Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I had wondered if Tesla asked him not to discuss the issue. I know previously he had said he thought it is good to talk about issues that happen but I know Tesla likes to work things out without too much attention.

I want to be clear I have not been asked by Tesla remain quiet. It is my understanding that an engineer was brought into the Service Center to have a more detailed look at my car. There's a tremendous amount of attention on this thread and I just don't want to speculate--or feed any rumors--until they give me something definitive.

Actually, i was mocking everyone but the messenger. The Guy was just looking for some help and passing along vital first hand info. I for one am on edge to know what happened and I want to know the guy got his car back and all is good and I have to Wade through 15 pages of definitions of the word bricked. Just trying to lighten up the thread so the op didn't get discouraged and decide not to share in the future. I for one truly appreciate people sharing this vital into. Could save a very bad day for someone in the future.

I appreciate it and that was my intention of the thread. I'm not discouraged from discussing this at all. I really do see Tesla and the Model 3 as a part of automotive history, so I believe having an honest public record of it will ultimately be for the best.

Last edited:
I want to be clear I have not been asked by Tesla remain quiet. It is my understanding that an engineer was brought into the Service Center to have a more detailed look at my car. There's a tremendous amount of attention on this thread and I just don't want to speculate--or feed any rumors--until they give me something definitive.

I appreciate you keeping the community updated and encourage sharing - I would personally contemplate even sharing of your speculation, clearly marked as such. You seem like a very reasonable person, I doubt it could be anything inflammatory. As even the perception of silence and/or secrecy also feed and breed rumors, as couple of days silence already showed. :) The best thing one can do with a topic like this IMO is over-sharing, from that perspective. When there are first-hand views to the topic, there is less room for third-hand views.

I appreciate you sharing at the level of your comfort @MarkS22 of course, so take this just a thinking out loud, not as any kind of request. IMO many in business and society in general cases have blown up simply because they have been attempted to be handled discreetly, where brutal openness would have actually been best. One may think silence is doing the truth a favor, but I'm not sure that is always the case. Silence leaves the room for someone else to fill in the gaps.

IMO it would do Tesla, as well, overall good to get rid of the reputation of wanting to handle things discreetly and in as much silence as possible. They have a good product, they might be surprised how well the world would take an open approach overall. When is sharing a lot, there's much less room for anyone else to fill in the blanks. Transparency is good.

Reactions: Icer and Bill33525
Hah... tomorrow I have a rehearsal dinner and Saturday I'm in a friend's wedding, so please don't adjust any Model 3 sales forecasts based on my activity levels over the next two days.

Too late, Model 3 delivery forecasts are now saying the tax incentive will last through the end of the year thanks to the delay in posting the cause of the issue in this thread. A lot of people are excited, but the non-owners that have had their delivery forecast pushed back to mid-2019 are p*ssed.

My buddy drives a Bolt and he has confirmed via analysis of his use of shore power under different temperature regimens. His Bolt begins to show battery conditioning at 12C.
Maybe it is about trickle charging 12V battery? That happens every day. Might happen more often when colder.
Because if vehicle is in daily use, when it is 12*C outside pack is at around +15...+18*C. Which is near ideal.
My Leaf has not had it's battery above +12*C since December (with one exception of double DC charging session).
It would be unacceptable waste by Bolt if it had to constantly heat the battery.
And I have lots of regen available when battery is at least +3...+5*C.

The delay pretty much rules out a direct failure of the 12V battery itself. Probably also not the LI pack -> 12V charger hardware, I'd expect that'd be pretty easy to verify. Could be something software related on the later, though.

Once you get past the obvious and into software & electrical system at large working in the maze of a car's systems can be a real bear. Even with yesterday's cars. Especially here since this is a new system, so the tech involved will still be learning it here. There's training, and reading the nominal book, then there is working on the actual system that rolled off the line. Those are different in important ways.

A family friend took delivery of a new Jeep Grand Cherokee about 5 or so years ago and started having immediate electrical problems. Car ultimately ended up in the shop for 1-2 weeks while they diagnosed and replaced the wiring harness which apparently was faulty and for anyone who knows anything about cars is a nightmare to re-work once the car is built.

The car was however always drive-able

Electricity working right has to be Tesla's forte since it's in their company name. Hopefully they figure this and any other electrical gremlins out so that when they get into real volume production these problems are a thing of the past.

Random thought:

Along with the likely 12v system problem, another possibility would be the car went catatonic because of some kind of safety sensor failure.
I would bet the car goes into "hard shutdown" mode if it thinks something catastrophic has happened.
Let's say for instance a sensor failed and the car thought the battery pack was on fire or something like that.

Still betting it was some simple fault with the 12v system, but there are other possibilities...

• Informative
Reactions: TDR32
Random thought:

Along with the likely 12v system problem, another possibility would be the car went catatonic because of some kind of safety sensor failure.
I would bet the car goes into "hard shutdown" mode if it thinks something catastrophic has happened.
Let's say for instance a sensor failed and the car thought the battery pack was on fire or something like that.

Still betting it was some simple fault with the 12v system, but there are other possibilities...

Sure. If the isolation test circuit failed, it would likely shutdown all HV fed devices, including the pack integrated ones.

If the 12v battery dies (including just running out of charge) on an old ICE car, the car is unusable too.

My Sprinter van's electronics are very sensitive to battery voltage, they will refuse to boot long before the battery is too low to start the engine. The solution is simple: connect a small battery charger, boot the electronics, disconnect the charger, start engine.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
It sucks that your car experience has suffered as a result of all this, but you have taken all this like a champ. Thank you for your sharing and keeping a level head about it. :)

Heh. I used to moderate the official online communities for Fox Television, like X-Files, back before there was an “Internet” with web browsers. This is nothing compared to dealing with fans pissed off about their favorite show being cancelled. ;)