "embargo" date on the press cars is August 5th makes me even less hopeful for any sort of meaningful updates before then.
Just to add one more “meaningless” update, apparently the Tesla person at yesterday’s CarAdvice event said that they were aiming for deliveries from 20 August.
I agree though, some sort of official word is needed. Some of us have cars to sell!

hmm - I watched a review video yesterday and the guy could go directly from Drive to Reverse whilst moving,below a certain speed.

I can see why you would want to do that when maneuvering but I'm worried I am going to do that instead of indicate... I guess most times i'll be above the speed limit and hopefully should notice before i move but serious potential for mistakes..

I can't believe you all haven't read the manual yet :)
"Reverse:
Push the lever all the way up and release. You
can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is
stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).
If moving less than 1 mph (1.6 km/h), you must
press the brake."

If you've indicated as early as you should coming to a corner it shouldn't matter if you hit the wrong stalk. If you do it only once almost stopped then you could go into reverse, but it should be obvious.

Reactions: jontyh
I can't believe you all haven't read the manual yet :)
"Reverse:
Push the lever all the way up and release. You
can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is
stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).
If moving less than 1 mph (1.6 km/h), you must
press the brake."

If you've indicated as early as you should coming to a corner it shouldn't matter if you hit the wrong stalk. If you do it only once almost stopped then you could go into reverse, but it should be obvious.
And for those of you who haven't read the manual yet (I'm about halfway through) - here's a link! https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Reactions: Vedaprime
Just to add one more “meaningless” update, apparently the Tesla person at yesterday’s CarAdvice event said that they were aiming for deliveries from 20 August.
I agree though, some sort of official word is needed. Some of us have cars to sell!
If we are to believe the local line from Tesla that they know as much as we do, they will come to work one morning to a delivery centre full of shiny new cars detailed and ready for owners and exclaim, "OMG where did they come from? Who organised this? We had no idea!"
Yeah, right.

Oh - just got off the phone with Tesla (my wife is thinking about changing colours - I wanted to know what that would do to our delivery date). The rep on the phone said they're realistically expecting deliveries to get underway in mid-September (and if we changed colour it would push it back to early-mid October).

Caveat - she did look up my reservation number - we reserved in November 2018, and ordered a blue SR+ on June 9 - so her delivery estimate of mid-September may have been based on my specific case rather than day 1 reservation holders. Not sure!

Still very much up in the air I expect.

Screenshot_20190729-103130_Chrome.jpg

I'm not sure Penrite are getting the best bang for their buck with this ad

Hi. I haven't posted in this thread before but I'm a first day reservation holder and I ordered an SR+ as soon as I could.

I just got off the phone with Pepper Money. They are offering financing at 3.89%, which I think is a pretty good rate. It was an interesting conversation:

1. The person I talked to seems to think that deliveries are still happening in August.

2. She also said that there's about 2000 reservations in total.

Take this information with the appropriate amount of salt. I still think deliveries will start in September, and if I get my car by the end of the quarter I'll be happy.

Who are NZ buyers using for finance? UDC seems to be the recommendation with a 6.95% rate.

Also, random specific question about the car itself. Does anyone know if the indicator does any automatic 3 second or so indication if you just tap the stalk rather than clicking it down? My Toyota does this and its awesome for changing lanes. Now when I drive a car without it I miss it.

Who are NZ buyers using for finance? UDC seems to be the recommendation with a 6.95% rate.

Also, random specific question about the car itself. Does anyone know if the indicator does any automatic 3 second or so indication if you just tap the stalk rather than clicking it down? My Toyota does this and its awesome for changing lanes. Now when I drive a car without it I miss it.

Let me introduce you to my friend, Manual ;)
Screenshot_20190729-132702_OneDrive.jpg

Reactions: jontyh and Dave3333
Let me introduce you to my friend, Manual ;)
Duh and you only just finished telling someone else to check the manual haha! I will download it now.
SFL conductor is on the move again, hopefully to port 80 this time and not just part of the holding pattern. Though I think even if this does turn out to be NZ/Aus-bound, deliveries from it would be in September.
I really hope its August. I took a gamble and sold my car which is being collected on Monday. Was hoping to only be without a car for a few weeks at the worst!

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
Yep 3 flashes if you flick the stalk. I also like that last little wipe that happens after washing the windscreen. (I know many other cars do both these things, so not especially Tesla specific)

On the UMC tail question, will the new 15A tail fit the old Model S UMC? Single phase is fine for me.