Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes over cliff-pacific-coast-highway-California-miracle survivors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True enough. If I were a jurist at Mr. Patel's or Mr. Kohberger's trial, I would do my best to clear away any preconceptions and give them the benefit of presumed innocence until the evidence showed otherwise. Fortunately, I'm not in that position.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nice looking family and just so sad that’s what police think happened.
860FDB79-9500-4DC7-BA05-1F45533B2B2D.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Here is the Performance Model Y that was driven off a cliff, plunging 250 feet. The driver has been charged; all of the passengers survived.

No battery fire (yet).
PPF would not have helped
Visible curb rash (was probably there before the crash).

Always wear your seat belt and drive safely.

Someone should start a "totaled or not" thread on this ...

Husband has been arrested and in jail on murder etc charges. Given the wife was conscious at the time paramedics arrived I thought given the early reports of it being intentional on the driver’s part that the wife had made a statement. That was the case. From news reports now she made it clear to the rescuers at that time that it was an intentional act. Makes sense as it being looked at as a murder/suicide so early on after it happened. Apparently also video footage from the tunnel showing the car’s abrupt movement and other witness accounts of no breaking. Thankfully his family survived although sounds like still in the hospital recovering.

• Informative
The LA Times has quotes from the DA saying that the wife told the paramedics that "he intentionally tried to kill us", and they have the video from the tunnel that exits right there that shows him making the sharp right to go around the barrier, and they have witnesses in two cars that were behind the Tesla.

I mean the tunnel was created to avoid the most dangerous parts of Devil's Slide, and they have barriers up around the remaining tricky spots. As mentioned several times, to go off the cliff, you have to drive around the barriers. Impossible to do, accidentally.

Strangely, the kids are staying with one of Patel's sisters. I would think given the circumstances, I'd have the kids staying with the wife's family. They have potential testimony too, and it could be influenced by the husband's family.

• Informative
Reactions: loquitur
Innocent until proven guilty.

That’s still a thing right?
Of course and all the witness statements and video and physical evidence (or lack thereof in case of brake failure or lack of FSD activated and a cause) will be heard by a judge or jurors and determination made as it should. But rationally looking and considering the scene I don’t think it looks good for an accident so understand the charges. The fact that wife and kids survived at least didn’t bring full murder charges.

He was supposed to be arraigned in court on Monday but his attorney asked for a continuance and he returned to jail with a new date of 2/9. Apparently he is suffering from lower body injuries although made his appearance.

I was looking for an update on his family members and a New York Post article reported he was ordered by judge “not to contact his family. His wife remains in hospital. Local reports said one of the children was relatively unharmed, but another suffered a serious injury”. Everyone had been wearing seat belts.

Last edited:

Given all the info, the only way I think he's innocent is if his wife grabbed the steering wheel and he fought/ couldn't recover.. ie wife is the guilty one twist.

On the + side this is the ultimate safety test. Reminds me of the autobahn crash videos that show the guys walking away. My sister's E350 was crushed by an truck on the roof. They walked away too. The cage is amazing

I am curious which other manufacturers come close to matching this kind of safety?

Last edited:

I'm assuming you were joking, right?

If not, I may have mentioned it before, but someone is legally innocent, until proven guilty. The point of that is to protect the perp's civil rights, because you can lose some civil rights when convicted.

If someone were truly "innocent" until proven guilty, think about the mental gymnastics everyone has to perform. What about the DA? What about the investigating detectives? Do they have to assume the perp is innocent? Heck no, they can assume whatever they want, and you can too. Was his wife assuming he was "innocent" when she told the paramedics her husband tried to kill her? Doesn't she know he's innocent until proven guilty? Come on, you have to laugh whenever anyone trots out the "innocent until proven guilty" phrase.

The LA Times has quotes from the DA saying that the wife told the paramedics that "he intentionally tried to kill us", and they have the video from the tunnel that exits right there that shows him making the sharp right to go around the barrier, and they have witnesses in two cars that were behind the Tesla.

I mean the tunnel was created to avoid the most dangerous parts of Devil's Slide, and they have barriers up around the remaining tricky spots. As mentioned several times, to go off the cliff, you have to drive around the barriers. Impossible to do, accidentally.

Strangely, the kids are staying with one of Patel's sisters. I would think given the circumstances, I'd have the kids staying with the wife's family. They have potential testimony too, and it could be influenced by the husband's family.

I'm sure social services did their due diligence before placing the children. They may have already determined that the kids were asleep at the time of the "accident", etc. The wife's testimony should be more than sufficient.

• Informative
If a passenger were to grab at the wheel from the driver they wouldn’t be pushing it to the left (direction car veered off cliff) but you’d be pulling wheel in direction of you the passenger (to the right and Not off cliff). So don’t see that as a defense in the slightest.

I read they wanted to get a statement from the older child, daughter who had injuries. Not sure if that has happened. She is old enough and likely saw or heard what was going on with the parents in the front seat.