Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that 'section 5', which was barley started, is gone. Sections 1-4 look much wider over the 2.5 weeks. I'm OK with that......Should we care?
During the most recent earnings call Elon talked about increasing Gigafactory production by 50% to help cope with the overwhelming demand for energy storage. Increasing building size by 50% with such short notice seems a bit impractical for many reasons (cost, time, engineering, etc.), so I think he meant that they were going to make the process 50% more efficient. In addition to making the factory more efficient, Elon probably wants to start pack production sooner than initially planned to help meet demand. My theory is that they halted (and even cannibalized) section 5 so that they could divert all resources to completing sections 1-4 first. This is evidenced by the complete lack of spare beams lying around and the February vs. May images I posted earlier. Perhaps sections 1-5 were meant to house the core pack production and they found a way to cram it into just 4 sections. This would be consistent with the goal of increasing Gigafactory efficiency. Thoughts?

During the most recent earnings call Elon talked about increasing Gigafactory production by 50% to help cope with the overwhelming demand for energy storage. Increasing building size by 50% with such short notice seems a bit impractical for many reasons (cost, time, engineering, etc.), so I think he meant that they were going to make the process 50% more efficient. In addition to making the factory more efficient, Elon probably wants to start pack production sooner than initially planned to help meet demand. My theory is that they halted (and even cannibalized) section 5 so that they could divert all resources to completing sections 1-4 first. This is evidenced by the complete lack of spare beams lying around and the February vs. May images I posted earlier. Perhaps sections 1-5 were meant to house the core pack production and they found a way to cram it into just 4 sections. This would be consistent with the goal of increasing Gigafactory efficiency. Thoughts?

My thought exactly. So, I am OK with sacrificing '5' to finish off '1-4' sooner and get battery production started asap.

Actually, I think that sounds perfectly believable. By doing that, they can start producing in 1Q16. They have said all year that production would start sometime in 2016, but only recently said first quarter. I want to know if the equipment is already more or less finished, waiting to be shipped in. I also expected the train tracks to be used for transportation of large machines, but maybe trucks will be utilized to further speed progress.

Cool. This one looks like a model, not just a rendering, so probably by Tesla? Has anyone else seen it before?
On the left I think that´s where the railroad line goes. Comparing with the photo, it seems to me that the proportions don´t work out for the part that is built being the one marked in yellow in the model. Or is it just perspective?

72d227eb2aa0e3a9bac956fdf53ce5e9.png
3f64f9a5f756abc33916cc751f8508af.png

Last edited:
Cool. This one looks like a model, not just a rendering, so probably by Tesla? Has anyone else seen it before?
On the left I think that´s where the railroad line goes. Comparing with the photo, it seems to me that the proportions don´t work out for the part that is built being the one marked in yellow in the model. Or is it just perspective?

View attachment 83086 View attachment 83096

That scale model doesn't all fit the structure being built.

- - - Updated - - -

Think this photo is the most interesting one. Looks like the substation being built. To the east of the building.
4e3a8b72a1e440b8b38bfffe4bc9e236.jpg

Ummm, they're pouring concrete on the roof?

eventually the roof will have a bunch of air handling equipment (HVAC, purifiers, heat exchangers, whatever is needed for the clean rooms to function and the staff to be comfortable) plus thousands of solar panels and racking. You need some sort of solid base to keep the equipment from falling through the roof.

Here is a video of a much smaller concrete roof in a tropical climate Pouring the concrete roof - YouTube
Here is one in the middle east (I assume, no location stated) Roof slab concrete - YouTube

I'm no construction expert but I assume it's a common process as it was so easy to find pictures and videos of the process on google.