Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DC charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks jcstp! Revised section of the article (emulating strikethrough with color here):
"If you look at an 'H' system [in the U.S.], the most popular routes on the west coast, the east coast and then cross-country, and then you have little spoke systems along the way, you pretty much cover the country with not that many systems," he said.

How many make up the "not that many" that it would take to blanket the country coasts "pretty well"? Reyes said it's fewer than 30 locations. (*UPDATE: Reyes emailed to say this number is just to cover the coasts.) Once this basic network is in place, more out-of-the-way routes could get Superchargers.

I assume those initial locations will completely leave out most of the midwest and south. I wonder if the east west route will be I-80.
I-80 would be pretty decent. NY-Chicago is a pretty fundamental route. Though arguably I-70 needs it more, the I-80/I-90 overlap section is one of the major transportation corridors of the nation.

I actually don't think starting with the coasts is wise as a rollout, let alone starting with the West Coast first. The West Coast already has chargers available; California can be covered by what, three, four superchargers, and then they'd be pouring money into California-Oregon drives, which is a small market. The East Coast has alternative transportation for north-south trips.

The cross-country routes through the Midwest and South, on the other hand, need chargers badly, and are full of large cities. I-80 would be a good start. Then I-10. This diagram is convenient for seeing the network shape on the Interstates, should you wish to plot out your own priorities: 75 - A Diagram of the Eisenhower Interstate System | Strange Maps | Big Think

But Tesla seems committed to this order of rollout. Hope they get around to the useful chargers soon. :confused:

I actually don't think starting with the coasts is wise as a rollout, let alone starting with the West Coast first.

Hi,

In my opinion initially Tesla should put their Superchargers on major highways between those locations with the highest customer density.

Here's an approximation of the distribution of Model S reservation holders.

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=295135

Obviously Tesla has better visibility of where all of their customers are located, including the Roadster owners, but based on this cross section of Model S reservation holders, generally starting with the coasts makes sense for the initial roll-out.

Larry

It's very approximate. You'd think there were hardly any reservations in Toronto, but I know that there are more reservations there than anywhere else in Canada.

Hi Doug,

Agreed, but the point I was trying to make was that Tesla does know where the reservations are with precision. If they say they are going to start on the coasts I'm inclined to believe they have the data to support the fact that those locations are where most of their customers are located.

Larry

Hi Doug,

Agreed, but the point I was trying to make was that Tesla does know where the reservations are with precision. If they say they are going to start on the coasts I'm inclined to believe they have the data to support the fact that those locations are where most of their customers are located.

Larry

Agreed. But I sure hope they put a couple on the 401.

I-80 would be pretty decent. NY-Chicago is a pretty fundamental route. Though arguably I-70 needs it more, the I-80/I-90 overlap section is one of the major transportation corridors of the nation.

I actually don't think starting with the coasts is wise as a rollout, let alone starting with the West Coast first. The West Coast already has chargers available; California can be covered by what, three, four superchargers, and then they'd be pouring money into California-Oregon drives, which is a small market. The East Coast has alternative transportation for north-south trips.

The cross-country routes through the Midwest and South, on the other hand, need chargers badly, and are full of large cities. I-80 would be a good start. Then I-10. This diagram is convenient for seeing the network shape on the Interstates, should you wish to plot out your own priorities: 75 - A Diagram of the Eisenhower Interstate System | Strange Maps | Big Think

But Tesla seems committed to this order of rollout. Hope they get around to the useful chargers soon. :confused:

fullinterstatemap-web.jpg

Ideal map to find the most important points to put chargers!

Hi,

In my opinion initially Tesla should put their Superchargers on major highways between those locations with the highest customer density.

Obviously Tesla should try to serve the people in the areas with the highest customer density first... but I don't think that necessarily means putting the chargers between locations with with the highest customer density. You have to pay attention to the trip behavior of the people in each location. The extreme example is Hawaiians, who don't need any superchargers because they'll never drive far enough.

Yes, SF-LA seems like a wise starting point, as it is a popular car route. But what would be the next most important route for people in California? Probably LA-Las Vegas, not northward to Portland.

I heard from the sales rep in the Bellevue Tesla store that they will put one in Ellensburg (about 110 miles from Seattle on I-90) where the current HPC is located. That's the deal maker for me since my parents live another 60 miles east. The 230 mi pack will easily get me over there driving 75 mph with a 20 minute rest stop at the super charger (since the wife and kids prefer a rest stop rather than a 3 hour straight drive)

I heard from the sales rep in the Bellevue Tesla store that they will put one in Ellensburg (about 110 miles from Seattle on I-90) where the current HPC is located. That's the deal maker for me since my parents live another 60 miles east. The 230 mi pack will easily get me over there driving 75 mph with a 20 minute rest stop at the super charger (since the wife and kids prefer a rest stop rather than a 3 hour straight drive)

Ellensburg is good for me, as it would get me to Seattle from Spokane with a breakfast or lunch break there. However, I also need to get to CA from WA, so we have to have at least two between Seattle and Sacramento.

Do you suppose Ellensburg is a one-off to allow the Spokane--Seattle run? Or is this the beginning of a:
  • Route across I-90? Seems unlikely to me at this point, as there's nothing sizeable, for a long time, on I-90.
  • Route across I-84? Build from Ellensburg to Hermiston, OR to Ontario, OR (near Boise) to Twin Falls, ID to Ogden, UT, and you've linked Salt Lake City, Boise and Seattle. Then Rock Spring, WY to Rawlins, WY to Cheyenne, WY to Denver, CO. (From Rock Springs WY, it's 180 miles to Jackson WY)

fwiw, I think Ellensburg is just to tie eastern WA to the west. Of course eventually we'll have a northern route across I-90, (I wish it could be sooner of course), but as mentioned, for population density reasons, a southerly route cross-country is the likely candidate to be first.