Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 (AWD) - Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RJPOLLY

Jul 15, 2023
CA
Hi
Since I received my Tesla Model 3 (AWD) in June 2022, I had been forgetting to rotate the tires until last month, June 2023, when I finally went to a tire shop (not at Tesla). The tire shop staff informed me that my front tires were still usable, but the rear tires were worn out and no longer safe to use. Consequently, I replaced both rear tires with new ones. I was puzzled as to why the rear tires wore out faster than the front tires, and the tire shop staff explained that this situation typically occurs in rear-wheel-drive vehicles, but my Tesla is undeniably an AWD model. (LONG RANGE - DUAL MOTOR )

I would like to ask if my situation is normal. What should I do? How can I contact Tesla to confirm this ?

I was puzzled as to why the rear tires wore out faster than the front tires, and the tire shop staff explained that this situation typically occurs in rear-wheel-drive vehicles, but my Tesla is undeniably an AWD model. (LONG RANGE - DUAL MOTOR )

I would like to ask if my situation is normal. What should I do? How can I contact Tesla to confirm this ?
Even an AWD 3 is typically primarily a real wheel drive vehicle. the front motor kicks in as needed for acceleration and or when slippage is detected. This has been verified by people running various scanning apps that log the motor behavior under differing conditions.

Reactions: XPsionic and TimTam
Even an AWD 3 is typically primarily a real wheel drive vehicle. the front motor kicks in as needed for acceleration and or when slippage is detected. This has been verified by people running various scanning apps that log the motor behavior under differing conditions.
Exactly right. In addition to that, the rear wheels are also responsible for most of the regen as well.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke