Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told that while technically the standards dropped our voltage in Australia from 240v to 230v in reality the utilities haven't really changed anything. I know of people having big issues with high voltages that then mean solar inverters stop feeding in because they are designed for the 230v standard and not 240v, and have a cutoff some % above 230v that which is easily hit when the average voltage is actually 240v. I know people who have had to fight to get the voltage reduced so their solar isn't stopping feeding back to the grid all the time. My power varies between 203v and 250v it seems, but most commonly 240v or more.

That is technically right, however:
"AS61000.3.100 (Steady state voltage limits in public electricity systems). This sets an 8% ‘preferred operating zone’ (between 225 and 244 volts) within the allowable range (between 216 and 253 volts)"
And in QLD at least Gold Coast we appear to have usually 240V or a little over in most cases.

This is Jamboree Heights in Brisbane. The dip late Sunday below 240v was testing out my OpenEVSE at 32A into a Model X.

My PV (and all that meet the standard I think) turns off at 254v.

I'm on single phase.
Screenshot_20190729-202221_Chrome.jpg

I've been told that while technically the standards dropped our voltage in Australia from 240v to 230v in reality the utilities haven't really changed anything.
I thought that in the early 2000s all the generators progressively turned their voltages down to 230 to comply with this. But maybe I misremembered. The allowable range at the property lead-in is 216 to 253V (-6%, +10%).

I've been told that while technically the standards dropped our voltage in Australia from 240v to 230v in reality the utilities haven't really changed anything.

Maybe so, but here's the point: when planning out what you'll be doing with charging your car, it's best to operate on the assumption of 230 volts rather than 240. The reason is, power equals voltage times current. Going with a higher voltage means you're assuming a slightly higher rate of charge, and hence may be assuming a shorter time to top up the battery than is actually the case. If you assume the lower voltage, the rate of charge you're assuming is lower, and hence the time to top up the battery will be erring slightly on the side of caution.

Beyond that, for the purposes of this discussion, it really doesn't matter - whether we're on 230 or 240 volts in actuality isn't particularly significant for most people.

I thought that in the early 2000s all the generators progressively turned their voltages down to 230 to comply with this. But maybe I misremembered. The allowable range at the property lead-in is 216 to 253V (-6%, +10%).

Yes, the tolerances of voltages in Australia are higher at the high end, to allow for generators that are still operating on the old standard. Again, for most practical purposes, it doesn't matter unless you have a problem with the electrical supply at your property. (Or unless you're an electrical geek, in which case, hey, go nuts, I'm not going to judge you. ;) )

QLD is covered by the QLD Electricity Act which prior to the 27/10/2018 had the LV nominal voltage as 240V. See pages 14 and 15 below: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/inforce/current/sl-2006-0200

After that date supposedly QLD is meant to have a nominal voltage in line with AS 60038 which I think is 230V line-to-neutral -6% to +10%? Don’t know if anything actually changed after that date in reality though as 240V is within that range?

Optimistic stab? Your glass is nearly empty but I'm in Perth too ... I don't want to look how far back the Tesla finance SMS's were mentioned here but I only just got one today (reserved day one, ordered day one). I might go on holiday for a few weeks.

you may very well be right. I had exactly the same SMS on Friday last week (also day 1 res/order). I have offered to fly over to Syd/melb to pick it up early, and they said it would only shorten the time by a little as they would be putting it on a truck and doing home delivery.

you may very well be right. I had exactly the same SMS on Friday last week (also day 1 res/order). I have offered to fly over to Syd/melb to pick it up early, and they said it would only shorten the time by a little as they would be putting it on a truck and doing home delivery.
Yes, I am in Perth too and am definitely going on holiday. I have asked Tesla to handover my M3 (ordered day 1) at the airport when I fly back ( as they did for my S100D 2 years ago).

Reactions: jgdc
Imagine the HORROR here if ANCAP had used a RHD with a white interior!
ANCAP didn't use any cars. The data is from EuroNCAP. The crash tests were done in Europe. ANCAP just used the data and "accepted" it for here.

Here's the original test results (note the identical ratings): Official Tesla Model 3 2019 safety rating

And here is the video (hope it doesn't make people too sad):

ANCAP didn't use any cars. The data is from EuroNCAP. The crash tests were done in Europe. ANCAP just used the data and "accepted" it for here.
And yet I can see on the video that at least one Red, one Blue and one White LR RWD Model 3 were destroyed during those tests (if not more) and I really want a LR RWD but Tesla does not want to make one for me, so still sad but hoping they may come around on this...