Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fort Worth Service Center won't sell me parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I called to order a front bumper cover and some other related items, but they said only Tesla approved body shops can order parts. I told the rep that the parts were listed as "Unrestricted" in the parts catalog, then he said he would have to speak to his manager, then he left me on hold for 10 minutes until the line cut off on Tesla's end. Never did hear an answer, and no one called me back. Before I try again, I though it wise to ask the owner community what their experiences have been buying parts from Tesla?

I also read that some Service centers have different sales policies than others, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Unfortunately, you are a hassle to deal with. The policy has not changed but SC's can tell you they no longer do OTC sales. There is no official policy but knowing how the advisors are rated on customer repair throughput, your parts order with no labor, gains nothing for them. Being in SoCal, I have several SC's close by and they all handle things differently per location and advisor. Creating a service ticket in your app requesting parts and supplying the part number is a good next step after your phone call experience. At that point you will have documentation in the system that you can reference if you need to escalate. Phone calls and walk ups are easy to blow off because there is no paper trail.

Tesla's policy creates a black market. I need a Quarter back right side pocket Tesla model 3 1104200-S0-A and it's not over the counter. The part is only $85 but I can't get it but a small certified service center posted on offerup that he can get any part and wants it for $200. One might ask why don't I bring it to a certified tesla body shop to fix my minor damage? Cost!!! a certified body shop wants to charge close to $5000 whereas a non-certified shop only charges $1200.

My SC blacklisted me when I asked too many questions about HV battery pack parts listed at OTC. To their credit, the next time I looked, those internal parts were gone from the catalog, but the point remains, Tesla actively does everything they can to get the old cars off the road hoping people give up and buy a new one. They do this with HV components they won't sell, they do this with F-U pricing on used batteries and they do this slow-walking body parts and bottle necking 'approved' repair shops so that a minor fender-bender totals the car because your insurance company doesn't want to pay for 3 months on a rental.

I can't wait for some real auto manufacturers to make a good EV so Tesla can lose the market share they deserve to lose from being a truly awful company to deal with. [\soapbox]

Yeah, unfortunately this is a heavily location dependent issue... Many service managers run the service centers like their own personal fiefdoms and make up their own rules. Officially if it is listed as an over the counter part on EPC, you *should* be able to walk into a service center and get it. I would try to go in to the service center with a printout of the part on EPC showing it as over the counter, and see if that works out for you. Otherwise, your only other options are to try a different service center, or see if you can get an independent shop with a parts account to order the parts for you online.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam