Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more pictures here : World's largest lithium-ion battery plant - What Tesla's $5 billion under construction Gigafactory looks like | The Economic Times

On the third picture it looks to me like you can see the shape of the final structure.

GF-shape.jpg

Count me among the people who would prefer to see a working GF #1 before others are started... I know we investors give Tesla and Elon a lot of faith, but I would prefer to see the first factory cranking out great product efficiently at low cost before we decide that this idea is so good it needs to be multiplied x2 or x3. I get that they might be "opportunistic" with capital raises before then but having multiple billion dollar factories with an unproven design gives me the willies.

Along these lines, I'd like to see where the big orders for Powerpacks will come from. Demand for stationary batteries will be quite country specific, owing to how efficienct grids are and how favorable policies may be. So if we knew which countries or regions would take up 50 GWh per year or more, it would make good sense to build GFs there first.

In case it isn't obvious, I am thinking that the stationary market may grow substantially faster than the automotive battery market. Roughly, I'm thinking an out 100% annual growth for stationary and 50% annual growth for autos. If this is right, then GF deployment should follow the stationary markets. Sell Powerpacks locally and ship EV packs wherever they are needed.

I took the "gigafactory as a product" to mean they were going to apply the hardcore engineering and innovation that is present in their other products to the factory. They aren't just building a factory, the same way the Model S wasn't just building a car -- it was a ground up rethinking/reengineering of the car to take advantage of the potential of electric drive in a whole system kind of way. The factory will be innovative in the same respect. They will be building the machines that build the machines as Elon has said, and be able to take advantage of their scale and of the specific demands of making a battery for a single purpose. Then they will iterate new versions at a rapid pace. The gigafactory will be a Tesla product because those are the characteristics of Tesla's products. It will show others it can be done, and accelerate transition to renewable energy by hopefully lighting a fire under other companies to follow along, just like the Model S.

I'd add that Tesla is coming up with its own way of doing everything. That revolutionises the way factories are built. eg:
aligned North/South for GPS reasons.
0% net requirement from the electric grid.
Massive emphasis on using their own batteries (+ solar / and wind) to make the above item possible. Though ironically they've "negotiated/hard-balled" the state to get cheap utilities electricity for like 20 years - so it's possible there's very very little cost reason to even put solar on the factory roof!
Recycling - full product life-cycle built in from the start.
Locating everything as close to the factory as possible.
Raw materials in one end. Finished battery packs out the other.
And will release the blueprints / patents for it so others can copy it. They'll have a head-start, and be the name brand of electric car / battery makers.
They're calling it gigafactory 1... every other one will be like it too. You could probably go from #1 to #2 and not know that you have. They'll look the same, do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

we can stop calculating
It's official, current structure is 1/4 of total GF1

via twitter @ElonMusk
"This is not the full Gigafactory, it is just the pilot plant (1/4 size) "

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/600784025335136256

Makes me think that raw materials comes in at the thin end - and comes out at the other thin end.
If this works ok they'll build the other 3/4 - but it'll be 3x the volumne... still coming in at the thin end - and out the other end.
So the finished factory will have effectively 4 parallel tracks of product going through production (or 2 where the 2nd is 3x the width of the pilot). If that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more pictures here : World's largest lithium-ion battery plant - What Tesla's $5 billion under construction Gigafactory looks like | The Economic Times

On the third picture it looks to me like you can see the shape of the final structure.

View attachment 81292

Well spotted - first time I've seen the actual gigagafactory image as to what it looked like in the render!
Wow is it big!!! I thought we were seeing something closer to the full size already.
PS. why are people calling this the biggest factory in the World? I thought the Boeing one was bigger?

- - - Updated - - -

Another Gigafactory employing 6000+ workers is too big of a political bargaining chip to build in the same spot. The new Arizona Republican governor is 51 years old and tech savvy. He loves Tesla and is dying to get them there, hates the Tesla ban. Same with Texas. Gig2 will be located in one of those two states and the ban on Tesla sales will be lifted. My money is on Texas. Had not Nevada threatened to pull the plug on the entire deal forcing Tesla to make a decision (smooth move Nevada) the Texas deal was weeks away from happening.

One thing for Nevada. It was close to the LA plant by rail - so 500k batteries weighing half a ton each don't have quite so far to go. Also in Nevada there's 2 big lithium mining companies. One is WLC (Western Lithium) with it's lithium brine mine in production.
Would be good if they could build a LA -> Vegas hyperloop with a detour via the gigafactory so as to be able to move the battery packs for zero energy!

Presumably you build them where the sales are, then transportation doesn't enter into it as a major factor.

If you build them in cheap labour countries to sell elsewhere, eventually you will fail because your customers won't have the money to purchase your products because you've taken away the well paying jobs that allow them to purchase your products.

No point building a gigafactory plant for car-batteries EVEN if the cars are sold there - if you DONT have a car factory there to.
If it's PowerWalls' / Packs' then it probably does want to be where raw materials are and customers are. It depends which costs more per ton - the raw materials - or the finished unit. Usually you want to be near cheaper raw materials.
Tesla might not want to go to China for the intelectual property reasons - even if they do have all their patents out there. But I'd think they'd want to be where the raw materials are - and cheap labout, cheap site (with $1bn tax breaks).
If there will never be more than 500k demand for cars a year (supposed capacity when in it's previous guise) then no point building more car factories.

PS. why are people calling this the biggest factory in the World? I thought the Boeing one was bigger?

The largest building in the world (by footprint on the ground) is the Aalsmeer Flower Auction Building in the Netherlands at 5.6 M sq ft, follwed closely by Tesla's Fremont factory at 5.5 M sq ft, which is followed by the soon-to-be-completed Tesla Gigafactory at 5.0 M sq ft, which, finally, is followed by Boeing's factory in Everett at 4.3 M sq ft. The Boeing factory is, however, the largest building by usable space. So the takeaway here is that Tesla will soon own the second and third largest buildings in the world (by footprint)!

List of largest buildings in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought GF was two 5 M Sq ft floors.

It does, why do you ask?

Maybe you misunderstood that he was talking about square feet of land and thus only discussed the size of the first floor. It would be 10 M sq ft with both floors, but it's still 5 M sq ft of land occupied.

And the Boeing Everett Factory? It's taller than 2 floors so has more cubic feet of usable space. It's something on the order of 5 stories tall or so. Yet it takes up only 4.3 M sq ft of land.

I120719_172901_1584346-1.jpg

Whoa! They removed two lines of columns in this May image. Don't believe me? Look back to the last images showing the whole site in April, note that a fifth section had the mentioned columns. I wonder if this is related to the modifications.
You're totally right, pmadflyer! I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. I photoshopped a comparison of the Gigafactory using images from February 28 (airplane shot) and May 17, 2015 (4k drone video). You can clearly see that since February, all of section 5 has been completely removed. Why would Tesla do this? Were they short on supplies and needed to focus on completing sections 1-4? Was it due to a design change? Thoughts?
giga compare.jpg