Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance: abysmal service via phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good news
I've had Tesla Insurance for 5 months now; generally happy with it.
Their initial estimate of monthly cost, based on a SafetyScore of 90, was a slightly better price than our existing insurance.
Over months 3, 4 and 5, our better safety score brought the cost down a little more, so we will, at the end of the 6th month, have saved maybe $200 vs. the insurance company we've used for decades. Cool so far.
Plus, we have both been able to adjust to the somewhat intrusive SafetyScore game, and even accepted modifying some behaviors to get that score better; and ostensibly, drive safer.
That's the good news.

The need for answers not provided by the Tesla app
But now, at the end of the 5th month, I have several questions that absolutely cannot be answered online, on the app, etc. Two of them I've had for months..., so I've waited a long time to call the Tesla Insurance phone line at 1-844-34-TESLA

Called in today, at 3:35pm Pacific time, so plenty of time, methinks. The phone msg said they were very busy, more than usual, and it'd be an an hour wait. I figure, okay, I've waited for months; I can just do other stuff during the Hold. Msgs repeat, as expected, to try to get customers to use the app. I have; I know the answers aren't there. A little repetitive. But I persevered.

The bad news
After waiting 1 hr 25 mins on hold, I hear a ring tone. I think, I'm in luck. But no, was to a recording telling me that they are closed, and to call in during business hours on another day. (it had just passed 5pm Pacific time)

What does this mean?
That is rude.
And it missed the mark of their own estimate of an hour of wait time.
But moreover, companies that actually care (even a little) about customer service, typically have other things on the phone msg that would help serve customers. Like, revised estimates every 5 or 10 mins on where you are in the queue. Or like. leaving a phone number for them to call you back when your turn comes up in the queue. Or, really, anything at all to show they really do care about their customers.

This is abysmal customer service! Me writing this down here won't change Tesla, I'm certain. They seem quite committed to driving nearly all interaction with customers through the app (and I'm okay with that, for the 99.9% of stuff). But what I needed here is actual customer service from the insurance company that takes several hundred dollars from me each month.

And that, clearly, is not on offer from Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: baguette
The good news
I've had Tesla Insurance for 5 months now; generally happy with it.
Their initial estimate of monthly cost, based on a SafetyScore of 90, was a slightly better price than our existing insurance.
Over months 3, 4 and 5, our better safety score brought the cost down a little more, so we will, at the end of the 6th month, have saved maybe $200 vs. the insurance company we've used for decades. Cool so far.
Plus, we have both been able to adjust to the somewhat intrusive SafetyScore game, and even accepted modifying some behaviors to get that score better; and ostensibly, drive safer.
That's the good news.

The need for answers not provided by the Tesla app
But now, at the end of the 5th month, I have several questions that absolutely cannot be answered online, on the app, etc. Two of them I've had for months..., so I've waited a long time to call the Tesla Insurance phone line at 1-844-34-TESLA

Called in today, at 3:35pm Pacific time, so plenty of time, methinks. The phone msg said they were very busy, more than usual, and it'd be an an hour wait. I figure, okay, I've waited for months; I can just do other stuff during the Hold. Msgs repeat, as expected, to try to get customers to use the app. I have; I know the answers aren't there. A little repetitive. But I persevered.

The bad news
After waiting 1 hr 25 mins on hold, I hear a ring tone. I think, I'm in luck. But no, was to a recording telling me that they are closed, and to call in during business hours on another day. (it had just passed 5pm Pacific time)

What does this mean?
That is rude.
And it missed the mark of their own estimate of an hour of wait time.
But moreover, companies that actually care (even a little) about customer service, typically have other things on the phone msg that would help serve customers. Like, revised estimates every 5 or 10 mins on where you are in the queue. Or like. leaving a phone number for them to call you back when your turn comes up in the queue. Or, really, anything at all to show they really do care about their customers.

This is abysmal customer service! Me writing this down here won't change Tesla, I'm certain. They seem quite committed to driving nearly all interaction with customers through the app (and I'm okay with that, for the 99.9% of stuff). But what I needed here is actual customer service from the insurance company that takes several hundred dollars from me each month.

And that, clearly, is not on offer from Tesla.
yea, that's typical of Tesla. They don't believe in live customer service and feel any matter can be handled through email. Not sure if it's worth the hassle and reduced service it to save a few bucks. I called and wait time is 55 minutes! im going to start shopping around for alternatives...