Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is capping batteries again to get more sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla attracts more customers, possibly sells more cars, and doesn't have to change anything on the assembly line. Sounds like usual business to me.

My opinion is that Tesla is willing to take a $10k loss on these sales to increase their market share. A sound decision to push competitors to the side.

It might also be a temporary test. If S/X SR sales are significant, they can make a ~80kW pack just for the SR for future cars. If sales are slow, it's likely not worth the engineering and manufacturing efforts to make an 80 kW pack.

It may make stategical pricing sense to qualify for Tax Credits.

Customer may purchase the standard range, that price qualifies for a Tax Credit. After the qualifying sale, click a button and upgrade to the non-price qualifying long range.

After collecting some data, Tesla, at a later date, could reduce the battery pack size for future sales.

I mean, they were, and now they're not again. What's the harm if it generates sales?
none i guess but at this point with lucid air getting 500 mi...people just are nt gonna want 100-200 miles anymore. Its 2023/24 and ev should be getting at least 300-350 to 600 miles on a full charge and a shorted recharge time. I mean if not then some other company(lucid/rivian/toyota/nissan etc) will make it happen. The biggest hurdle in ev ownership isnt only cost but range worry. If ford does use the tesla charging connector and allowns ev to charge at SC then the whole tesla specialty unique thing will be over.Like a tesla owner wants to pull up to a SC and have to wait for a ford to finish charging? thats kinda another subject....but i was floored to see a lucid air commercial on tv durring peak hours and darn its looks sweet...my neighbor down the street have a porsche taycan and it looks sweet too..Model s is getting old(still look ok) but others are catching up quick. The limiting batteries is a lame move to me and other companies wont lower to this to get sales. No way i am buying a tesla that gets nissan leaf range for2x the price.

The limiting batteries is a lame move to me and other companies wont lower to this to get sales. No way i am buying a tesla that gets nissan leaf range for2x the price.

LOL... then don't buy one. 😄

That doesn't mean it's a bad strategy on Tesla's part. They still sell the unlocked versions... but this $10k cheaper version will cause some people to purchase.

it's actually one of the best strategy out of Tesla so far yet IMO.
They can slowly increase battery capacity as it ages so the owner won't experience reduced range. And You can charge to 100% all the time where in reality is only say 80% of full battery capacity (slower battery degradation).
I wish they do this for all their cars from the get go.

Reactions: electrons4u
none i guess but at this point with lucid air getting 500 mi...people just are nt gonna want 100-200 miles anymore. Its 2023/24 and ev should be getting at least 300-350 to 600 miles on a full charge and a shorted recharge time. I mean if not then some other company(lucid/rivian/toyota/nissan etc) will make it happen. The biggest hurdle in ev ownership isnt only cost but range worry. If ford does use the tesla charging connector and allowns ev to charge at SC then the whole tesla specialty unique thing will be over.Like a tesla owner wants to pull up to a SC and have to wait for a ford to finish charging? thats kinda another subject....but i was floored to see a lucid air commercial on tv durring peak hours and darn its looks sweet...my neighbor down the street have a porsche taycan and it looks sweet too..Model s is getting old(still look ok) but others are catching up quick. The limiting batteries is a lame move to me and other companies wont lower to this to get sales. No way i am buying a tesla that gets nissan leaf range for2x the price.
JUST SAW a polestar 2 commercial durring the jts game tonite..looks sweet..polestar 2... there is alot of competition in the model s sedan area.

none i guess but at this point with lucid air getting 500 mi...people just are nt gonna want 100-200 miles anymore.
Lucid is standing by to collect your $125k (before options) and will happily deliver you a 500+ mile Air (maybe, presuming they can actually make and deliver one in a reasonable time). Not many people cross-shopping an extended-range Air and a $78k Model S.

Its 2023/24 and ev should be getting at least 300-350 to 600 miles on a full charge and a shorted recharge time.
You seem to be implying everybody needs that when in fact very few actually do. Many of us would happily accept a $10k discount in exchange for some software-locked range that we rarely if ever have a need for.

The limiting batteries is a lame move to me and other companies wont lower to this to get sales.
😂
Here's the real kicker, other companies can't because they don't have the margins to make it feasible.

Its 2023/24 and ev should be getting at least 300-350 to 600 miles on a full charge and a shorted recharge time.

When I bought my Model 3, I opted for the LR because I thought "bigger is better, right?". While that's true in some sense, it's false from an economic and ecological standpoint.

We use a very small percentage of our battery for daily driving. Winter definitely makes things tough because it's less efficient and very easy to use a lot of energy preconditioning and heating the cabin... so I do appreciate having a larger battery. It's not necessary though.

Even road trips won't really need larger batteries as charging networks fill in the gaps.

The longer I own an EV and the more comfortable I get with it's range, the less range I really think we all need. A 40kWh battery would really be plenty for almost everyone.

When I bought my Model 3, I opted for the LR because I thought "bigger is better, right?". While that's true in some sense, it's false from an economic and ecological standpoint.

We use a very small percentage of our battery for daily driving. Winter definitely makes things tough because it's less efficient and very easy to use a lot of energy preconditioning and heating the cabin... so I do appreciate having a larger battery. It's not necessary though.

Even road trips won't really need larger batteries as charging networks fill in the gaps.

The longer I own an EV and the more comfortable I get with it's range, the less range I really think we all need. A 40kWh battery would really be plenty for almost everyone.
Totally agree. Stuffing endless tons of lithium into personal transportation devices is not a long-term solution.

Reactions: Mayer and outdoors