Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2583/4 year/50k
1291/2 year/25k

hmmm...
upload_2020-9-4_10-3-45.png

aren't there lots of companies that will sell you extended warranties? its basically just a form of insurance. Or will most of them not cover Teslas yet? if they do I doubt the one Tesla is promoting will be the best value since they will be giving Tesla a serious kickback

aren't there lots of companies that will sell you extended warranties? its basically just a form of insurance. Or will most of them not cover Teslas yet? if they do I doubt the one Tesla is promoting will be the best value since they will be giving Tesla a serious kickback
Surely it means that if you have a problem you take the car to Tesla Direct to get It fixed which seems a reasonable deal If that’s the case or do you think you go to a third party for repairs ?

Surely it means that if you have a problem you take the car to Tesla Direct to get It fixed which seems a reasonable deal If that’s the case or do you think you go to a third party for repairs ?
Quoting £2425 for a four year extra warranty.Anyone actually bought this yet or too early for the uk ? I really think that £500 annually is a good deal....only if the policy is good though !

I suspect we'll see more comprehensive extended warranties in a year or so once the Model 3 gets closer to the end of it's warranty period when companies get a better idea as to likely costs and claim frequency. Tesla want you to buy more cars, and it seems most tesla's are on finance so how not sure how many extended warranties they would sell.

The other factor is the rate of development for EV's. Not sure I would want to keep my Tesla for longer than 4 years with the new battery cells due in a couple years for example.

I suspect we'll see more comprehensive extended warranties in a year or so once the Model 3 gets closer to the end of it's warranty period when companies get a better idea as to likely costs and claim frequency. Tesla want you to buy more cars, and it seems most tesla's are on finance so how not sure how many extended warranties they would sell.

The other factor is the rate of development for EV's. Not sure I would want to keep my Tesla for longer than 4 years with the new battery cells due in a couple years for example.
You see as i have bought FSD and thinking Acceleration Boost, you have a long term investment in the car....

If we have paid for the software it would be redundant without the latest hardware - i assume upgrades would be free.

Unfortunately I think your being EXTREMELY optimistic there. It's much more likely that we would get told, well your software still works to its limits, but if you want the next version of the software that does this much more, then you need to upgrade.

Reactions: btc1k
Quoting £2425 for a four year extra warranty.Anyone actually bought this yet or too early for the uk ? I really think that £500 annually is a good deal....only if the policy is good though !
Wow. Like any insurance policy, they are generally only worthwhile if the cost is a very low single digit % of the potential claim cost.

£2425 seems extortionate to me. So genuine question as I try to educate myself - what annual warranty claims are you thinking might happen, or over 4 years?

No problem, you'll get your prorated refund for unused years/miles if you prematurely sell or trade-in your car.

Last edited:
Wow. Like any insurance policy, they are generally only worthwhile if the cost is a very low single digit % of the potential claim cost.

£2425 seems extortionate to me. So genuine question as I try to educate myself - what annual warranty claims are you thinking might happen, or over 4 years?
Not really ! In Switzerland it costs 3'580 CHF (4 years) for a Model S. I had to pay 1'500 CHF (1 year ) for a Audi SQ5 !

Just paid GBP 2428.00 further four years/50,000 miles extended warranty with Tesla/ Helvetia.Purchased the Model 3 in 2019 so this kicks in around another two years time........ job done ! Paid online with the coverage certificate issued immediately by email.Excess is NIL.You deal direct with the Tesla service centre no third party.

Reactions: rotor2k